Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,156 of 4,690
What's the difference please? I want to know!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Is it a hobby or a addiction?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,157 of 4,690
I could also become obsessed with the EPH100 have I not listened to the IE80 and EX600. Understandable.

Now the Linsanity story is getting better everyday.

5 points with 5 assists in 5 minutes - that's insane.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,158 of 4,690
Heya Chief, how's the CKM50 compared to EPH100? TIA!
p.s. Isolation (being a DDiem) is the first thing that's leading me to the EPH100 :p

Quote:

For me it's a form of addiction, which is a perfectly acceptable coping mechanism - a normal component of human functioning. I've certainly had worse... 

Upgraditus serves as a welcome break from the endless stream of options spewed forth from the gluttonous maw of the information age at large, not to mention the labyrinth of emotional and interpersonal complexities that permeate the feats of balanced social functioning. Focusing on small details helps to keep the gathering grey-noise at bay. Or something.  Tangents? Not me...
wink_face.gif

On a more topical note, I think my initial excitement and ongoing appreciation of the EPH-100 has largely been due to outstanding isolation. 90% of my listening time is done whilst cycling on busy roads, and the Yamaha's block out sound far better than any of my other iems, giving an illusion (or at least an exaggeration) of accomplished technical ability. Home listening is obviously a different story... but nevertheless, the EPH-100s are still impressive at their price point. No more impressive (at least technically speaking) than the GR07 or FXT90, but lets not forget the fact  that the vsonics and JVCs are both damn fine phones.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,159 of 4,690

Quote:

On a more topical note, I think my initial excitement and ongoing appreciation of the EPH-100 has largely been due to outstanding isolation. 90% of my listening time is done whilst cycling on busy roads, and the Yamaha's block out sound far better than any of my other iems, giving an illusion (or at least an exaggeration) of accomplished technical ability. Home listening is obviously a different story... but nevertheless, the EPH-100s are still impressive at their price point.

You said it all!

I have another iem I like very much, but I can only use at night, in the silence of my room...out-door is useless.
frown.gif

With the risk of losing out-door some 400$ iem, EPH for 115$, with this isolation, confort fit and SQ, is a great choice for daily usage, im very happy because of that.......I had the idea of ​​buying a high-end soon, but I'll have to rethink about it.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,160 of 4,690
Nice post chief.
Is that the SE535 SE?
Please do get the Yams for comparisons' sake
biggrin.gif
and TIA!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
this thread is so weird, and i do feel entitled to comment since i read the WHOLE thing. EPH fans are rabid!!! I have to agree with some of the people that have commented on the exaggerated claims on this thread. After 10 pages I was ready to buy some Yams even though I JUST bought some GR07s ... I still might but thats not the point. If you read the whole thread in a sitting or two it becomes very clear that there are about two people (maybe one?) REALLY REALLY trumpeting these as the best IEMS OF ALL TIME!!!

hyperbole is unproductive and uninformative for people who search these threads looking for rational, semi-objective information about earphones. obviously we are all entitled to write what we want on here (within some loose guidelines) and that includes the right to criticize people for offering consistent, relentless and weirdly obsessive hyperbolic feedback about a pair of earphones.

I just had to say something after reading this whole thing. In my time exploring headphones I've found that IN GENERAL many phones above, say, $100 sound more similar than not (especially from ipod/iphone/clip+ type source), and the differences are not usually about quality (though I would expect more from a $400 phone than a $150 phone) rather just personal flavor. Trying to prove someone wrong, or prove that one earphone is better than another just seems like a waste of time.

But I am still curious about this ultra-3D, hyper separated, liquid dripping mids presentation, LOL ... I'm really loving my GR07s, and have some 535s on the way just for comparison sake. Maybe I'll snag some Yams while I'm at it?

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,161 of 4,690
This thread has turned into a reality show for sure..
popcorn.gif
What I see here is also what I witness at my work place, every single day with everyone wanting to be a rockstar, endlessly arguing and emphasising over the same point, which itself is pointless...and no one seems to get that.

