Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,741 of 4,690

Quote:

Audioslave "Cochise" - Big sound. Bass pretty boomy and unrefined but a fun listen. Cornells vocals pretty sweet.
Dido  "White Flag" - Wow! This was really realy nice on the eph. Really nice...I was surprised after the Audioslave. Source quality might have had some impact between the two. A lot more going on in the production than I had expected or remembered.
That free rap album posted early in this thread - Good.Bass impact was nice vocals were nice and clear. I will listen to this one a bit more in the future.

A few bits and pieces off youtube. Seemed forgiving of poor quality source but garbage in is only going to be so good.

I think I could grow to like this IEM very much. Comfort was very nice for an hour listen for first time sticking something in my ear. Soundstage was not huge, mostly in or just outside the head but this seemed to be offset by great instrument seperation/directionality - on the Dido track...just really surprising and nice. Treble was plenty for me. I get fatigued by treble very quickly.

Plenty of bass impact for me, hopefully it tightens up some more in time. That would be nice.

Isolation was very good. I could hear the phone ring next to me but not anything else and I had the volume on pretty low. Out on the street I could see getting myself run down!

It ill be interesting to see how this develops over time as there are several reports of the sound changing over time. For a noob coming from cheap circumaurals this has been a nice surprise so far. The isolation and the midrange/vocal clarity I think are what give this it's character so far.

So again. Not a recommendation, just some comments :)

What about the bass impact? Any changes?

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,743 of 4,690

Quote:
What about the bass impact? Any changes?

Only logged another few of hours on them so no real changes to report. Running some burn in atm...

Bass is solid, you feel it but it's not super bassy. I am going to try some of the other tips on my right ear. It isn't sealing as well as the left. Not sure how much this is affecting the bass. As I haven't had IEM before it has taken me a little while to work that out LOL.

Found another track where the Bass loses control a bit - Fat Boy Slim "Demons"

I'm really liking female vocals through the eph
Dido, Macy Gray, Stevie Nicks have all sounded very nice. Admittedly I seem to prefer huskier female artists looking at that
wink_face.gif

Metal looks like it will be a bit of a mixed bag. I'm thinking that another 'phone should be considered if you are a metalhead.

Electronic and Rap/Hip-Hop are good. There is usually a bit of layering and directionality in the production which the eph seems to do quite well. On the intro to Cypress Hill "Throw your set in the Air" I could clearly hear the music being played on the radio in the background which I have never heard before in over 10 years of owning the album. I'm not sure if this is actually impressive as I'm no audiophile but I was pleasantly surprised!

Haven't really hit much classic rock, bar a couple of Fleetwod Mac tunes or blues yet which are my other two main genres. I'm thinking the eph should do pretty well with these.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,744 of 4,690

Quote:
Thank you again, to all of you.

If I could buy, try and sell headphones, I would  have asked 1/3 less questions and I would have bought the Vsonic GR07 (Gilly87 and Techno Kid's rating), the Yamaha EPH-100 (miow and Techno Kid), the ATH-CKS77 (guess who?), and the Atrio M5 MG7 (Techno Kid and Totally Dubbed) and I would have kept only one of these and would have sold the other three.  I can not do that.  Whatever I buy, I have to keep.

no problem man - and it's all about taste really.
Each of us have our own preference.
All the ones mentioned are good - now all it matters is which will be right for you :)

Quote:
 Totally Dubbed and all of you who have been willing to take time to answer questions.  When I take what everyone says, the image that comes out of it, is not coherent.  I will keep waiting to see if things fit together, and I will keep being thankful to all of you.

No problemo!

Quote:
See Alberto here is a smart dude. He sneaks into headfi and asks questions and does his research to find the best one for the money.. You sneaky Alberto.

His doing it the right and sensible way lol!

Quote:
He's wicked smaht 
biggrin.gif

haha

Quote:
Do you like apples? Well I got her numba, how do you like dem apples?

boooom baby haha

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,745 of 4,690
On mine the bass has dropped quite a bit with burn in. I also tried smaller ear tips and was noticing that I wasn't getting a proper seal and going back to the medium tips definitely helped, but these are not as punchy as they were in the beginning. So the overall sound signature has smoothed out a bit and the treble is definitely more pronounced. Still love the instrument separation! Think it is probably the best among the headphones I own. Because of that I quite like them for metal and rock and even with classical music. Also helped by the very clear mid-range. They are also pretty good with vocals. A little dash of excitement would be nice, but overall they punch way above their asking price.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,746 of 4,690

Quote:
On mine the bass has dropped quite a bit with burn in. I also tried smaller ear tips and was noticing that I wasn't getting a proper seal and going back to the medium tips definitely helped, but these are not as punchy as they were in the beginning. So the overall sound signature has smoothed out a bit and the treble is definitely more pronounced. Still love the instrument separation! Think it is probably the best among the headphones I own. Because of that I quite like them for metal and rock and even with classical music. Also helped by the very clear mid-range. They are also pretty good with vocals. A little dash of excitement would be nice, but overall they punch way above their asking price.

