Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,171 of 4,690

Quote:
Works differently for me though. Going down a size and compromising on the seal makes the sound quality and isolation below average for me.

I hope you are not suffering to the extent eke2k6 did.

Another tip that might work is the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet ones. They look ever so comfortable compared to dual flange.

I dropped Monster an email enquiry but they never got back. That was before I figured out going a size down would be acceptable.
I would still be interested in trying these tips if someone could source them.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,172 of 4,690

Quote:
I hope you are not suffering to the extent eke2k6 did.

Another tip that might work is the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet ones. They look ever so comfortable compared to dual flange.

I dropped Monster an email enquiry but they never got back. That was before I figured out going a size down would be acceptable.
I would still be interested in trying these tips if someone could source them.

I did read about these  tips few times on the thread. Not sure anyone managed to get these and comment on them yet? They do look comfortable but I've really gotten used to the stock tips now. I've had these on for the last 5 hrs in a stretch. No discomfort or pain. I think I had virgin ears before I impregnated them with these tips. But if someone recommends the monster tips, I'm definitely willing to try. Do you know where you can get these? I have to say that the MDTs are the nices looking IEMs. Look damn classy. Only if they weren't that expensive.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,173 of 4,690
Just got mine today.

First impressions: The whole presentation seems to be blanketed in a very high treble, which at higher volumes is quite nauseating. Unfortunately, these seem to come to life at higher volumes, and are somewhat dull at lower volumes.

If ever there was a time to believe in burn-in, surely it would be now, because that treble has to go away for me to enjoy these. It's unfortunate, because everything else about them sounds terrific. Some music actually sounds great as-is, but I need a versatile earphone, and can't be limited to 10% of my music collection. Granted, I only listen to a small portion of it in the gym (which is mostly what I purchased these for), however I listen to Dubstep, DNB and Metal in the gym - metal is definitely a NO until the treble is tamed (if it will ever be).

Bass is quite nice, extends fairly low and has lots of weight to it without bleeding into the other frequencies. As others have mentioned, instrument separation is great, and yeah it does sort of have a '3D' feel to it, doesn't it?

Fingers crossed that strange coating of treble disappears with some 'burn-in'.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,175 of 4,690

Quote:

that sounds horrible and hard to imagine! i thought they had really subdued treble relative to the other frequencies?

That's exactly what I'm surprised about too. Treble on mine is getting with every 20 hr block that goes by....80 hrs down the line into mine....huge improvement from 'out of box'. People are definitely in on a surprise when they discover how much this aspect changes along with the overall sound quality.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,176 of 4,690

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm surprised about too. Treble on mine is getting with every 20 hr block that goes by....80 hrs down the line into mine....huge improvement from 'out of box'. People are definitely in on a surprise when they discover how much this aspect changes along with the overall sound quality.

Treble on yours is getting what? You left a word out..... 

I'm very happy to hear these don't have that obnoxious spike in the 2k-4k range that so many other IEMs I've listened to had. That's a definite plus.. the rest of the mids on these are really nice too. Gives a lot of weight to vocals and guitar.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,178 of 4,690

Quote:

that sounds horrible and hard to imagine! i thought they had really subdued treble relative to the other frequencies?

It's only a very high end of the treble spectrum that seems to be there... difficult to describe, but most of the treble is quite nice... it's just this really high thin veil of upper treble that seems to coat everything.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,179 of 4,690

Quote:

LOL yeah, the most important word in your whole post!! i'm so curious ...

I'm venturing a guess........ better? At least, that's what I'm hoping he meant.... lol

After these, I still have two more IEMs I want to try: Shure SE215 & TDK BA200.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,180 of 4,690
Since I'm a treble-head I'm suspect, but yes, I can imagine that happening (although you are the first case here). However, treble (along with the bass) did change considerably to my ears, so give them some 100 (or even 200) hours as I did. Take your Windows Media Player or Fooobar 2000, build a playlist with really heavy stuff (EDM) for faster results and let them play on auto-pilot.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,181 of 4,690

Quote:
Treble on yours is getting what? You left a word out..... 

'Better', not as subdued as it were brand new. On the other hand, my FXT90s have amazing treble with a very rounded bass...but it definitely causes fatigue quite quickly with its agressive delivery. You have to be in the FXT90 mood to handle its agressive sound. EPH-100 is quite relaxing and smoother in comparison. 6 hrs of listening in a stretch as I type my last line for the day...amazing!

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,184 of 4,690
To Miow's credit, a lot of things he's said, have unfolded with time...For eg: EPH-100 sounding better on the default sansa player compared to rockbox is so true on sansa clip 2 atleast. Another point was how the treble quality changes and growing on you from loathe to like and love over a period of time. And now I find the treble of FXT90 a little too sharp and piercing for my liking compared to EPH-100..beware that they haven't burnt in as much as the Yams yet. Instrument Seperation is truly remarkable and 3D is quite decent on these. I am really satisfied with the sound these produce overall!

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,185 of 4,690

Quote:
I noticed that not a lot of people mentioned about having a good fit. Fit will GREATLY affect the sound signature.

In my experience, it will be hard to get an optimal fit right the first time. It's all trial and error till you figure out what works...you can have 2-3 different stock tip sizes work for you..but what I recommend is...go for the one which is 'large enough; to give you a good seal even if you feel discomfort initially....persist for a few days. Your ears get used to it and it become second nature soon. I have tried a size smaller and a deeper insertion and have clearly felt the drop in sound quality. So push for the largest your ears can accomodate with slight discomfort only and then let them get used to it. That I feel is the right size of stock tips for your ears. If you consider other tips than stock, there would be a whole lot of options i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back