Xuelin Ihifi 800, a brief introduction
May 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #92 of 141
Now all is working well.  Thanks.  The red dot power button and select button now have more distinct separate functions, but I don't see this as a problem.  I just have one request for future updates:  could you try to incorporate a few larger font options?  An old man like me is having trouble seeing some of these smaller fonts...  Thanks again.

May 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #95 of 141
Settings - Theme settings - Font.
Arent 35-Nimbus is not enough for you?

Well, with your initial .rockbox, you gave us several different font choices, but if you look at the revised .rockbox files for the 770C and the 800, the only font choice is 15 Helvetica...  Changing the theme will not increase the font choices.  I don't need anything as large as 35, but font selections up to about 18 would be nice...

May 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #96 of 141
  Well, with your initial .rockbox, you gave us several different font choices, but if you look at the revised .rockbox files for the 770C and the 800, the only font choice is 15 Helvetica...  Changing the theme will not increase the font choices.  I don't need anything as large as 35, but font selections up to about 18 would be nice...

Oh wait, I get it now.  We download the updates onto the microsd card with original .rockbox file.  Sorry, I thought these were 2 separate files for the .rockbox...

May 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #98 of 141
Got it now.  The program is working great now.  Thanks so much for everything.... You have greatly increased the value of the 800 and new 770C.  I hope everyone who owns one or both of these players takes advantage of your efforts...

May 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #99 of 141
Have you downloaded the drivers to your computer?  Are you using a PC with Windows 7 or XP?  The process will not work with with windows 8 or 10.  If you are using Windows 7, the process may not work if your computer's processor is a newer i5 or i7.

Yes, the firmware installer program can see my IHIFI800. I hit the "switch" for loader. Everything is fine. Rockbox is on my formatted to fat32 (128gb card).

Installing computer is running Windows 7 on an atom processor. Drivers installed fine.

May 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #102 of 141
  No, the firmware on the player will not prevent the upgrade.  Try running the RKupgrade image as administrator.  This is often a necessary step with Windows 7.

Update on progress.  The intel cpu's that will not work on the update programs:
intel core 3, core 5, core 7
Intel atom

My son's old computer with a core duo worked for my update.  Now my IHIFI 800 sounds like a real hifi player.  Full of life and excitement.  The original firmware was so flat and no excitement in the music.  

ROCKBOX:    Rocks.

May 2, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #104 of 141

Update on progress.  The intel cpu's that will not work on the update programs:
intel core 3, core 5, core 7
Intel atom

My son's old computer with a core duo worked for my update.  Now my IHIFI 800 sounds like a real hifi player.  Full of life and excitement.  The original firmware was so flat and no excitement in the music.  

ROCKBOX:    Rocks.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you got your 800 Rockbox'd....

May 7, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #105 of 141
Based on the frequency response posted here from Reference Audio Analyzer, the iHiFi 800, like the 770, seems to have a notable drop in bass below 80hz. The iHiFi 960 and the FiiO players don't seem to have this. This seems to correspond with jdog's excellently detailed notes on bass comparisons between the 800 and 960 as well as the 800 and FiiO X3ii. Interestingly, jdog's interpretation is that the X3 has less clean bass (and that the iHiFi 960 just has more bass) - but given the freq response data, perhaps this might be attributed to the YinJW ie800 overemphasizing the bass a bit (which would be why he likes to use them with the 800). 

I wonder if the under-emphasized bass in the iHiFi 800 can be successfully corrected in EQ, especially now that Rockbox is available. This is the main thing that is preventing me from pulling the trigger on an iHiFi 800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back