Yamaha EPH-100
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,191 of 4,690
The IE8's are inferior IMO. The GR-07's are close except for the bass, which is quite less (lots more fun with the EPH-100 IMO) and treble which is better. EPH-100's treble is its weakness. 

Personally I sold the GR-07's next day when I listened to the EPHs.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,192 of 4,690
Alright you officially convinced me, well I have a Sennheiser IE8 on the way I'm curious just how much the Yamaha's smash the sennheiser. What really convinced me about the sennheiser is the soundstage. 

Any comments on soundstage and benefits from amping? The sennheiser IE8 I got for a really good price

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #2,193 of 4,690
The Yamahas have HUGE instrument separation, but soundstage is average. IE8's have HUGE soundstage, but for me, thats all. Amp is not needed on 16 Ohm phones, unless you need more volume and some bass boost. However I'm convinced that an amp like the FiiO E11 can improve the EPHs treble.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,194 of 4,690
I've tried amping them with E11. It can help to a point at medium volumes, the treble comes forward a' touch'. If you try pushing them however they spit the dummy and reject extra power, everything becomes messy real fast from my experience. Then again if I'm amping I'm usually doing it for much louder volume levels than casual listening. My GRO7 and TF10 respond well these do not for me. They're truly stubborn and I don't bother because the change for me is so subtle.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #2,195 of 4,690
Quote:
Alright you officially convinced me, well I have a Sennheiser IE8 on the way I'm curious just how much the Yamaha's smash the sennheiser. What really convinced me about the sennheiser is the soundstage. 

Any comments on soundstage and benefits from amping? The sennheiser IE8 I got for a really good price

If you are a bass addict, most likely the IE8 would "crush" better your head , otherwise the eph-100 bass is technically good. I don't get it,  about the treble weakness of eph-100.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #2,196 of 4,690
Quote:
If you are a bass addict, most likely the IE8 would "crush" better your head , otherwise the eph-100 bass is technically good. I don't get it,  about the treble weakness of eph-100.

The EPH-100's only true weakness is the treble tonality. Everything else (like the lack of forward soundstage projection, and less bass texture/quality compared to better dynamics) is merely an after thought.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #2,197 of 4,690
As far as amping I'm actually finding a pretty signifiant difference between my MacBook Air headphone out vs. my ODAC/O2 combo. Bass slam goes up quite a bit, treble is more present, and there is a greater sense of space/dynamics/clarity. I can't really say how much of this is due to the ODAC itself and how poor of a driver the MBA's headphone out is, but it's enough of a difference that I'm picking up a Dragonfly for a more portable solution.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2,198 of 4,690
Quote:
I don't get it,  about the treble weakness of eph-100.

Treble sounds "dry" and lacks definition compared to a SM3 or UM3X treble. Have in attention that I'm comparing it to top-tier IEMs. That treble of the EPH can easily beat the treble of a lets say, Panasonic HJE900.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,199 of 4,690
As far as amping I'm actually finding a pretty signifiant difference between my MacBook Air headphone out vs. my ODAC/O2 combo. Bass slam goes up quite a bit, treble is more present, and there is a greater sense of space/dynamics/clarity. I can't really say how much of this is due to the ODAC itself and how poor of a driver the MBA's headphone out is, but it's enough of a difference that I'm picking up a Dragonfly for a more portable solution.

It's really strange as I totally believe your opinion. My pair here just won't agree with amping. I hear little change and they easily distort for me. Would be good if others could chime in on this too!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2,200 of 4,690

It's really strange as I totally believe your opinion. My pair here just won't agree with amping. I hear little change and they easily distort for me. Would be good if others could chime in on this too!

I think I mentioned earlier when I had a brand new pair I felt something weird was happening when I tried using the ODAC/O2... like they were being overdriven.  The somewhat bloaty bottom was more bloated, top a bit shrill.  The second pair I have is used and I'm not sure if it's just due to a good amount of burn-in?

In any case now trying them out on my E17.  Basically the only thing I can detect with this is a smoothing of the top end, doesn't seem to bring them to life so-to-speak like the ODAC/O2.

So my Dragonfly will be arriving tomorrow... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #2,202 of 4,690
Quote:
For those of you in Europe (excluding UK) that bought your EPH-100 from AudioAffair, can you tell me how long it took to get them? Mine were shipped 2 weeks ago (according to AudioAffair's info), but they still haven't arrived... 
frown.gif

Well if you read review of audioaffair, almost every positive review said they got a problem, but thanks to a certain "Penny" the problem was solved.
Tell me if that's no fishy
wink.gif
. Good luck with penny.
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.audioaffair.co.uk

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2,203 of 4,690
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2,204 of 4,690
Quote:
Well if you read review of audioaffair, almost every positive review said they got a problem, but thanks to a certain "Penny" the problem was solved.
Tell me if that's no fishy
wink.gif
. Good luck with penny.
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.audioaffair.co.uk

True, but most of those reviews are from people in the UK. And I'm not even sure if I have a problem yet. That's why I'm asking about usual delivery times to other EU countries... 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back