Yamaha EPH-100
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,206 of 4,690
Quote:
For those of you in Europe (excluding UK) that bought your EPH-100 from AudioAffair, can you tell me how long it took to get them? Mine were shipped 2 weeks ago (according to AudioAffair's info), but they still haven't arrived... 
frown.gif

I Ordered mine on a tuesday (they got shipped the same day from UK), and i got them on friday..I live in stockholm/sweden (we have very fast postal service though).
I think it passed 3 different statuses on Royal Mail tracking-service before arriving, Where do you live? 

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2,207 of 4,690
Quote:
I Ordered mine on a tuesday (they got shipped the same day from UK), and i got them on friday..I live in stockholm/sweden (we have very fast postal service though).
I think it passed 3 different statuses on Royal Mail tracking-service before arriving, Where do you live? 

I live in Portugal. The Royal Mail website doesn't show any info for the tracking number I have, but AudioAffair support says that's normal as it will only show info when it's delivered... 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,208 of 4,690
Quote:

I live in Portugal. The Royal Mail website doesn't show any info for the tracking number I have, but AudioAffair support says that's normal as it will only show info when it's delivered... 
rolleyes.gif

Okey, sounds odd, i guess the swedes get this special treatment but not the portuguese :/
Do you mind doing some comparisons with the GR07 as you get them, i'm curious to know..
Don't forget to burn-in these, i do think they benefit from it, they sounded quite sibilant initially, then after 10-15 hours of pink noise = totally different..

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #2,209 of 4,690
Quote:
Okey, sounds odd, i guess the swedes get this special treatment but not the portuguese :/
Do you mind doing some comparisons with the GR07 as you get them, i'm curious to know..
Don't forget to burn-in these, i do think they benefit from it, they sounded quite sibilant initially, then after 10-15 hours of pink noise = totally different..

Sure but I need to get them first! 
biggrin.gif

Still, some pages back in this thread, at |joker|'s IEM thread and the GR07 thread, you'll find already lot's of comparisons between the two... 
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #2,210 of 4,690
Wow, I am now super disappointed. I just got these on Friday, and today, about one hour into listening at 70% volume via iPod, the sound just went to crap in a split second. It is now producing heavy distortion and a definite channel imbalance on the left side. I'm returning these to Amazon tomorrow. That's insane that these are defective after 5 days. I really enjoyed the sound beforehand too...

triportsad.gif

I don't know if I just got a bad pair or if I can trust these and buy another pair.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #2,212 of 4,690
I think I'm going to get the VSonic GR07 MK2 instead. The build-up of condensation on the driver bothered me, and now that they've failed, I'm not really interested in replacing them.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #2,214 of 4,690
Quote:
I think I'm going to get the VSonic GR07 MK2 instead. The build-up of condensation on the driver bothered me, and now that they've failed, I'm not really interested in replacing them.

I was trying to decide between the EPH-100 and GR07 MK2 as well. I ordered the GR07 MK2 two days ago and can't wait until they arrive. I prefer a more neutral/"less exciting" signature, due to the darker/melancholy kinds of music I listen to, so I decided to go with the VSonics. Based on everything I've read, the EPH-100 are very fun/exciting iems (probably too exciting for me lol), but I have a feeling I'll probably try out them out sometime, considering Amazon's stellar return policy.
Quote:
GR-07 MK2? Whats the difference for the GR-07? Haven't heard of those yet.

It has "more silver wires" which is supposed to reduce sibilance[size=x-small]It also has a sexier cable that I've read is even more comfortable and sits even nicer over the ear compared to the non MK2. As for sound comparisons, I don't think anyone who has owned the GR07, currently owns the GR07 MK2. It just came out last Thursday and you may want to check out this thread for upcoming info.[/size]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617259/vsonic-gr07-mk2-stunning-new-cable-bio-cellulose-technology-iem

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #2,216 of 4,690
Quote:
I was trying to decide between the EPH-100 and GR07 MK2 as well. I ordered the GR07 MK2 two days ago and can't wait until they arrive. I prefer a more neutral/"less exciting" signature, due to the darker/melancholy kinds of music I listen to, so I decided to go with the VSonics. Based on everything I've read, the EPH-100 are very fun/exciting iems (probably too exciting for me lol), but I have a feeling I'll probably try out them out sometime, considering Amazon's stellar return policy.

Amazon does have a top-notch return policy, thankfully. It's about as hassle-free as things can get. The EPH-100 are definitely fun. Their bass is probably perfect in terms of impact and extension. They felt really full and never bled over the mids. I'll probably miss its bass when the GR07 MK2 arrives, but if it'll last me a good year, or 2, or 3 I'll be happier in the long run! I need something that I can listen to for long sessions (the EPH condensation prevents that) and lasts. I'll sacrifice some bass rumble.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #2,217 of 4,690
Strange, mine have condensation build up on the grills but it's only a small, small amount, they've done so for three months now without a problem. Sometimes it's there, other times not. I still can't pin point exactly why they do it though it's never been of major concern for me.

