Yamaha EPH-100
Nov 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3,003 of 4,690
Quote:
Would you mind sharing your EQ settings? Just flat? :)

Yes, I use no EQ settings, just plain flat latest Rockbox version running from the Clip+... 
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3,004 of 4,690
So I've had my Yams for a while now and totally love their sound. This is my first IEM, or headphones for that matter, that costs greater than $20, aside from the stock iBuds that came with my iPhone 4. I've been having issues with the fit though. Normal single flanges are what I prefer as these stock bi-flanges hurt my ears. I was wondering what size I should buy if I use the medium stock bi-flanges, in particular, the foam tips from lostearbuds. The medium stocks give me a pretty good seal but I think the seal could be better. 

I've also been wondering how they're suppose to be inserted and how deep? I've read that the depth doesn't really matter with these Yams as they have a low distortion? I want to get the most out of these with my current setup (or lack thereof 
tongue_smile.gif
). 

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #3,005 of 4,690
Hey all, I have been enjoying these for about a year now, wondering if anyone can recommend a pair a full size portables that compare with this Yamaha sound sig. So far I've tried the Sony MDR-1R and the bass is just no where near these (when called for). Also have sold my Pioneer HDJ-2000's, so those are not an option either. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #3,006 of 4,690
Hey all, I have been enjoying these for about a year now, wondering if anyone can recommend a pair a full size portables that compare with this Yamaha sound sig. So far I've tried the Sony MDR-1R and the bass is just no where near these (when called for). Also have sold my Pioneer HDJ-2000's, so those are not an option either. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Yamaha also have a headphone called HPH-200, came out around the same time as EPH-100.

There's not much info on it here though besides a recent thread I found.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637398/yamaha-getting-ignored-the-grado-killer-hph-200

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,009 of 4,690
Hmm, well the V-Moda M80s sound very much like the EPH100 IMO, with similarly glossy treble and well-measured bass, but they are vented and therefore will not offer optimal for windy NY streets and crowded metro stations. Depending on your price range and the level of SQ you require, you might want to check out the Creative Aurvana Live (circa $80) and the UE6000 ($200 at Best Buy); I auditioned the UEs today and they definitely pack serious subbass presence, and it's not muddy or overwhelming, especially considering the price range. It's more of a U-shaped signature, the mids aren't as forward as the EPH100, but their bass walks all over my old $200 favorites, the Phiaton MS400, which might also be worth a look. The MS400 have great mids, do vocals extremely well for a portable, and have a nice warm, punchy feel like the EPH100, but treble is not as prominent as the Yams, and the subbass definitely doesn't rip like the UE6000, although it is pleasantly punchy and full-bodied.

Also remember that headphone bass is going to have inherently different qualities from IEM bass, so don't go thinking there is a perfect match out there. If quality bass is your primary consideration though, give the UE6000s a listen; sure they look flashy, but they have sound to back it up.

Quote:
Thanks for that. Problem is: they are open, I really need some type of isolation for the NYC subways. I think I may look in to their PRO line (300,400,500).

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #3,010 of 4,690
Thanks for the info, I will look into the UE6000s. I had the TMA-1s for a while and loved the bass, but not much else, very V shaped. Not many other options out there. Would be nice to hear the velodyne full sized cans, but the size and styling is just too much for me.
I also ordered the yam pro 500s earlier in the day, in blue... the styling screams beats knock offs, but that huge yam logo and the color remind me of their sport bikes, in the end though it all comes down to the sound, on which I will report back as soon as I've had some time with them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,011 of 4,690
Hey all!

I recently ordered my pair of EPH-100s! I'm expecting to get them within 3 days. I'll post up my first impressions and 'after 100 hours' review. I have owned several mid range earphones over the past years such as the Klipsch Image S4, Monster Jamz, Beats by dr dre Tour, amongst others. I regularly produce electronic music as a hobby and find it essential to be able to have good sound.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #3,013 of 4,690
I received them but didn't get a chance to try them out. I have been busy with my new W4 recently :) 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3,015 of 4,690
Hi guys,

I've had the EPH-100's for more than 8 months now and I think they are brilliant. However I've had some issues with them which are making me consider getting different earphones. As many have mentioned here my EPH-100's have the moisture caused sound problem as well. I also find that they seem to fall out of my ears quite often while walking. Thus I would like to know what alternative earphones there are that sound as good as the Yamaha's.

I've currently got the Klipsch S4, Atrio MG7 and Sound Magic E30, and I've previously owned the Klipsch X10, JVC FXT90 and UE TF10. So basically I'd like some recommendation besides those mentioned.

Thanks

I'd recommend the Ortofon e-Q5s as an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back