Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #3,646 of 4,690
-Are these good for rap/hip-hop?
-How do they compare to the GR07BE and the wooduo 2?
-Do they need or sound better with an amp? (e07k)

Basically I have my DT770 Pro 32 for home and critical listening, and I need a fun bassy IEM for commuting.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,647 of 4,690
are these fake? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-EPH100-Headset-Earphones-Professional-EPH-100-monitor-Headphones-/261372512931?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cdb040aa3&_uhb=1

i live in canada and cant find a decent price anywhere

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,648 of 4,690
Hi Ghisy--

These should work: http://www.meelec.com/category_s/380.htm.

I found they ran a little small-the large tips fit the esp100's nozzle, but were too small fo my ears. I would suggest getting a variety of tips, and returning the ones that don't fit, which is what I did.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,649 of 4,690
I'm not completely sure if this will work for all eph 100 with volume issue, but seems like pushing in the driver? seems to fix the low volume problem

I too was disappointed when the left side had problems, mainly with volume being so low that I had to tinker with balance option in my mp3 player. This whole time I thought it was a condensation problem, because usually after wearing for more than 30minutes - 2 hours, the left side's volume would get very low. Since then I always tried to 'ventilate' the driver after a certain period of time, but the problem always came back and bothered me. This problem first started after having owned these earphones for about a year.

Today I was using the earphones for extended period time while studying, and after about 3 hours, the symptoms started to happen again. I took out the ear tip, and granted there were some moisture on the inner side of the ear tips, so I wiped them, and blew some air into the driver, but volume was still low.

I did notice that volume would come back if I cleaned the driver edges, but didnt think much of it till today. I noticed that the driver was kind of 'sticking out' more than the right side. So I applied some pressure to the driver, and volume CAME BACK. The driver is still sticking out, maybe by .01 mm, or like 1/64th of an inch ish, but the volume is completely back.

So my hypothesis is that after a bit of use especially with bass heavy music, may or may not be related to the condensation problem, volume diminishing problem may be due to the driver being 'displaced' inside the aluminum? tube. If you have the volume problem, please see if the driver seems to be displaced and try pushing it in with a little bit of force and see if that fixes it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #3,650 of 4,690
My EPH-100 had already gone through that phase. Right now, I am at the stage that there's no volume coming out whatsoever.

Thanks for your type up though

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3,651 of 4,690

Basically I have my DT770 Pro 32 for home and critical listening, and I need a fun bassy IEM for commuting.

Yup, they would be fine for rap/hip-hop, they have plenty of bass impact. From what I've read and what I've heard myself, they'll have more bass impact than the GR07BE (although the GR07BE will have a somewhat higher quality), but less impact than the wooduo 2.

They don't need an amp. And pairing it with the e07k will probably just increase the already warm sound signature. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #3,652 of 4,690

I'd like to echo the above. An amp won't male any difference to the sound, and I've heard the GR07 have less bass them these. These will be perfect for the music you listen to. Also, if you go the The Basshead Club there's a conversation going on there about the Wooduo, but I've never heard them personally.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,653 of 4,690

Would you guys say that the eph-100 needs burn in? Got them today and my first impression was that the bass was a bit overpowering. Will leave them to burn in overnight and give them a proper listen tomorrow.

I've owned two mid-bass IEMs in my life. The EPH-100 and W3. 

It may clean up a little, but it's going to keep the darker signature.

I was not pleasantly surprised to find out that "the darker signature" is a rather significant characteristic of its overall signature. That's not to say it is not a very pleasantly sounding IEM, but it lacks a bit of transparency to satisfy my preferences. Good you mentioned it!

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #3,654 of 4,690

Guys, I'm looking for a pair of replacement tips. The stock ones are alright but they don't seem to fit my ear canal very well.

Does anyone know of any single-flange tips that will fit the EPH-100s perfectly?

Thanks!

Can you tell me which ones you got? Will these fit the EPH-100s?

The Auvio replacements from Radio Shack are great for the EPhs.

To be sure, are these the tips you're referring to? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026

Would you say that you prefer them over the stock tips, and if so why?

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3,655 of 4,690

I have the Wooduo 2 and the EPH-100 and I do prefer the Wooduo 2 which isolates just as well (or even better, even with its olive shaped stock tips) and has that extra sub bass punch which is so often needed while commuting. Also, the Woodou 2 has an overall clear sounding signature whereas the EPH-100 is on the darker side.

I do seldom write reviews but was so pleasantly surprised by the overall performance of the Woodou 2 that I wrote one here.
Oh, and don't forget to compare ljokerl's reviews of the phones you're mentioning here.

Let us know your pick!

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,656 of 4,690
  are these fake? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-EPH100-Headset-Earphones-Professional-EPH-100-monitor-Headphones-/261372512931?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cdb040aa3&_uhb=1

i live in canada and cant find a decent price anywhere

Don't know, but judging from the pictures they look real to me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #3,657 of 4,690
If you have the volume problem, please see if the driver seems to be displaced and try pushing it in with a little bit of force and see if that fixes it.

I think you are confusing the little protecting metal grill , with the driver; you don't see normally the driver.

Personally I find just annoying this repeated problem with the eph-100, and I got something similar with my previous senn IE7(although the problem appeared much later).

I was using my eph100 mostly in my bed, for viewing film on before sleeping, and I switched to a full size solution.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,658 of 4,690
I would have thought something like the GR07 would be better as they fit flush with the ears. I agree, the EPH100s issues are annoying but they are a great pair of IEMs, especially if you are lucky enough to get a good pair, which is actually more likely than you think. I'm interested in the upcoming Vsonic VSD3/5 as a complement to these, but they seem a long way off.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,659 of 4,690
Hi Ghisy--

These should work: http://www.meelec.com/category_s/380.htm.

I found they ran a little small-the large tips fit the esp100's nozzle, but were too small fo my ears. I would suggest getting a variety of tips, and returning the ones that don't fit, which is what I did.

Hi shuto77,

Thanks. I'm in Europe so I'd rather not return the ones that don't fit as it may be expensive. So I guess these would do then?

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #3,660 of 4,690
  I was not pleasantly surprised to find out that "the darker signature" is a rather significant characteristic of its overall signature. That's not to say it is not a very pleasantly sounding IEM, but it lacks a bit of transparency to satisfy my preferences. Good you mentioned it!

Yup, they're quite dark. I tested these against the RE-400 and I preferred the mids and highs of the RE-400 to the EPH-100. However, the RE-400 was too lacking in terms of bass quantity. My ideal IEM would have the clarity of the RE-400, i.e. the way they present the mids and highs, with a bit more bass weight.

Don't get me wrong, I like how the EPH-100 sounds and I got them to contrast the sound with my Sony 7520 which is highly detailed and analytical and a bit brighter, whereas the EPH-100 is fairly smooth and dark.

But if you don't like a dark sound, the EPH-100 will not be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back