Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,412 of 4,690
Try to warm the tips, with a hair heater.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,413 of 4,690

Quote:

Please know the jargon that we say before you use it

The EPH-100's are the farthest of warm sounding headphones. They are more neutral with a touch of dark.

But anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying them.

I'm sorry I just ment it has good bass and a non aggressive sound signature, wrong choice of words as they are more neutral in tone.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,414 of 4,690
Thats it, they are neutral. The mid-bass does not warm the vocals (so they're neutral). Thats one of the aspects I liked on them. Vocals, synths, acoustic guitars, violins, etc, are very realistic, with a touch of bass, but not mid-bass humped.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,415 of 4,690
I'm pretty much set on these. I'll make my purchase sometime next week. Thanks for all the feedback.

My CX400-II stopped working after a long, long time and i need something else I can use daily that is not very expensive, practical and that adapts to pretty much everything and the EPH-100 seem to fit the bill perfectly. I originally thought of the GR-07 but the reports of sibilance really make me apprehensive, and they do seem less practical and comfortable than the Yamahas.

Will post my thoughts on them as soon as i get them

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,416 of 4,690

Quote:

Quote:
BotByte said:

Please know the jargon that we say before you use it

The EPH-100's are the farthest of warm sounding headphones. They are more neutral with a touch of dark.

But anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying them.

I'm sorry I just ment it has good bass and a non aggressive sound signature, wrong choice of words as they are more neutral in tone.

Don't be sorry friend. I would some what agree with you.

I find they have little emphasis towards Mids & Lows with neutral Highs. So I would say they are slightly north of neutral towards warm.

Its a subjective matter so if you hear them warm than that's what they are to you ears & how you should describe them.

Glad to hear you enjoying them  
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,418 of 4,690
I would agree the EPH are slightly warm; they are not warm enough for me, personally, as I am used to the MS400 and SE215, but they definitely have slight midbass coloration of the mids; subbass definitely stays out of the way unless it's called for, though. I would agree with archy that they are mostly neutral, just a touch warm.

I wouldn't call the EPH particularly dark, either, though; their incorporation of treble is pretty consistent, the shimmer isn't really understated and the treble isn't excessively smooth on the whole; the treble definitely doesn't interfere with the midrange at ALL, which makes them sound slightly artificial at times IMO. It actually reminds me a bit of the SE215 in that the treble sounds disconnected from the rest of the sound in a way, not very well integrated with some peaks. But to my ears it is not really rolled off or significantly understated, and is definitely more detailed than the SE215. Maybe this weirdness in the treble is just characteristic of micro dynamics? I haven't heard any others, though, so it could easily just be a coincidence.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,419 of 4,690

Quote:
I would agree the EPH are slightly warm

I new I wasn't crazy, because to me they are somewhat warm at times especially through my J3.  I know there not as warm as say some Shures are but they still have that feel to me.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,420 of 4,690

Quote:
Seriously?

I'll see about that.

Yeap,  to make silicone more expandable, but i haven't tried.

Normally it would be heated with hot water, but we don't want wet the drive.

btw Yams people try some Sax Jazz. (John coltrane, Kim Waters...)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,421 of 4,690
That's what I'm asking too.

I've already tried, not avail.

I meant the Radio Shack Sony looking Silicone eartips!!!. Sorry about that. :xf_eek: They are made and feel like the Sony's but I think they may be a little wider as they fit my Pro Copper perfectly and the Yamaha's with just very minimal effort.[=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10788687&filterName=Category][/]

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,422 of 4,690

Let me help alleviate that one big problem.

The rubber sleeve coming off the left earbud has a tactile dot on it. Very clever.

Glad to read you are enjoying them. Consensus is that sound does improve with 100+ hour use so hopefully still you have more to gain from them.

Thank you!!!! :D That is clever! Was that in the instructions or something? lol! Well, I only had a few hours with them and never noticed it. Is so hard to find the tiny R and L :D

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,424 of 4,690

Quote:
I'm pretty much set on these. I'll make my purchase sometime next week. Thanks for all the feedback.

My CX400-II stopped working after a long, long time and i need something else I can use daily that is not very expensive, practical and that adapts to pretty much everything and the EPH-100 seem to fit the bill perfectly. I originally thought of the GR-07 but the reports of sibilance really make me apprehensive, and they do seem less practical and comfortable than the Yamahas.

Will post my thoughts on them as soon as i get them

hey man, long time no see. :D As a bass player, I'm sure you'll like them (even for monitoring). Will be waiting for your impressions ; )

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #1,425 of 4,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat2na /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.. I apply some serious EQ via my iPhone4 and EQU. I have been playing around with a few of the tips and have made a few observations. ..

Can I assume you are speaking of the EQU App ?

I wouldn't bother using iPhone for music without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back