But then what I would know...I am a newbie with two only two decent IEMs. Ignorance is such a bliss.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,162 of 4,690

Quote:

You said it all!

I have another iem I like very much, but I can only use at night, in the silence of my room...out-door is useless.
frown.gif

With the risk of losing out-door some 400$ iem, EPH for 115$, with this isolation, confort fit and SQ, is a great choice for daily usage, im very happy because of this.......I had the idea of ​​buying a high-end soon, but I'll have to rethink about it.

It took me a week to get the best possible fit and painless too. Do you use the stock tips or any other?  I am with you on againt buying a high-end anytime soon. I think this is as good as it gets in this price range...and there's a lot of juice left in it's signature to be completely realised before i feel the need to move on to bigger and better. For now, this rocks my genre....classical rock, progressive, metal, blues. I am sure there are better IEMs, but for me these seem to be good enough for now. Listening to Mustang Sally of Eric Clapton....it sounds amazing on Yamz.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,163 of 4,690

Quote:
Well, please allow me to (rather strongly) disagree with Tienbasse. To me, the Yamahas are a nice IEM. Are they worth £80? Quite possibly so, though I would not necessarily call them a bargain. To me, they are not worth £80 if we take SQ alone. To these ears, the UM3X is a markedly more refined IEM, particularly in the mid-range (but also at both ends of the spectrum). Markedly does not translate as doubly good or even 50% better, but it simply means that the difference is clearly noticeable.

Yes we disagree here, no harm. While some supersonic ears may think that mids are slightly better on UM3X or slightly better on EPH-100, the fact is they're both excellent in this area.
You want a marked mid difference?  Please try SE535LTD, they're something else.

Regarding bass, my preference goes naturally to dynamic drivers IEMs, they can produce bass impact that I have yet to ear from BA-based IEMs, and I think a lot of people will relate to this. In this area, UM3X bass are uninspiring, although they're not light.
Regarding treble, I prefer UM3X treble (clearer and better separated) but to make them shine you have to EQ them up. EPH-100 treble are a bit peculiar, they seem very picky with instruments: cymbals for example are very forward while some other high-pitched instruments are a bit recessed. It can create some unnatural feeling when listening music with many instruments (ie orchestra music).

Separation-wise, slight avantage to UM3X in the treble area but for the rest of the spectrum, again I think they're close enough that you'll find both opinions here.

I could continue on and on, but to summarize: do I consider EPH-100 superior to UM3X? Certainly not. Do I consider UM3X to be significantly superior to EPH-100? No.
Actually, if it was not for the peculiar treble, I would prefer EPH-100 for their bass and more lively (=dynamic) sound.

Quote:
And this has nothing to do with different music genres, though obviously people will have diff sound preferences.

This has everything to do with music genres, and even with each music track.
Although we all describe SQ with generic terms as bass, mids, treble for the sake of writing short reviews, many different instruments fit into bass, mids or treble, so it should not be a surprise that 2 IEMs having "good" mids still handle specific instruments differently and will please different crowds.

Your statement directly points to a behavior which shows in your last sentence:

Quote:
Not everyone will appreciate a fine wine or a (very) good beer and they may genuinely prefer something 'not as good'. Does this sound somewhat arrogant? Perhaps,

Perhaps? Please guess.
Your preferences are not more universal than anyone else's.

To use your analogy, I was born in Dijon, in Burgundy (France), so I was raised with Burgundy wines, and came to appreciate them a lot.
Bordeaux wines are as famous, if not more, but for some reason, I just can't appreciate a fine Bordeaux wine as much as a fine Burgundy wine...
Does it make Bordeaux wines "universally not as good" because I decided that a fine wine should be from Burgundy?

Last point: this kind of comment doesn't exactly make you sound constructive (and friendly).
Please put back your review, I thought it was well written and certainly more useful to this thread than the kind of absolute statements quoted above...

