Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #586 of 4,690

Quote:
miow - saw your post at the GR07 thread that you wish the cable for the eph100 like the one for the GR07. So you don't think the cable for the eph100 is good?

Looks like we agree on both the treble and the cable.
wink_face.gif

BTW, I listened to some of  Mariza's tracks on Amazon and I like the music very much although I don't understand at all her singing in Portuguese.

The cable looks (and sounds) cheap. A few pages back I talk about an experiment I did with the extension cable and the decrease in sound quality in comparison with my other extension cable bought from an electronic store. Would love to listen to the YAMAHA's with a better cable. The new GR-07's cable would be just fine.

Mariza is one of the greatest voices in the world. ; ) I use that album often to find sibilance on IEMs. Fortunately the EPH-100 has 0 sibilance.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #587 of 4,690

Quote:
Would you file the EPH-100 in the "Warm + Sweet" ClieOS' category ?
By the way, I would like to thank all positive reviewers; you sold me on it !
beerchug.gif

I hesitated between 3 IEMS in the 100-120 € price range (based on reading a lot of reviews) : GR07 ("accurate but boring"), atrio MG7 ("deep bass++" but poor design & shell quality), and EPH-100 (excellent all-rounder, best QPR in its class, but average performance on classical music).

I finally ordered it 4 days ago on audioaffair, but it is on back order (reading other comments)...

I'll use it on the go; my portable rig :
  1. Current : iPhone 4S ->   FiiO L9 -> digiZoid ZO2.1 ->  Ultrasone DJ1 | Sennheiser PX 100 | MEElectronics M6P
  2.   Future : iPhone 4S -> (FiiO L9 -> digiZoid ZO2.1 ->) Yamaha EPH-100

Haven't heard the Clieos but the fact that treble is neutral with emphasis on the mid & lows i would say the sound is sweet & slightly warm.
Seems you have done your research well & i agree with your reasoning to go for EPH100. Should be happy based on that.

Also i found the EPH100 to perform extremely well with Iphone 4 when used in conjunction with EQU app to make minor custom equalization changes. I felt no need for amping after the installation of the App.

Quote:
Wowie, that's more bass than I envisioned...looks like basshead levels...I guess I'm kind of a basshead but...meh...classical...
That Golden Ears FR curve looks like just about exactly what I want...maybe a touch more miss and bass but close to perfect...

Last night I put on Memoirs Of Geisha & was most impressed by the opening track - Sayuri's Theme. The sub bass levels rendered in this classical track shocked me somewhat as i was not expecting anything of those levels from such a genre. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #588 of 4,690
Surely the 2 year warranty should offer some reassurance to those who are a little worried of the not so brilliant cable, right?

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #589 of 4,690

Lets not all get fixated or hung over the cable. It's not that bad -just not brilliant.
If it sucked that much we wouldn't be all raving that much about its bass & mids or separation.
Just it could be better & what can't in that respect ?

As good man James444 said:

Quote:

Hmmm, I think the Yamaha's build quality is actually pretty good. Cords are a bit springy, but I've seen worse on much more expensive phones. There are proper strain reliefs and a chin slider that actually works, unlike my IE8's. So here I am, defending the EPH-100, lol.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #590 of 4,690
I suppose...more worried about me breaking it than it failing though :p God I loved the cables on my SE215...those suckers could hold a couch to the back of my truck :p

Quote:
Surely the 2 year warranty should offer some reassurance to those who are a little worried of the apparently poor cable, right?

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #591 of 4,690

Quote:

Lets not all get FIXATED or hung over the cable. It's not that bad -just not brilliant.
If it sucked that much we wouldn't be all raving that much about its bass & mids or separation.

Exactly. Not brilliant is the word. Not that bad, just could be a bit better, but its not an issue at all as they sound way above their price range (100 EUROS).

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #592 of 4,690
Quote:
By this grafic, seems be WS.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6e/6e08e2a5_9e5ceca04ced98686947baeddec59474.png

Thanks, that's what I thought...
wink_face.gif

In this FR chart, we can notice a small lack of uniformity between the left and right channel. Did someone ever noticed it during listening ?

Quote:
Seems you have done your research well & i agree with your reasoning to go for EPH100. Should be happy based on that.

Also i found the EPH100 to perform extremely well with Iphone 4 when used in conjunction with EQU app to make minor custom equalization changes. I felt no need for amping after the installation of the App.

Cool ! Thanks for your answer. I should try EQU then, even if I am not a big fan of equalization because I am always tempted by the V signature. When those episodes happen, I self-flagellate by plugging in my HD 650, getting back to a sinless life...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #593 of 4,690
I even not bother, give me a SM3\W4 with a EPH cord for 100€ that i will cry.....for this Price i just want a Great Sound.

btw, i always carry two iem's for work, one more treble/analitic and other warmth/bass, The real thing is after 30 minutes with the treble iem i must Change to warmth iem all rest work Day.....pretty sure i gone like EPH treble.

:)

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #596 of 4,690

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome the vacuum seal of the Yamaha? It's affecting the sound in my left ear. I've tried using smaller tips, but the issue persists.

I don't know if this will work with the EPH100s, but whenever I have this problem, if I lift my pinna (upper part of the ear) up, and push the IEM down to break the seal and allow air back in, it also will realign the driver as well.  Then release the IEM, then release your pinna and a seal will be recreated (without the vacuum). 

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #597 of 4,690
First you must try to understand Why just afect you left ear.

The hole in Housing is Free and Working? See if tip make vacuum in your finger or not.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #598 of 4,690
AUDIO AFFAIR....BACK ON STOCK!!!

Mine was Shipped today, Cool.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back