Yamaha EPH-100
Sep 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,822 of 4,690
Quote:
How does EPH-100 compare against SM3 especially in means of bass (quantity and quality)? I have SM3 and that's my only reference point, so I'd appreciate it if one who owns'em both could do this comparison...

I think the EPH has a bit more bass. Quality is the same (by memory). But SM3's treble is WAY better. However instrument separation is superior on the EPH-100's and they're brighter. I think you would like them (except for the treble quality if you're a treble-head).

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2,823 of 4,690
You guys are seriously confusing me. I was so sure to just get these, but the past like 5 pages are pretty much exclusively problems. I need to update from my S4's(cable cuts off at certain angles) and these seemed perfect, inexpensive and great sound. Every single thread I looked at has the few last pages of problems.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,825 of 4,690
Yep it's a minority, one that you should be aware of, may not seem like much when taking into account how many pairs have been sold. But when you raise the rate of issues by even a few %, it becomes a LOT when you look at it from that perspective. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,828 of 4,690
Sep 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,830 of 4,690
From what I know of them.

You will be happier.

Congrats, Jim
Quote:
haha, I've spent days and days deciding whether to get the eph-100 or gr07 mk2...  your reply honestly just made me decide on the gr07 mk2

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,831 of 4,690
The moist ear wax part might be a problem. The other issue is the metal housing along with a temperature difference causing condensation. If the inside of your ear is 100 degrees and its also 100 or close to it in your room or outside then you probably wont have a condensation issue, but a 100 degree ear with it being 60 outside will cause condensation.

I have this same issue with my GR01 sometimes. For example, I had just cleaned my ears this morning and gave them a couple hours to dry. Later in the day i took a calm walk outside with my GR01's in, it was about 65 degrees outside. When i took them back out of my ears after a maybe 30 minute walk the tips were clean but there was moisture around the nozzles on my GR01's. This time it hadnt gotten bad enough to wet the paper filter, but i have had an issue before where it would wet the filter and id either have to let them sit and dry, or id have to unscrew the filter and blow through it to dry it or force the moisture away from the filter.

Now this isnt a permanent issue on my GR01 because the filter can be unscrewed and cleaned, but if the EPH-100 can't be taken apart to clean then this will be more of an issue. This is why a metal housing isnt always a good idea, especially when the nozzle doesnt come apart.

Quote:
i have moist ear wax and live in a warm environment... should i be worried?

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,832 of 4,690
I also have moist ears wax, but are very clean so it's not what's the cause of the sound dying on one side.

Usually when you have moist ear wax, you have warmer ear canals and produce more moisture, which you can see a big collection of moisture collected on the nozzle/grills of the EPH100. You can clean them on the outside, but it's what's built up in the inside that kills the sound temporarily, and sometimes in rare cases - permanently. 

Look, get the EPH100s as you'll probably enjoy the sound more over the GR07s as they have a more fun sound signature - however on the off chance that it does happen to you.. you'll regret it and wish you got the GR07s in the first place. 

I sold my GR07s as I thought the EPH100s were going to last me for ages, then went through 4 pairs now... 

Regretted selling my GR07s and going through the extent on getting 4 pairs of EPH100s, should've just spent a bit more and gotten the IE80 in the first place though!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,833 of 4,690
Why's it always the right side of EPH that goes out? You would think if moist ears were the cause it would occur both sides.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2,834 of 4,690
I see no logical reason why it would happen on the right side only for multiple people. I havent read this whole thread, so i didnt realize its only been the right side thats going out. Thats is definitely a bit strange.
Quote:
Why's it always the right side of EPH that goes out? You would think if moist ears were the cause it would occur both sides.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #2,835 of 4,690
Its a shame that the only comments for the past 20 or so pages have gone to purley discussing this one, very, minority flaw that people just seem to be purely speculating on (105 owners and 3 issues so far on my count-still ongoing).  Cant imagine the number of people that have been put off of one of the best sounding earphones under 300 imho due to the latter part of this.  Its a damm shame. 

As for mine, 500+ hours going strong and never an issue for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back