I will stop posting in this thread since people are constantly quoting me to get at each other, which wasn't the intent of my review.
I don't want to take side because there's no need to, everything here is a matter of personal taste.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,164 of 4,690
Duneam I was suffering from bone conduction & pressure discomfort like eke2k6 initially with stock fitted tip.

Turned out going one size down to SS made a slightly looser seal which was no longer discomforting & without noticeable quality loss.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,165 of 4,690

Just because you don't own a stable doesn't mean you can't smell a pile of crap. and just because you own a stable doesn't mean you necessarily know crap about horses.

This thread is a mockery of what this forum should be about, with subjective opinions being passed off as fact, debate consisting of "no, YOU'RE wrong!" comments about sound quality being nothing but "best EVAR," and worst off all, the main people getting hurt are people who come here to get advice and learn something.
Quote:
This thread has turned into a reality show for sure..
popcorn.gif
What I see here is also what I witness at my work place, every single day with everyone wanting to be a rockstar, endlessly arguing and emphasising over the same point, which itself is pointless...and no one seems to get that.

But then what I would know...I am a newbie with two only two decent IEMs. Ignorance is such a bliss.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,166 of 4,690

Quote:

It took me a week to get the best possible fit and painless too. Do you use the stock tips or any other?  I am with you on againt buying a high-end anytime soon. I think this is as good as it gets in this price range...and there's a lot of juice left in it's signature to be completely realised before i feel the need to move on to bigger and better. For now, this rocks my genre....classical rock, progressive, metal, blues. I am sure there are better IEMs, but for me these seem to be good enough for now. Listening to Mustang Sally of Eric Clapton....it sounds amazing on Yamz.

Yes, i'm with stock tips, and only now realize the importance of comfort and a total isolation of an iem ... at least for those who use iem's  out-door......that has been very gratifying in fuss of my workplace.

Once i stop feeling the tips, the surround grows.....and can turn up the volume without being affected by any discomfort.

I have a wallet to buy something up to $ 400, but I'm with you, while im satisfied with the EPH's will wait a little longer ...... if i come to buy, will have now lots of attention to insulation and comfort, if i really want to use out-door.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,167 of 4,690

Quote:
Duneam I was suffering from bone conduction & pressure discomfort like eke2k6 initially with stock fitted tip.

Turned out going one size down to SS made a slightly looser seal which was no longer discomforting & without noticeable quality loss.

Works differently for me though. Going down a size and compromising on the seal makes the sound quality and isolation below average for me.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,168 of 4,690

Quote:
Nice post chief.
Is that the SE535 SE?

nope, just the plain ol' 535 ... is the SE supposed to be that much better? Honestly I'm not really expecting much of a difference between the GR07 and the 535, but I'm still curious. I think I might order the Yams just because I like the idea of good isolation and unique presentation but I really like a crisp high end ... but the EPH is described as being very resolving and clear, so perhaps subdued highs won't be so noticeable? Maybe what I really need to try is the ER4P or something because I'm realizing I really dont like congested sound. Even the GR07 has trouble with some music (though, thats probably being too picky ... but I guess thats what this "hobby" is all about!)

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,169 of 4,690

Quote:
Works differently for me though. Going down a size and compromising on the seal makes the sound quality and isolation below average for me.

I hope you are not suffering to the extent eke2k6 did.

Another that might work is to try & source the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet Tips. They look ever so comfortable compared to dual flange.

I dropped Monster an email enquiry but they never got. That was before I figured out going a size down would be acceptable.
I would still be interested in trying these tips if someone could source them.

(image missing)

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,170 of 4,690

Quote:

I hope you are not suffering to the extent eke2k6 did.

Another that might work is to try & source the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet Tips. They look ever so comfortable compared to dual flange.

I dropped Monster an email enquiry but they never got. That was before I figured out going a size down would be acceptable.
I would still be interested in trying these tips if someone could source them.

(image missing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back