I pretty much agree with this word for word. The bass has tightened up heaps but has lost a decent chunk of the "thump". I think I like it better this way for longer listening sessions and the phone seems to respond pretty well to a bit of EQ when I have wanted a bit more impact.

With the eartips have ended up medium on one side and large on the other. Pretty happy about that really as it eliminates the replacement ear tips issue for a significant period.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #1,747 of 4,690
I'd been peaking in this thread recently, today I put an offer on ebay grabbing a pair brand new in the box. I have been reading this thread from the very start (up to page 22) the impressions are very soothing to my wallet. These will go on with my TF10 and Monster Turbines. I'll be sure to post my thoughts. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,748 of 4,690

Quote:
I'd been peaking in this thread recently, today I put an offer on ebay grabbing a pair brand new in the box. I have been reading this thread from the very start (up to page 22) the impressions are very soothing to my wallet. These will go on with my TF10 and Monster Turbines. I'll be sure to post my thoughts. 

I've bought a few IEM's since getting these and their still one of my favorites.  They have such a great sound thats not in your face but still very detailed with good bass, they actually sound close to how the GR07 does imo.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,749 of 4,690

Quote:

I've bought a few IEM's since getting these and their still one of my favorites.  They have such a great sound thats not in your face but still very detailed with good bass, they actually sound close to how the GR07 does imo.

I have just read every single page in this thread, (took about six hours with breaks)  The 'ol war horse went of the rails a few times mid flight, several thunder storms along the way of this journey. But I now feel I know some of the regular posters here a lot more then I did on page 22 were I left off yesterday. The words 'good bass', 'slightly less treble' and 'excellent mids' popped up numerous times. Some who loved it at first don't anymore, others that were in bliss now think it's just  'ok' ... I've read so much in fact I am totally overwhelmed about EPH-100 right now.

Now I must take a break *head hurts*

(Yammies arrive early this week) 

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,750 of 4,690

Quote:

I have just read every single page in this thread, (took about six hours with breaks)  The 'ol war horse went of the rails a few times mid flight, several thunder storms along the way of this journey. But I now feel I know some of the regular posters here a lot more then I did on page 22 were I left off yesterday. The words 'good bass', 'slightly less treble' and 'excellent mids' popped up numerous times. Some who loved it at first don't anymore, others that were in bliss now think it's just  'ok' ... I've read so much in fact I am totally overwhelmed about EPH-100 right now.

Now I must take a break *head hurts*

(Yammies arrive early this week) 

Any news about your Yamahas?

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,751 of 4,690
These are great.  Like really great.

For the general masses, I can't see why anybody wouldn't like them.  Just a nice, fun sound.  Good timbre, bass, mids.  Clean and very good separation.  Laid-back and smooth, yet the sound feels energetic, punchy.  Comfortable and light, great isolation.

Some things that could improve... Treble seems too lack a bit of sparkle and rolls off too soon maybe.  Some sibilance on some songs.  Notes don't sustain as long-could be an issue if you listen to a lot of acoustic or piano or like reverb.  Sound stage is semi-3D but not too large (if that makes any sense)...wouldn't mind it being a bit grander.  Not a huge fan of the cable.  Fit took a while to get right.

After only a few hours of listening, I can easily see these being my out of the house, on the go "beater" IEMs.  They're not technically the best nor are they superior in any analytical or whatever way but the moment I put them on I couldn't help but smirk and have a "whoa" moment courtesy of Keanu Reeves.  Been awhile since that's happened.

Easily a recommendation over the ASG-1, FX-T90, IE7.  Not quite as technically competent as the FX-700 and overall not a better 'phone, but I would say it holds its own.  Even does a couple things nicer to be honest.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,752 of 4,690
Is this really worth 4X the price of the JVC HA-FXC80?????

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,753 of 4,690

Quote:
These are great.  Like really great.

For the general masses, I can't see why anybody wouldn't like them.  Just a nice, fun sound.  Good timbre, bass, mids.  Clean and very good separation.  Laid-back and smooth, yet the sound feels energetic, punchy.  Comfortable and light, great isolation.

Some things that could improve... Treble seems too lack a bit of sparkle and rolls off too soon maybe.  Some sibilance on some songs.  Notes don't sustain as long-could be an issue if you listen to a lot of acoustic or piano or like reverb.  Sound stage is semi-3D but not too large (if that makes any sense)...wouldn't mind it being a bit grander.  Not a huge fan of the cable.  Fit took a while to get right.

After only a few hours of listening, I can easily see these being my out of the house, on the go "beater" IEMs.  They're not technically the best nor are they superior in any analytical or whatever way but the moment I put them on I couldn't help but smirk and have a "whoa" moment courtesy of Keanu Reeves.  Been awhile since that's happened.

Easily a recommendation over the ASG-1, FX-T90, IE7.  Not quite as technically competent as the FX-700 and overall not a better 'phone, but I would say it holds its own.  Even does a couple things nicer to be honest.

agree with you sir.
and agree to some people who refer the highs to be really somewhat ..."weird", when cymbals crashes...
i dont find the cymbals to be convincing, but most instruments do shine beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back