Yamaha EPH-100
May 1, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #1,771 of 4,690
Yeah, I concur that these aren't that good with classical.  And just "aight" with jazz.  I fired up Mozart's Requiem and it was okay, not nearly as good as on my FX700's.  But they are fantastic with EDM, Pop, Hip-Hop/R&B, shoe-gaze, most indie/alt I've tried, etc...

Side note: I absolutely hate the wire on these.  I can't get a solid fit straight down and the wire makes it a pain in the a ss to do over the ear.  First in-ears I've had to resort to using ear guides, but they seem to have solved the fit issues atm.

May 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,772 of 4,690
Just got my EPH100 back from joker and am re-exploring them...there is something about the Yams that leaves me wanting a fuller, deeper sound; the bass has the right balance to my ears, but is lacking something, somewhere, and it's just not quite as lush as I would like in the mids. The tonal balance is a little on the bright side for my taste.

These take EQ pretty well, though the bass seems to loosen a bit when it's boosted.

I will say the Yams make my $200 MS400 sound sluggish and congested with really complex music like Shpongle and Infected Mushroom. Everything is really nicely separated and placed well. Soundstage width isn't quite what I want, but depth is really good, the music really feels alive. Still, it's not quite as immersive as I like.

I really want to love these, they don't do anything wrong except the slightly weird treble, which doesn't bother me in and of itself, but I just feel like something is missing...I think I am wanting the mids to be more forward; they aren't super-recessed, and don't really lack in any obvious way, but are just pushed back a smidge. I want to hear guitars and strings and brass and vocals a bit more in my face, with a bit more air and crunch. Obviously this is a personal preference.

I have to say the Yams have a high recommendation from me for the price. There is something a little bit off for my taste, but they really don't do anything seriously wrong and I think they are easily worth $150 in terms of sheer SQ. Plus great build quality, super-high isolation, easy to use...would be an awesome first mid/hi-fi IEM purchase for almost anyone.

May 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,773 of 4,690
I am starting to like these more than I did before; I think the bass has tightened up since I last heard them. It still feels a little weak/doofy at times it should be punching, but when I listen to tracks like Dorset Perception by Shpongle and I hear everything maintaining reasonable clarity, I am really impressed, because my MS400 starts to choke on tracks like this.

May 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,774 of 4,690
Dorset Perception is actually a really great track to test IEMs' separation and ability to keep big bass sounds from covering mids. Obviously FLAC/ALAC/WAV should be sought after to really hear what's up, but here's the song:

I still prefer my MS400s at the end of the day, but the EPH100 beats them on a technical level in just about every aspect except soundstage and vocal clarity; the MS400 just give this almost eery resonance to vocals and wind instruments that is just...

May 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,776 of 4,690
Anyone here have the EPH-100 and the JVC HA-FXC80? The HA-FXC80 is only around $35. If the EPH-100 is only slightly better, then the HA-FXC80 is a much better value.

May 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #1,777 of 4,690
Lol it was supposed to finish that sentence. Its how the MS400 make me feel with impassioned vocals and woodwind solos. ^_^

For reference, it's a shot from the episode where house drops acid 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Why's House there?
I love the show...!

May 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,778 of 4,690

Quote:
Anyone here have the EPH-100 and the JVC HA-FXC80? The HA-FXC80 is only around $35. If the EPH-100 is only slightly better, then the HA-FXC80 is a much better value.

I have not tried the JVC HA-FXC80, but have tried the HA-FXC51.  I found the EPH-100 to have much more body and presence than the HA-FXC51.  The JVCs are not a bad value, but they are not the quality of the Yamahas.  That said, it is always good to remember the law of diminishing returns in headphone pricing.  You pay a lot more for small, incremental improvements.  

FWIW, for the price, I like the Brainwavz M4.  Closer to the Yamaha sound and reasonably priced.

May 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,779 of 4,690
Quote:

I have not tried the JVC HA-FXC80, but have tried the HA-FXC51.  I found the EPH-100 to have much more body and presence than the HA-FXC51.  The JVCs are not a bad value, but they are not the quality of the Yamahas.  That said, it is always good to remember the law of diminishing returns in headphone pricing.  You pay a lot more for small, incremental improvements.  

FWIW, for the price, I like the Brainwavz M4.  Closer to the Yamaha sound and reasonably priced.

The FXC80 is a nice improvement over the FXC51. The question is how much better is the the EPH-100 over the HA-FXC80. Of course I expect the EPH-100 to be better than the FXC80, the question is how great is the difference, and is the EPH-100 worth at least 4x the price?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back