Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,142 of 4,690

Quote:
lol. It's tricky but you can fix that ; )

Here's how you do it: Go to AVLS - DISABLED - OK. Go to the volume and put it at 28-29-30, what you prefer. WAIT TILL THE VOLUME BAR DISAPPEARS (or this won't gonna work). Now go to AVLS - ENABLE - OK. There you got your volume UNcapped. lol ; )

AVLS is just the automatic volume limiter within the player settings and has nothing to do with the volume cap. It's just an option to set the maximum volume limit, so if you don't want to listen past 25, you'd set it at 25. If the A845 really does have a volume cap (and according to some reviews I've read, the volume is quite loud enough) - then you'd have to somehow find a way to disable it in the service menu (like I did with the NWHD5) and I don't believe anyone found a way to access the service menu in the X series (of which some were volume capped), so it might not be possible for the A845 either. By the way, what volume do you listen to with the EP100 and A845 combo?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,143 of 4,690
I have no knowledge, even not experience in high-end iem's.

But for 100€, couldn't be more than satisfied:

- I like this signature (not stressful,  is clear, has detail, has bass, dont have sibilance)

- They cover most of genres I hear.

- They are super small and super comfortable, yet not believe how confortable they are. Even not move 1mm from ears.

- They are simply beautiful, on top of my classic silver Ipod :).

- Great isolation.

Now, i've been up for fear, of buying a high-end (350€+) and not give them much use out-door, i think first I have start liking less this EPH's.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,144 of 4,690

Quote:
Well, please allow me to (rather strongly) disagree with Tienbasse. To me, the Yamahas are a nice IEM. Are they worth £80? Quite possibly so, though I would not necessarily call them a bargain. To me, they are not worth £80 if we take SQ alone. To these ears, the UM3X is a markedly more refined IEM, particularly in the mid-range (but also at both ends of the spectrum). Markedly does not translate as doubly good or even 50% better, but it simply means that the difference is clearly noticeable. And this has nothing to do with different music genres, though obviously people will have diff sound preferences. Not everyone will appreciate a fine wine or a (very) good beer and they may genuinely prefer something 'not as good'. Does this sound somewhat arrogant? Perhaps,

I have no experience with the UM3x (apart from a demo) nor with the yamas - but how much do the UM3x's cost?

Last time I checked it was 3x the price of the yamas

£260 for them

And here you're saying the UM3x's are worth their price tag, yet the yamas aren't worth £80...? Right...

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,146 of 4,690

A lot of this argument is pointless. The EPH is obviously a good great iem. It may not be the end-all for many, but it is for some. I liked it a lot while I had it, but now that I have the GR07 back I realize that the GR07's signature (and instrument realism) is more my type of sound. As far as instrument separation goes, I'd call the GR07 and EPH equal. It's just that they present things differently. As far as the whole UM3X/instrument separation issue goes, my question is "so what?" There are two different users here (tienbasse and miow) who say that the instrument separation is on par. There is also music, who doesn't think it comes close. I looked at music's profile and, if his inventory is to be believed, he no longer has he UM3X on hand. Maybe music's impressions have been sullied by the hype on this thread, and the unreliability of the human auditory memory, but if I was a reader, I would be more inclined to listen to those who have A/B'ed them and made their conclusions based on their findings. One thing I am totally mystified by is music's decision to erase the alternate impressions thread. I went there to add my thoughts, and all I encountered were periods. I don't know whether you were put off by the hype on this thread, but come on. I know miow lays it on thick, but I feel it's deserved (kinda). If a user's enthusiasm was inversely proportional to an IEM's sonic qualities, then why did joker give the MP 8320 a 7.5? After all, the hype on that thread must have reached Jupiter himself.

Miow is simply expressing himself as he knows how, and so was Dsnuts when he introduced his iem finds. I can see where you are coming from, but there are better ways to do things. Look at Nulliverse's answer to miow on post #1126. That's a prime example of how to agree to disagree.

Live and let live bro

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,148 of 4,690
You just went off in another tangent and avoided the question all together.

I understand that one might be better or more noticeable, especially to your ears, but to say the UM3x is "worth it" and the yamas isn't is...not very fair - put it that way.

Why not compare the yamas to sub £100 earphones.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,150 of 4,690
You just went off in another tangent and avoided the question all together.

I understand that one might be better or more noticeable, especially to your ears, but to say the UM3x is "worth it" and the yamas isn't is...not very fair - put it that way.

Why not compare the yamas to sub £100 earphones.

Why do you put "worth it" in quotes, implying music_4321 said so, when he didn't?...

But even if he had. What would be so "unfair" about it? The importance of different tastes and expectations is often remembered, why does it not apply to music_4321 statements?

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,152 of 4,690

Quote:
Well, please allow me to (rather strongly) disagree with Tienbasse. To me, the Yamahas are a nice IEM. Are they worth £80? Quite possibly so, though I would not necessarily call them a bargain. To me, they are not worth £80 if we take SQ alone. To these ears, the UM3X is a markedly more refined IEM, particularly in the mid-range (but also at both ends of the spectrum). Markedly does not translate as doubly good or even 50% better, but it simply means that the difference is clearly noticeable. And this has nothing to do with different music genres, though obviously people will have diff sound preferences. Not everyone will appreciate a fine wine or a (very) good beer and they may genuinely prefer something 'not as good'. Does this sound somewhat arrogant? Perhaps,

I will leave it to Tienbasse to agree/disagree with you on his opinion on separation - which is what was being addressed by me & not any other part of the sound signature - refinements etc which were explained to me by Tienbasse (caveats) before purchasing.

