Yamaha EPH-100
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #2,386 of 4,690
Quote:
Yes I did so maybe that is why then - Still almost 1 week is not great

Have you tried asking their online support about what's happening with your order? They have online chat service... 
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2,388 of 4,690
It's not about the buying, it's about the speed of product delivery. If you buy PayPal and tell the vendor to send it ground from across the world, then it'll take longer. If you ask for faster shipping, you get it quicker.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,389 of 4,690
Quote:
I tell you what I think happened.
As we're aware moisture builds up on the grills, which evaporates (for what reason we don't know completely) enough moisture in-fact that it could well of blocked the tiny holes partially blocking the sound. Make sure you check the grills if it happens again. Also clean the grills once a week with a "small amount" of alcohol on a q-tip rubbing it over the grill lightly. When you do this face the nozel side ways so there's less chance of alcohol running inside the housing.
Sounds like the moisture evaporated whilst you were in the shower.

With all due respect, I don't think this is exactly what happened. Moisture may well be a part of the problem, but I'm having the same problem with my EPHs and I have been listening to them when  the volume in the right ear drops to about 20% of the left. It happens instantly. So maybe the moisture is interfering with the electronics - i don't know - but if the holes were blocking the sound, it would happen gradually, and most likely, in both ears (unless neither of us have sweat glands in our left ears).

If anyone else comes up with anything, please post, because I use mine almost constantly and it is happening every day. I'll be contacting Yamaha soon. Hopefully it is a known defect and they will simply replace them. I'll report on any outcome.

cheers.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #2,390 of 4,690
With all due respect, I don't think this is exactly what happened. Moisture may well be a part of the problem, but I'm having the same problem with my EPHs and I have been listening to them when  the volume in the right ear drops to about 20% of the left. It happens instantly. So maybe the moisture is interfering with the electronics - i don't know - but if the holes were blocking the sound, it would happen gradually, and most likely, in both ears (unless neither of us have sweat glands in our left ears).

If anyone else comes up with anything, please post, because I use mine almost constantly and it is happening every day. I'll be contacting Yamaha soon. Hopefully it is a known defect and they will simply replace them. I'll report on any outcome.

cheers.

Hi, thanks for chiming in.

I was taking a wild guess earlier, now you mention in depth how it's occurring it sure makes me wonder if it's indeed an electrical fault due moisture (which I think would be causing the temporary short). Rather than try and work out theory's we'll wait for your reply from Yamaha. Please be sure to let us know what they say.

Cheers.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,391 of 4,690
I went ahead and sent out an inquiry to Yamaha and they replied with directions on how to return them for replacement. Didn't acknowledge that there may be a defect, but when I asked if  the fact that the problem is intermittent would cause any problems during their evaluation, he told me to send along a copy of my email conversation with him indicating I was instructed to return them.

Now I get to listen to crap sound quality in the meantime. pfft.

Grateful to head-fi, though. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,393 of 4,690
I went ahead and sent out an inquiry to Yamaha and they replied with directions on how to return them for replacement. Didn't acknowledge that there may be a defect, but when I asked if  the fact that the problem is intermittent would cause any problems during their evaluation, he told me to send along a copy of my email conversation with him indicating I was instructed to return them.

Now I get to listen to crap sound quality in the meantime. pfft.

Grateful to head-fi, though. Thanks.

Hopefully they have some answers for you. My prediction is they'll simply replace them without much else said. It would mean a lot for Yamaha to explain the problem, as not doing so may prevent future sales of this particular model. A lot of people read this thread and as all consumers it only takes a minor set back for them to look elsewhere, especially with so many alternatives on the market.

Keep us posted please.

How are the ear tips for small ears. My left ear can be particularly difficult to get a nice fit with.

They come in 5? different sizes, ranging from super small to extra large. I would find it strange if you couldn't get a fit with the tips provided. Even using a different size on each ear if need be.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2,394 of 4,690
Quote:
Hopefully they have some answers for you. My prediction is they'll simply replace them without much else said. It would mean a lot for Yamaha to explain the problem, as not doing so may prevent future sales of this particular model. A lot of people read this thread and as all consumers it only takes a minor set back for them to look elsewhere, especially with so many alternatives on the market.
Keep us posted please.
They come in 5? different sizes, ranging from super small to extra large. I would find it strange if you couldn't get a fit with the tips provided. Even using a different size on each ear if need be.

Minor setback that i have never experienced and i bet the majority havent either.  As with all things people make a lot more noise when they are bitching rather than the ones that are content and dont post here at all.  Its a shame this happens as it probably has put a few folk off of a great iem (imo one on the best).

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #2,395 of 4,690
Minor setback that i have never experienced and i bet the majority havent either.  As with all things people make a lot more noise when they are bitching rather than the ones that are content and dont post here at all.  Its a shame this happens as it probably has put a few folk off of a great iem (imo one on the best).

I don't think people should be put off by this problem. If it was showing repetition in high numbers, yes. I've had mine over four months now, although I do see that strange condensation build up sometimes after removal I've not had a problem with imbalance issues. We've had two people experience the imbalance from how many? close to a 50 - 80 I'm guessing. Maybe there was bad patch get through QC.

I'm actually using mine fulltime atm over GRO7 and TF10 with my new rig. I've said this before, EPH are the only IEM I own where I can simply listen to the music without constantly analyzing the sound, which although fun in the audiophile world can become a battle when one just wants to chill out to some tunes. The separation these possess is fantastic, with the flick of my E11 - EQ I can turn them from calm and soothing into a virtual nightclub.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2,396 of 4,690
I was looking for a replacement for my monster turbine earphones. one of the mesh filters or whatever its called got lost and monster support is just really bad so I figured never to buy from them again. I recently bought the EPH-100 and I'm far from an audiophile but the EPH-100 are just a lot better than the Monster Turbines. The EPH-100 provides plenty bass for a Hip Hop head like me but it also provides you with some fine seperation. They are a definite step up from the Turbines!

Thanks again head-fi!

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,397 of 4,690
Finally got my pair from Audio affair!

On first listen out of my clip+ I wasnt very impressed but when plugged into my amplifier and dac they sound pretty impressive...

The bass is really good and the seperation and soundstage are also probably the best I have heard from IEM....

I think these will take a bit of getting used to because the signature of the sound is quite different to what I am used to although the more I listen to them the more I like them.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,399 of 4,690
Finally got my pair from Audio affair!

On first listen out of my clip+ I wasnt very impressed but when plugged into my amplifier and dac they sound pretty impressive...

The bass is really good and the seperation and soundstage are also probably the best I have heard from IEM....

I think these will take a bit of getting used to because the signature of the sound is quite different to what I am used to although the more I listen to them the more I like them.

true.
this is the best iem in dynamic driver for clarity, instrument separation and soundstage.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,400 of 4,690
Quote:
true.
this is the best iem in dynamic driver for clarity, instrument separation and soundstage.

Compared to what?

Thanks, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back