Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #991 of 4,690

Quote:
However they don't seem to handle the "big" sounds, like a bass drop or wide-open guitar solos very well; it may have to do with the soundstage being more noticeably deep than it is wide; it feels immersive but not enveloping.

Can you please point to 2 tracks I can try for bass drop/wide-open guitaring demo. I probably have more hours on mine so lets see.

You right about the its ability to pick up fine detail.

Also immersive <> enveloping ?

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #992 of 4,690

Quote:
I'm waiting for you to be flamed by someone who says that burn-in doesn't exist....
popcorn.gif

I'm a true believer in mental and physical burn-in

I'm a believer too.

But also see many iem threads well known, that main warning they do (believers and unbelievers) is;  "- Let them burn!"
tongue.gif

Who kills GR07 sibilance?

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #993 of 4,690

Quote:
I'm a believer too.

But also see many iem threads well known, that main warning they do (believers and unbelievers) is;  "- Let them burn!"
tongue.gif

Oh 'Burn in' exists. My ears aint BS me with the two phones I got recently with very vivid memory of how they sounded 'out of box' vs now. It just can't all be psychological.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #994 of 4,690
Not the best choice of wording but I get his point. My Panasonics weren't bad with width and had incredible depth, but because of their intimate presentation, they felt like being in a narrow hallway where the sound would only travel back but not out even though they could throw cues out wide. It was something I couldn't get past and why I enjoy my GR07's much more even without the depth of the Panny's (I do occasionally miss the bass though).

Something I noticed while ABing them. You can't just go from a bass heavy deep sound straight to a shallower and wide sound because of the way the lower frequency affects your ears. There needs to be significant downtime which makes it very difficult to properly AB. I put in the GR07 directly after the HJE900 and they sound almost like a radio. I give it time for my ears to adjust to normal hearing and then put on the GR07s and then the smile comes back onto my face. Interestingly going from the GR07 to the HJE900's is no problem, I put them on an go ok, more bass, sharper mids to highs, etc etc. I put on the GR07's after the HJE900 and the only thing I can think of is "the GR07's do not normally sound like this."

Just an observation tacked onto a response for those that feel the EPH-100 make everything else sound boring. I absolutely love my GR07 for EDM especially vocal centered genres. I'm sure the EPH-100 is lovely with it too as you all say.

Quote:

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #995 of 4,690

Can you please point to 2 tracks I can try for bass drop/wide-open guitaring demo. I probably have more hours on mine so lets see.

You right about the its ability to pick up fine detail.

Heavyweight and Sa'eed by Infected Mushroom are where I notice the Yam's shortcomings the most. For my taste they lack the subbass slam and really "surrounding" sound.

What I mean re: immersive vs. enveloping is that with my SE215 I feel truly surrounded by the music with no gaps in the sound in any of the space around me, and the sound seems to be coming from all around very close by, whereas the sound of the Yams is a bit further away, just slightly, and seems to come from distinct places in all directions. Its very interesting but its not my preference.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #996 of 4,690

Quote:
Did I say that? No.

Seemed like it :wink:
"if they have this thread, is everyone wrong there, and your right?"
That's the impression I got...anyway

Quote:
No you're not.

Eh? Yes I am, old chap.
Even got told off for being too rude about it.

And you are...who are you to tell me I'm not lol?

My soul?
No, not that either.

Quote:
Add ''Conditioning" as a burn-in to the list as well.The kinda feeling that makes you go...'Well, I've been an ass to lighten my wallet to satisfy my insatiable need for 'the best' out there. Now while I've got these, let me make me the most of 'em and live with the choice I made'. And gradually with time, you dont regret anymore. I am sure we've all experienced that.

true true :)

Quote:
I'm a believer too.

tongue.gif

Who kills GR07 sibilance?

hahaha

I just know this:
If it wasn't for physical burn-in my ex500's would still be treblehead earphones with no bass extension, the TFTA's would have no mids or highs, and would just be bass frequencies in my head, and so on and so forth....

Quote:
Oh 'Burn in' exists. My ears aint BS me with the two phones I got recently with very vivid memory of how they sounded 'out of box' vs now. It just can't all be psychological.

indeed :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #998 of 4,690

Shipped from audioaffair.co.uk  for $115

Or  J&R in US $125 shipped.

Vwinter thinking of coming on board ?

Gilly87 going to check those tracks out. Nice clarification on the immersive V enveloping

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,001 of 4,690

Quote:

I'm guessing that's converted from GBP?

"co.uk"?

Yep converted by their website checkout as they do international shipping & accept paypal.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,002 of 4,690

Quote:
Heavyweight and Sa'eed by Infected Mushroom are where I notice the Yam's shortcomings the most. For my taste they lack the subbass slam and really "surrounding" sound.
What I mean re: immersive vs. enveloping is that with my SE215 I feel truly surrounded by the music with no gaps in the sound in any of the space around me, and the sound seems to be coming from all around very close by, whereas the sound of the Yams is a bit further away, just slightly, and seems to come from distinct places in all directions. Its very interesting but its not my preference.

Very nicely written. As you conclude it's all about preference, concerning spatial imaging.

And if you like the close-and-personal feeling of the SE215, you should hear the SE535LTD, the vocals are just close that singers would have to sit right next to you to sound like this.
If I hadn't bought the SE535LTD, I would certainly have tried the SE215 (microdriver, excellent build quality given the low price).

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #1,003 of 4,690

Quote:
lol. I was just messing around.
tongue.gif

Oh yes...

Quote:
Yep converted by their website checkout as they do international shipping & accept paypal.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

You REALLY shouldn't have showed me this site...might just order to try :/

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,004 of 4,690

Quote:
Very nicely written. As you conclude it's all about preference, concerning spatial imaging.

And if you like the close-and-personal feeling of the SE215, you should hear the SE535LTD, the vocals are just close that singers would have to sit right next to you to sound like this.
If I hadn't bought the SE535LTD, I would certainly have tried the SE215 (microdriver, excellent build quality given the low price).

Can we say EPH is more like FX-700 (with less treble) and SE215\535 more SM3? Without wanting to compare, of course. Only to understand the presentation.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,005 of 4,690
I'd love to audition them. I'm too worried about the design in terms of fit and the possible downgrade in soundstage width to actually buy them. They definitely sound like they separate the way I like. If they ever drop below $100 I'll most likely take a chance.

Quote:

Shipped from audioaffair.co.uk  for $115

Or  J&R in US $125 shipped.

Vwinter thinking of coming on board ?

Gilly87 going to check those tracks out. Nice clarification on the immersive V enveloping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back