The reason i bought up your opinion on separation was because there were at least 2 other opinions on this thread contradicting your Black & White Clear Cut one. I didn't want anyone to be possibly misinformed by your opinion when there were other contradicting ones.

Quote:
obviously people will have diff sound preferences. Not everyone will appreciate a fine wine or a (very) good beer and they may genuinely prefer something 'not as good'. Does this sound somewhat arrogant? Perhaps,

As you well rightly know 'people will have diff sound preferences' but you clearly decide to be either ignorant or possibly arrogant & imply your opinion overrides that of others because your ability to appreciate sound is superior.

As things stand I have more valid reasons to respect Tienbasse's opinion over yours.

Before purchasing the EPH-100's I got to try out IE8's, buy IE7's (£130) & TF10's (£156).

The EPH-100 has given me the most pleasure to date. For me IE7's are only possibly better in sound staging when it comes to classical & TF10 i totally dislike as described earlier in A Word (nauseating) that you did not approve of. I can see how some refer to it as sounding refined - just signature does not suit my ears. With 100+ hours on the EPH100 i believe the EPH-100 has become overall more refined sounding too. Both of the other two phones are presently collecting dust. Would i have been better off saving £286 & just buying the single EPH-100 for £80 Bargain ? - Yep it's a bargain in that respect.

But hey where is the fun in that.

*edit* forgot to add

Quote:
1) I compared EPH-100 with whatever I had in stock at that time (UM3X, FX700, SE420, IE8 and then later SE535SE). And other people added more comparisons. What is wrong with doing proper A/B-ing ? Do comparisons "by memory" with IEMs you had 2 or 3 years ago seem a more valid approach?

For the record, top-tier doesn't mean better sound than all lower tier IEMs. A "top-tier IEM" with a sound signature that you don't like is certainly not a top-tier for you. And while I could imagine that 20$ IEM will have difficulties matching 400$ IEMs performance, the manufacturing cost of most universal IEMs is not so high that 120$ IEMs could not compete at all with the 400$ ones...
Too many people here judge IEMs solely by price, and try to convince themselves that every additional spent $ means added performance. In the end, this is a personal call to think that you spent too much or you made a bargain.

Something i have felt & agree with.

Music friend, when did you last hear your UM3X ?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,153 of 4,690
popcorn.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,154 of 4,690
this thread is so weird, and i do feel entitled to comment since i read the WHOLE thing. EPH fans are rabid!!! I have to agree with some of the people that have commented on the exaggerated claims on this thread. After 10 pages I was ready to buy some Yams even though I JUST bought some GR07s ... I still might but thats not the point. If you read the whole thread in a sitting or two it becomes very clear that there are about two people (maybe one?) REALLY REALLY trumpeting these as the best IEMS OF ALL TIME!!!

hyperbole is unproductive and uninformative for people who search these threads looking for rational, semi-objective information about earphones. obviously we are all entitled to write what we want on here (within some loose guidelines) and that includes the right to criticize people for offering consistent, relentless and weirdly obsessive hyperbolic feedback about a pair of earphones.

I just had to say something after reading this whole thing. In my time exploring headphones I've found that IN GENERAL many phones above, say, $100 sound more similar than not (especially from ipod/iphone/clip+ type source), and the differences are not usually about quality (though I would expect more from a $400 phone than a $150 phone) rather just personal flavor. Trying to prove someone wrong, or prove that one earphone is better than another just seems like a waste of time.

But I am still curious about this ultra-3D, hyper separated, liquid dripping mids presentation, LOL ... I'm really loving my GR07s, and have some 535s on the way just for comparison sake. Maybe I'll snag some Yams while I'm at it?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,155 of 4,690

Quote:
Excellent post music, there is so much truth to what you have said. Unfortunately it will take most members years and lots of money to learn this. It taken me 5 and a couple of grand to learn, and I still continue to buy headphones. Is it a hobby or a addiction?

For me it's a form of addiction, which is a perfectly acceptable coping mechanism - a normal component of human functioning. I've certainly had worse... 

Upgraditus serves as a welcome break from the endless stream of options spewed forth from the gluttonous maw of the information age at large, not to mention the labyrinth of emotional and interpersonal complexities that permeate the feats of balanced social functioning. Focusing on small details helps to keep the gathering grey-noise at bay. Or something.  Tangents? Not me...
wink_face.gif

On a more topical note, I think my initial excitement and ongoing appreciation of the EPH-100 has largely been due to outstanding isolation. 90% of my listening time is done whilst cycling on busy roads, and the Yamaha's block out sound far better than any of my other iems, giving an illusion (or at least an exaggeration) of accomplished technical ability. Home listening is obviously a different story... but nevertheless, the EPH-100s are still impressive at their price point. No more impressive (at least technically speaking) than the GR07 or FXT90, but lets not forget the fact  that the vsonics and JVCs are both damn fine phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back