I was comparing both earlier today.

The bass on GRO7 MK2 is quite a bit less, especially mid bass where EPH-100 push their bass presentation. GRO7 don't sound as full, or dynamic with less body though go down a touch deeper in sub-bass rumble when called upon. I often find myself using bass boost a lot more with GRO7, also nudging volume up as compensation. So, they'll be a shock to people coming from the Yamaha. The GRO7 mid range sounds a touch dry in comparison to EPH, you lose that liquid buttery vocal presentation instead for a natural semi raw approach. I still feel EPH-100 has the edge on mid range clarity. Highs and treble is something EPH cannot come to close too when GRO7 is concerned with it's slightly hot sparkle.

Overall GRO7 MK2 is slightly more relaxed because you don't have that "fun" signature EPH-100 earned itself. I think the best way I can describe it is EPH-100 being tweaked as a big bouncy kid that likes to let loose giving everything he can, while GRO7 is much more the adult focused IEM staying as balanced as possible and probably more preferred for audiophiles.

IMO :D

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #2,218 of 4,690
Quote:
Wow, I am now super disappointed. I just got these on Friday, and today, about one hour into listening at 70% volume via iPod, the sound just went to crap in a split second. It is now producing heavy distortion and a definite channel imbalance on the left side. I'm returning these to Amazon tomorrow. That's insane that these are defective after 5 days. I really enjoyed the sound beforehand too...

triportsad.gif

I don't know if I just got a bad pair or if I can trust these and buy another pair.

About the channel inbalance, maybe something went through the vents (dust or whatever).
I got an inbalance with my ie7, and the only thing I found to fix them is to  blow air through the vent (or the opposite
redface.gif
).
Maybe you got distortion because you pushed too far the volume, while something was hindering he driver.
It's perhaps not a good idea to take the eph-100 to the beach.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #2,219 of 4,690
Quote:
Strange, mine have condensation build up on the grills but it's only a small, small amount, they've done so for three months now without a problem. Sometimes it's there, other times not. I still can't pin point exactly why they do it though it's never been of major concern for me.
I was comparing both earlier today.
The bass on GRO7 MK2 is quite a bit less, especially mid bass where EPH-100 push their bass presentation. GRO7 don't sound as full, or dynamic with less body though go down a touch deeper in sub-bass rumble when called upon. I often find myself using bass boost a lot more with GRO7, also nudging volume up as compensation. So, they'll be a shock to people coming from the Yamaha. The GRO7 mid range sounds a touch dry in comparison to EPH, you lose that liquid buttery vocal presentation instead for a natural semi raw approach. I still feel EPH-100 has the edge on mid range clarity. Highs and treble is something EPH cannot come to close too when GRO7 is concerned with it's slightly hot sparkle.
Overall GRO7 MK2 is slightly more relaxed because you don't have that "fun" signature EPH-100 earned itself. I think the best way I can describe it is EPH-100 being tweaked as a big bouncy kid that likes to let loose giving everything he can, while GRO7 is much more the adult focused IEM staying as balanced as possible and probably more preferred for audiophiles.
IMO
biggrin.gif

The lush midrange of the EPH-100 is definitely quite a treat. Personally, I think that they are slightly too milky smooth, so much so that sometimes it puts me to sleep (literally) when I am listening to soft rock or jazz. With electronic music, this is not the case..the bass has a kick that will keep your feet tapping to the beat the whole time. I guess when people mention the yams as an exciting phone, it depends a lot on the music being played..at least that is the case for me.

With regards to the MKII, I definitely agree with your thoughts on them. In comparison to the yams, the MKII feels powerful and slightly more aggressive. The wider soundstage seemed more natural to me and had me reaching for the MKIIs over the yams for the duration that I had them. Although my sampling of electronic music on the MKIIs was a bit lacking, I will say that the bass has plentiful impact and extends quite well into the lower frequencies. The deep rumble definitely has a strong presence when called upon as mentioned. Mid-bass is not lacking at all either...I can "feel" the pull of cello strings, which sound spectacular on the them might I add. Personally, the MKII's overall presentation was that much more exciting and enjoyable to me. Sadly the yams destroyed the MKII's in terms of comfort due to a personal fit issue. That is not to say that the yams aren't a great pair of phones as well...they are absolutely fantastic.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,220 of 4,690
Quote:
About the channel inbalance, maybe something went through the vents (dust or whatever).
I got an inbalance with my ie7, and the only thing I found to fix them is to  blow air through the vent (or the opposite
redface.gif
).
Maybe you got distortion because you pushed too far the volume, while something was hindering he driver.
It's perhaps not a good idea to take the eph-100 to the beach.

Hmm. They never left my home, let alone whisked off to the beach lol. Sad. I've had little/no experience with an analytical set, so I'll take the plunge. If the MK2 don't jive with me in any way possible, I'm sure someone here at Head-Fi would take them off my hands at a discount.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back