Xuelin Ihifi 800, a brief introduction
May 21, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #121 of 141
  @XVortex,

There appears to be a problem with the Rockbox firmware for the 800.  With the Xuelin firmware, the player has an absolute black background with no hum or buzz.  However, using the current Rockbox firmware, there seems to be an overall decrease in power, but there is a noticeable buzz when the screen is on.  This does not happen with the Rockbox'd 960 and I haven't noticed this on the 770c.  Is it possible that the Rockbox firmware for the 800 bypasses the LPF or one of the amps?  Is there any way that you can try to correct this problem?  Thanks for your consideration...

My IHIFI 800 does not have any background or buzz noise when the screen is on.  

May 21, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #122 of 141
Just wanted to share, just received my Fiio A3 amplifier. All I gotta say is wow. Really opened up the sound stage the music is so rich and warm. Clarity and bass tightness has improved. Really recommend a headphone amp with the IHIFI 800.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #124 of 141
I realize it's been a couple of months since this forum's been active, but I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone who has Rockboxed the iHifi 800 had any luck with 128GB microSD cards? The 16GB card that it came with works fine. So I bought a 128GB card (Silicon Power) that seems to read fine with the stock iHifi firmware, in the PC and other devices (eg, Sansa Clip). However, rockbox will usually throw an error (ata: -21). Once in a while I can boot up with rockbox, but it is unstable, and I can only play a few seconds of the song before it stops. Often ending in kicking me into rockbox panic mode.

I have tried to update to the latest rockbox (build that ends in 520) that is available on XVortex's download page, but no difference. (FYI - in this build, the power button is the same as the red select button on front - only way to power off is to hold the back button for a second - but not a problem once you know).

I didn't think rockbox had SSD size limitations?

Edit: I have tried formatting with FAT32 file system.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #125 of 141
I have been able to use a 128 gb microsd card (PNY brand) with my Rockbox'd iHiFi 800.  I have not had any problems with error messages.  The Rockbox'd 960 also does well with the 128 gb card.  

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #126 of 141
  I have been able to use a 128 gb microsd card (PNY brand) with my Rockbox'd iHiFi 800.  I have not had any problems with error messages.  The Rockbox'd 960 also does well with the 128 gb card.  

Thanks for the feedback. Could you tell me which specific PNY card it is? Any info on card  speed? Formatted as FAT32 (allocation unit size?).

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #127 of 141
  Thanks for the feedback. Could you tell me which specific PNY card it is? Any info on card  speed? Formatted as FAT32 (allocation unit size?).

Here is a link for the card I have:  https://www.pny.com/128gb-high-performance-microsdxc-40mbs-sale.  I used the guiformat tool that Xuelin used to have as a download on their website; I tried to download the file today, but I couldn't.  I do have a copy of the file, so if you PM your email address, I'll send along a copy of the file to you.  The tool automatically set the parameters and its been so long since I formatted the card that I can't remember sector size.  I think you can adjust the sector size with the tool, though.  Good luck...

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #128 of 141
  Here is a link for the card I have:  https://www.pny.com/128gb-high-performance-microsdxc-40mbs-sale.  I used the guiformat tool that Xuelin used to have as a download on their website; I tried to download the file today, but I couldn't.  I do have a copy of the file, so if you PM your email address, I'll send along a copy of the file to you.  The tool automatically set the parameters and its been so long since I formatted the card that I can't remember sector size.  I think you can adjust the sector size with the tool, though.  Good luck...

I've tried using guiformat as well. (In case you are wondering where you can get it now that it's not on Xuelin's website, here is link). It doesn't make any difference. Neither does changing the allocation unit size. It's quite strange that the stock Xuelin firmware reads my Silicon Power SD card, but Rockbox doesn't like it at all - yet has no problems with the smaller, older gen microSD card and works with your PNY...

Anyway, thanks for the info RE the PNY card. I'll see if I can find one for a good price in my area.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #129 of 141
In case anyone else is wondering about flash media for their rockboxed players, thought I'd report back. Tried to find that particular Patriot 128GB card, but couldn't source it easily (looks to be an end of line model number?)

Anyway, found a Kingston 64GB card that was also Class 10 (as the Patriot and Silicon Power 128GB models). However, the rated speed of the Kingston was closer to that of the Patriot linked above (around 45 mb/s). The good news is that the 64GB Kingston card works flawlessly. No idea what's going on with the Silicon Power card. As mentioned, seems to work fine in other devices. The only thing that jumps out is that the rated speed of the Silicon Power is much higher... Hopefully this doesn't mean that the new microSD cards are less likely to be compatible with rockbox for some reason?

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #130 of 141
Hi.

I got my IHIFI 800 last week and tried to Rockbox it. No success.

The 16GB card was formatted FAT32 with SDFormater V4.0. Rockbox was expanded to the card; the bootloader was expanded to ->
C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\

Then I installed the drivers ->

C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\Driver\DriverInstall.exe

and started ->
C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\RK27Upgrade_Image.exe

The 800 is device F:, the card with .rockbox is device G:

RK27Upgrade_Image says “Found RK27 MSC Devide” in the bottom line.

After pushing the “Switch” button device F: and G: disappear from explorer and RK27Upgrade_Image says “Found RK27 Loader Device”.

Now, after pushing the “Upgrade” button I get the messages

INFO:  Test:  Device Started
ERROR:  Test Device Fail
INFO:  Upgrade End

I use a ACER Notebook (Extensa 5635Z) with a Intel Pentium processor T4500 and WIN7.
Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #131 of 141
Hi.

I got my IHIFI 800 last week and tried to Rockbox it. No success.

The 16GB card was formatted FAT32 with SDFormater V4.0. Rockbox was expanded to the card; the bootloader was expanded to ->
C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\

Then I installed the drivers ->

C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\Driver\DriverInstall.exe

and started ->
C:\Users\Klaus\Music\XUELIN IHIFI800\Rockbox\RK27Upgrade_Image.exe

The 800 is device F:, the card with .rockbox is device G:

RK27Upgrade_Image says “Found RK27 MSC Devide” in the bottom line.

After pushing the “Switch” button device F: and G: disappear from explorer and RK27Upgrade_Image says “Found RK27 Loader Device”.

Now, after pushing the “Upgrade” button I get the messages

INFO:  Test:  Device Started
ERROR:  Test Device Fail
INFO:  Upgrade End

I use a ACER Notebook (Extensa 5635Z) with a Intel Pentium processor T4500 and WIN7.
Any help would be appreciated.
try WinXP?

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #133 of 141
Just did and it worked but Rockbox does not run stable. Hangs off very often and I have to reset the player.

Rockbox has been very stable on my 800.  You might try another microsd card loaded with .rockbox...  Did you have problems with player with stock firmware before Rockboxing, or do you have problems with player when you run the Xuelin firmware now?

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #134 of 141
I tried another (brand) micro sd card, formated with SDFormater (Option: FULL(OverWrite) and everthing is working great now. I was listening with my new InEar DUNU 2000J all night long.

Thank you for the hint @jdog.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #135 of 141
  I tried another (brand) micro sd card, formated with SDFormater (Option: FULL(OverWrite) and everthing is working great now. I was listening with my new InEar DUNU 2000J all night long.

Thank you for the hint @jdog.

Glad to hear things worked out ok,  XVortex has done us a great service with Rockbox....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back