No, no, it's all FOTM. Do not exaggerate
tongue.gif

Jump off a bridge.

Just kidding :wink:

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,712 of 4,690
Well guys...

...quit bitching and come back to the topic
etysmile.gif

I´m sitting here in my favorite chair with my new headphones (yes, the EPH-100). Children and wife have gone to bed. I now have plenty of time to listen to these bass monsters, at least they are compared with my Klipsch X10i. I keep on switching back and forth between these two headphones. They really have very different sonic characteristics. After reading through everything that can be found on the Yamahas I thought they would be more similar to each other. But NO! Very different.
The EPH-100 have a much fuller sound without any harshness at all.
I think the Yamah EPH-100 can be my cup of tea...until I want something new, better, funnier, etc. Hopefully it will take a year or so, at least.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,713 of 4,690
What is the going price for a pair of the EPH-100s? I heard someone saying they're priced similarly to the SE215, and IIRC, those went for about $99. All I see only for these is around $149. Is there something I don't know? (hoping the answer is that yes, they do cost $150, so I can cast them as outside of my pricerange and not buy them)

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,714 of 4,690
the eph100 is one of the best iems ive encountered wihtout so much risk in sibilance, bloated bass, too much mids.

its just a plain beauty.
everytime i used the re262 and miles davis and now changing to eph...
im taken into a new dimension. a new world.
its just so refreshing.
everything here just have a space for my music to breathe in.
i dont feel like claustrophobic at all.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #1,715 of 4,690

Quote:
the eph100 is one of the best iems ive encountered wihtout so much risk in sibilance, bloated bass, too much mids.

everything here just have a space for my music to breathe in.
i dont feel like claustrophobic at all.

I think it's the biggest difference compared to my Klipsch X10i.
The Yam´s sound is very large and separated with a much better bass and over all sound. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,717 of 4,690
Odd, I preferred my X10s to the EPH100 by miles. The X10 sounds so clean and yet well-blended, while the EPH sounds sterile but mushy to my ears. The EPH had too much warmth in the mids for my liking; they felt kind of muffled rather than open and clear. I agree the separation is great; I never liked the bass from the EPH, though.

Quote:
I think it's the biggest difference compared to my Klipsch X10i.
The Yam´s sound is very large and separated with a much better bass and over all sound. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #1,718 of 4,690
I think $150 is the standard street price. It's still a good deal.

Quote:
What is the going price for a pair of the EPH-100s? I heard someone saying they're priced similarly to the SE215, and IIRC, those went for about $99. All I see only for these is around $149. Is there something I don't know? (hoping the answer is that yes, they do cost $150, so I can cast them as outside of my pricerange and not buy them)

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,719 of 4,690
I don't care if it's the best price to performance ratio this side of the GT-R, the word deal is is sacred as far as I'm concerned, implying money saved over standard pricing. They're a good value, assuming you're all correct. I get a bit touchy around the word deal :rolleyes:

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,720 of 4,690

Quote:
Odd, I preferred my X10s to the EPH100 by miles. The X10 sounds so clean and yet well-blended, while the EPH sounds sterile but mushy to my ears. The EPH had too much warmth in the mids for my liking; they felt kind of muffled rather than open and clear. I agree the separation is great; I never liked the bass from the EPH, though.

I don't think it's odd at all.
EPH-100 are relatively neutral while X10 are more in the V category (which is uncommon for armature drivers).
It seems you don't like signatures with too much mids because there's nothing warm in the EPH-100 mids, it's just that X10 mids are much less present in comparison (boost them with an equalizer and I'm sure you won't like the X10 so much anymore).

As for the EPH-100 bass, it's nothing special, just very typical of dynamic driver bass, present and impactful. Most armature-based IEMs would certainly sound bass-shy in comparison, but for dynamic drivers, the Yamahas are well balanced, not for bass-heads.

I will not comment the "clean" X10 and "mushy" EPH-100, I sense some great exaggeration here.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,722 of 4,690

It's my honest impression of their sound. I actually prefer forward mids; my two favorite phones to date, alongside than the X10, are the Shure SE215 and Earsonics SM3. The X10 didn't appeal to me at first because the mids weren't as forward as my SE215. I don't find the X10 v-shaped at all, really; the mids were noticeably more forward than the treble, to my ears, and the FR graphs seem to agree:

I actually thought the EPH100 had more emphasized treble, which tends to sound slightly "hissy" with cymbals, and exaggerates itself occasionally. Certainly more treble relative to mids than the X10; again the FR graphs seem to agree:

The meat of the midrange lies between 500 and 2000 hz, all of which come in below the EPH100's treble spike between 7000-9000 hz, and noticeably higher relative to a similar, much smaller jump in the same range on the X10.

As for warmth, I think they are somewhat similar in this regard, but the EPH100's bass is less defined and colors the midrange more, whereas the relatively higher midbass quantity of the X10 does overshadow the mids more often than the EPH, but doesn't seem to color them as much. The overall sound of the X10's is more bass-oriented, while the EPH tends to balance the bass, mids, and treble by emphasizing certain smaller frequency chunks in each range, but the FR graph of the X10 is technically flatter and its overall tonality is more neutral, IMO.

I'm wondering if you might just be feeling the differences in speed between the X10's single BA and the EPH's dynamic.

Quote:
I don't think it's odd at all.
EPH-100 are relatively neutral while X10 are more in the V category (which is uncommon for armature drivers).
It seems you don't like signatures with too much mids because there's nothing warm in the EPH-100 mids, it's just that X10 mids are much less present in comparison (boost them with an equalizer and I'm sure you won't like the X10 so much anymore).

As for the EPH-100 bass, it's nothing special, just very typical of dynamic driver bass, present and impactful. Most armature-based IEMs would certainly sound bass-shy in comparison, but for dynamic drivers, the Yamahas are well balanced, not for bass-heads.

I will not comment the "clean" X10 and "mushy" EPH-100, I sense some great exaggeration here.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,724 of 4,690
The X10 produces a some what compressed sound. It's like all the instruments are one instrument playing with all the sounds coming from one source. The EPH:s don't give me that impression. It sounds wider. It sounds like separate instruments. I like that. More of a large-headphone-feeling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back