Yamaha EPH-100
May 2, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #1,787 of 4,690
Another excellent session here last night with EPH-100. It's awkward because my TF10 only arrived just over a week ago, but I'm leaning towards the Yamaha everytime mainly because they aren't fatiguing. They have such a wonderful sound that's so smooth and forgiving to my ears. If I'm right in saying the bass as Pieface mentioned a page back has calmed down a little. I'm not getting that in your face the first few hours were providing. Without doubt one of my favourites of all time!  

Vocals on these things are so full of life!

May 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,789 of 4,690
So i went ahead an picked these up since they were available in a retail
store near me for 129.99. So far I am quite impressed. They are quite different from most of my phones and almost sound to good to be true honestly. They have copious deep bass, excellent detail retrieval that sounds armature like and they are fast as the speed of light? Bass doesn't suffocate the mids, in fact they are very forward and astoundingly clear. They are also very comfortable, using the tips one size down from the default. Ill post further impressions once i have more time with them, but so far I like what i hear.

May 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,790 of 4,690
Quote:

With the eartips have ended up medium on one side and large on the other. Pretty happy about that really as it eliminates the replacement ear tips issue for a significant period.

You're not the only one who opted for odd plugs. Small and a medium here, I'm only just coming to terms with the asymmetry of my lugholes.

Comply tips would be nice...

May 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,791 of 4,690
A microdriver IEM isn't just one with a small driver. The microdriver format has the driver inside the ear canal. There aren't that many IEMs that have this.

May 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,792 of 4,690
Quote:
So i went ahead an picked these up since they were available in a retail
store near me for 129.99. So far I am quite impressed. They are quite different from most of my phones and almost sound to good to be true honestly. They have copious deep bass, excellent detail retrieval that sounds armature like and they are fast as the speed of light? Bass doesn't suffocate the mids, in fact they are very forward and astoundingly clear. They are also very comfortable, using the tips one size down from the default. Ill post further impressions once i have more time with them, but so far I like what i hear.

Good to see others joining the trend!

I've owned my pair about a week now, I'm absolutely loving them. I made a final decision today to sell my TF10 to someone who can enjoy them as I won't be needing them any longer thanks to EPH-100. Your description fits them perfectly, wait a little longer, they may just totally win you over as they did me. I found they sound best through Sansa Clip+ using the Sansa firmware, I tried Sony Walkman, and many ipods but the Clip+ gives excellent synergy!

Best purchase I made this year, they sound so smooth!

May 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,794 of 4,690
Quote:
The sound has changed since I first got them.
The bass is not as prominent anymore. Sound is more balanced than in the beginning. I completely love my EPH. My Klipsch X10i no longer used. They have become dust collectors.

You're not alone, my pair did exactly the same about  3 - 4 hours in. Also another member a page or two back experienced this. For people worried about the bass relaxing chill a little, it's nothing to extreme. If anything the bass was to emphasist in the first place so when it calms it's more suited to the overall signature. I still love them just as much if not more.

Must be the drivers loosening up.

Burn in - the truth is out there! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,796 of 4,690
Argh, really? I found the X10 to be so much more musical and precise at the same time.
Quote:
The sound has changed since I first got them.
The bass is not as prominent anymore. Sound is more balanced than in the beginning. I completely love my EPH. My Klipsch X10i no longer used. They have become dust collectors.

May 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,797 of 4,690
Hello!

How do the EPH-100's compare to a thick-sounding IEM like Fischer Audio Eterna? I really like the "big" sound of the Eternas, but now I want something with a bit more clarity. Will EPH-100 have that same big, engaging sound to them?

Also, are they easy enough to drive straight from a Clip+? Or do they benefit from using an amp? They have pretty low impedance...

Thanks

May 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #1,798 of 4,690
Quote:
Hello!

How do the EPH-100's compare to a thick-sounding IEM like Fischer Audio Eterna? I really like the "big" sound of the Eternas, but now I want something with a bit more clarity. Will EPH-100 have that same big, engaging sound to them?

Also, are they easy enough to drive straight from a Clip+? Or do they benefit from using an amp? They have pretty low impedance...

Thanks

I can't compare them to the Eternas sorry.

I can however say they run perfectly fine out of a Clip+, a few posts above I mentioned it as my preferred player for EPH-100. They do not require an amp what so ever, they run perfectly fine without one. I tried with my E11 and of all the IEMs I own these surprised me in the fact the amp did not give them any benefit at all. Bass might of been a little tighter but nothing worth talking about. Also....strangely they did not go any louder using the Fiio E11, not one bit. I was really surprised.

Most of time I amp some of my IEM's but the EPH truly sounds fantastic through my Clip+ alone using the Sansa firmware. 
smile.gif

May 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,799 of 4,690
I haven't heard the Eterna in about a year but I have a pretty good sonic memory, and from what I remember I would say the EPH don't sound as big or powerful as the Eternas because the bass is more controlled, and the soundstage depth is greater in actual depth, as well as in proportion to its width, which makes it seem more well rounded and portioned, especially given its excellent instrument separation; the Eterna, on the other hand, has a kind of big-and-in-your-face sound due to the wide but not so deep soundstage and really big bass. I would say the mids on the EPH are not as forward as those on the Eterna rev.2, but I know it's mids are more forward than the rev.1 which I haven't heard. Either way it definitely has less bass quantity and impact than the Eterna, but it's definitely no slouch; the Eterna is a true basshead IEM, in my opinion, whereas the EPH is more balanced but with a significant emphasis on bass. It also doesn't do EQ that well in the bass, though, so if you really do want monster bass like the Eterna, you aren't going to get it out of the EPH. The EPH also has noticeably more abundant and forward treble than the Eterna; I think it still falls on the warmer side in terms of overall sound, but it will be a noticeable difference from the Eterna. That said, the EPH bass is deep and well-rounded without bleeding into the mids, so if you are looking for something slightly more analytical presentation and don't mind giving up the sheer rawness of the Eterna's bass, the EPH will give you a little bit of that warm and bassy sound, while doing just about everything technically better than the Eterna.

I do remember that my rev.2s were really magical with vocals, and had a way of really wrapping me in the music, and that is something that the EPH doesn't quite aspire to; it's definitely a phone that is more about listening to the music rather than feeling it.

If you are mostly pleased with the Eterna, but just want an overall upgrade from it, I can recommend the Shure SE215 ($100-ish) as a phone with overall better soundstage, great bass, forward mids, and laid back treble with a slightly less warm/thick feel than the Eterna, but noticeably clearer and a bit more of a balanced sound. The form factor is similar, but a bit bulkier, with replaceable cables which is almost unheard of at the $100 price level. If you want a more direct upgrade to the Eterna, and probably more of an upgrade at that, you could look at the Monster Turbine Pro Golds, Miles Davis Tributes or IE8/IE80; I haven't heard any of those so I won't say anything specific, but from what I've read, they might be something to look into and read up on.

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back