Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,006 of 4,690
How does the EPH 100 compare to the Panasonic RP-HJE900? I really would love to have detachable cables, but Separation, incredible depth, isolation and clarity/detail means A LOT to me.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,008 of 4,690

Quote:
How does the EPH 100 compare to the Panasonic RP-HJE900? I really would love to have detachable cables, but Separation, incredible depth, isolation and clarity/detail means A LOT to me.

Here is Tienbasse's initial take on it from page 1:

Quote:
Something sounded different this time, something familiar, especially with guitar, percussion and male voices. Then I realized: it sounded like Panasonic HJE-900, with very forward mids and bass, great instrument separation to listen to guitar, male voices and low-pitch percussions, but with more clarity than the Panas and much more tamed treble.

I think there are few mentions of the Panny so search the thread. Separation is probably the best out of any DD phone. It has been commented by owners of both that its separation ability is better than UM3X but slightly less than SE535 SE Red which is a huge feat. 

Totally Dubbed .. Oops     
gs1000.gif

pack21

From Tienbasse page 1 in case you missed it.

Quote:
Duel against JVC HA-FX700 : bass has a similar tightness but is more reasonable on the Yamahas (not for bassheads), mids are more forward on the Yamahas, treble are more forward on the JVCs, so JVCs remain better for female voices and high-pitch percussions, but Yamahas win for metal and progressive rock. Instrument separation is a better on Yamahas, soundstage is significantly better for Yamahas (the band is sitting around you), clarity is slightly better on Yamahas.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,010 of 4,690
I'm not sure the EPH is for you. It does represent depth very distinctly and noticeably, but I would not say it's soundstage has "incredible depth." It's an interesting effect, and couples brilliantly with music that has pronounced depth values in production, but if you are looking for a cavernously out-of-head feel then you're better off with IE8 or something of the like. Everything else is there with the EPH: isolation is sufficient to block out train noise, separation is close or equal to W3 depending on the music, and clarity is as good as I've heard. I was really turned off by the aesthetics and hesitated to even purchase it, but three days in I'm thinking it's a keeper. The sound isn't as forward as I'd like, but that aside, it has impressed me, both personally and on a technical level, more than the W3 thus far. It falls short of the W3 in driver speed (obviously, being a dynamic), which means its not as purely clean sounding and doesn't FEEL as "clear" as the W3, but detail retrieval is pretty close, IMO; maybe better, depending on the music/frequencies of sound being discussed.

Quote:

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,012 of 4,690

Quote:
I would be satisfied with the EPH as my main iem if I didn't have problems with the seal. I'm glad to see that so many others are able to enjoy it. I'm getting back my GR07's for the time being.

Do you want to sell yours?

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,013 of 4,690
Don't know about the EPH-100 but about the HJE900:

-I've never removed the cables once. And good luck buying a second pair.
-Separation is great but stunted by an intimate presentation that tends toward narrowness, at least with stock tips.
-depth is also not apparent though very good because of said intimate presentation.
-isolation is eh, at least with stock tips
-clarity and detail are good but not among the best I'd say. They are pretty quick though.
-the treble and energy are strong with this one
-if they wrote the word "indestructible" on them, I'd believe it.

Quote:

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,014 of 4,690

Quote:
Shango by Juno Reactor is a great trance/Edm album for the EPH100s. They don't require the lush and liquid mids that Infected does, and the bass is just right here. Soundstaging really shines, great tonality on the hand drums. Hule Lam is the best track for these I have heard yet.

Indeed, it's one of the best albums I've heard for the EPHs.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,015 of 4,690

Quote:
Here is Tienbasse's initial take on it from page 1:

I think there are few mentions of the Panny so search the thread. Separation is probably the best out of any DD phone. It has been commented by owners of both that its separation ability is better than UM3X but slightly less than SE535 SE Red which is a huge feat. 

Totally Dubbed .. Oops     
gs1000.gif

pack21

From Tienbasse page 1 in case you missed it.

Guess I'll have to risk not having detachable cables. It's okay though.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,017 of 4,690

Quote:
I'm not sure the EPH is for you. It does represent depth very distinctly and noticeably, but I would not say it's soundstage has "incredible depth." It's an interesting effect, and couples brilliantly with music that has pronounced depth values in production, but if you are looking for a cavernously out-of-head feel then you're better off with IE8 or something of the like. Everything else is there with the EPH: isolation is sufficient to block out train noise, separation is close or equal to W3 depending on the music, and clarity is as good as I've heard. I was really turned off by the aesthetics and hesitated to even purchase it, but three days in I'm thinking it's a keeper. The sound isn't as forward as I'd like, but that aside, it has impressed me, both personally and on a technical level, more than the W3 thus far. It falls short of the W3 in driver speed (obviously, being a dynamic), which means its not as purely clean sounding and doesn't FEEL as "clear" as the W3, but detail retrieval is pretty close, IMO; maybe better, depending on the music/frequencies of sound being discussed.

It's pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'll take it!
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Don't know about the EPH-100 but about the HJE900:

-I've never removed the cables once. And good luck buying a second pair.
-Separation is great but stunted by an intimate presentation that tends toward narrowness, at least with stock tips.
-depth is also not apparent though very good because of said intimate presentation.
-isolation is eh, at least with stock tips
-clarity and detail are good but not among the best I'd say. They are pretty quick though.
-the treble and energy are strong with this one
-if they wrote the word "indestructible" on them, I'd believe it.

I'd get it, but there isn't many HJE900's in stock.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,019 of 4,690

Quote:

Quote:
Niyologist said:

Well written Gilly. Makes good sense.

But it has to be asked what single  IEM will give him everything he has asked for ?

None I would say. There is no such IEM. Its about best compromise based on preference to sound signature & genre of music listened to.

For instance if he goes for IE8 clarity will be less (mid bass hump), isolation lot worse & separation not as good.

If we go just by the fact he is possibly coming from Panasonic RP-HJE900 than EPH100 might be  a good buy as not only does it shares some similarities but  betters them.

From what has been requested i think the EPH100 could be okay unless the preferred genre of music leans heavily towards classical or jazz.

Gilly i have a feeling you are going to continue to like the EPH100's increasingly more as you get past 100+ hours use.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,020 of 4,690

Quote:
Well written Gilly. Makes good sense.

But it has to be asked what single  IEM will give him everything he has asked for ?

None I would say. There is no such IEM. Its about best compromise based on preference to sound signature & genre of music listened to.

For instance if he goes for IE8 clarity will be less (mid bass hump), isolation lot worse & separation not as good.

If we go just by the fact he is possibly coming from Panasonic RP-HJE900 than EPH100 might be  a good buy as not only does it shares some similarities but  betters them.

From what has been requested i think the EPH100 could be okay unless the preferred genre of music leans heavily towards classical or jazz.

Gilly i have a feeling you are going to continue to like the EPH100's increasingly more as you get past 100+ hours use.

And that's where the JVC HP FX-1000 will come in. I hope that sound signature is involved in their new model, with the high isolation, but the EPH-100 is pretty close, but the depth is kinda lacking as some describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back