Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,368 of 4,690

Quote:
 It feels like they (EPH)  just aren't getting enough power. When I turn up the volume the bass starts to get the crispness I'm looking for. (just everything else is too loud)

I felt the same too at a certain point. Try amping (I haven't done it). Would like to know how it works.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,369 of 4,690

Quote:
That's the thing. I don't want a bass boost. I'm happy with the bass level. I'm looking for crispness. It feels like they (EPH)  just aren't getting enough power. When I turn up the volume the bass starts to get the crispness I'm looking for. (just everything else is too loud)

Look into the Fiio E6. The EQ2 setting (blue) adds a certain crispness to phones that are darker. It didn't make much of a difference for my iP4 because it already leans toward the bright side, but it should help you out.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #1,370 of 4,690
Tell me they aren't so cute.
atsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,372 of 4,690

Quote:
That's the thing. I don't want a bass boost. I'm happy with the bass level. I'm looking for crispness. It feels like they (EPH)  just aren't getting enough power. When I turn up the volume the bass starts to get the crispness I'm looking for. (just everything else is too loud)

EQing will help.

I wouldn't think a amp would improve the mid to highs (I don't know, shipping sucks), but most the time, more power improves bass.

I would think that your source could be the problem. Some sources/amps will produce a different signature. It's why I have my CR-240, because it's the only receiver I know of the at one point sounds bright, warm, and dark by turning the loudness knob to adjust power flow. 

Nonetheless, a DAC might be a good companion. But, then again, you can just EQ out the change. Most flat/normal EQ's settle flat, while Jazz, Rock, Folk, Metal EQ settings raise the mids and highs. This would deliver your crispiness.

Also, thanks for the input Toy and Miow.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,373 of 4,690

Quote:
Tell me they aren't so cute.
atsmile.gif

Not with Adel's face on there. She's a big beautiful woman, but not cute.

Now Sophie Milman.... Mmm....

The russian beauty. Now she's cute.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,374 of 4,690
My EPH-100 are due for arrival tomorrow. :) I am on a quest to use something alongside and to eventually replace my Pro-Coppers. My first choice was the MG-7 Atrio's but I could not get used to the closed in presentation, so on my price range of under $200 my next choice was the Yamaha's. I am looking forward to see how they turn out.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,375 of 4,690

Quote:Originally Posted by BotByte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you! I never heard of her. Amazing voice and good song.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #1,376 of 4,690

Quote:
Thank you! I never heard of her. Amazing voice and good song.

Diana Krall too.

But who hasn't heard of Diana Krall, especially her Live in Paris album

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,377 of 4,690

Quote:

mehr.......Russian girls are always very cute.....eheheh.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,378 of 4,690
tonyfreak215,
You might want to try a dedicated source. Phones will often skimp on the op-amp, and under power your IEM. The EPH-100 does take a little more juice than some other earphones I have, so that might be the case.  If you like the zune pass, try a Zune HD. You can find them used pretty easily on eBay. The Zune HD is a pretty decent player, and it's pretty small and lightweight as well. I use the EPH-100's with a Sony X-1060, and the bass is quite crisp. I've got a Zune HD at home that I can try to see how it sounds in comparison. Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,380 of 4,690

Quote:
tonyfreak215,
You might want to try a dedicated source. Phones will often skimp on the op-amp, and under power your IEM. The EPH-100 does take a little more juice than some other earphones I have, so that might be the case.  If you like the zune pass, try a Zune HD. You can find them used pretty easily on eBay. The Zune HD is a pretty decent player, and it's pretty small and lightweight as well. I use the EPH-100's with a Sony X-1060, and the bass is quite crisp. I've got a Zune HD at home that I can try to see how it sounds in comparison. Hope this helps.

The problem with the ZuneHD is that the SQ out is, alright. It's good, but can be better. Also, there isn't any EQ customizing and it's quite boring.
The UI is god-tier through. Amazing UI.

Sony DAP's are said to be on the Darker side, so you might want to stray away.
Sansa on the other hand are more Bright, odd right?

I use my Cowon S9, which is more sterile and neutral than either-or. Cowon also push headphones very well without amps (I can push my T50RP without a problem, and my receiver has some difficulty with them vs. my S9). Also the EQ is the selling point and the UI on the S9 is garbage. One good thing is that you can change the UI very easily. I run the Cowon J3's theme on my S9.

Another thing about the Cowon's EQ. You can push down the bass in frequency volume, either a small field or a large area, then you can push the Mack3bass option to push the bass forward. This set of settings would dull down the bass's punch, and improve the texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back