Xonar Essence STX with Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) - Whats next? opamps? amp?
Apr 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nova13

Head-Fier
I currently run a Xonar Essence STX with some dt880/600's via the headphone out.  I feel the upgrade itch and am ready to make my next move.

I have been drooling over a Woo Audio 3 for quite some time, and am considering it. 

However, I realized I have yet to dink around with the opamps on my card.  Are they worth it??

I have searched on this, but most of the threads go into way to much detail with regard to the opamps, and I get lost.  So my question is - does which opamps I pick have to do with the cans I am driving?  Do those considerations change if I decide to use line-out to the woo audio 3 then to my beyers?  I know there are 3 opamps on the card to be swapped, and only 2 of them need to be touched if you intend on only using lineout.  Essentially - are opamps matched to the cans, or are they just inherent to the card and its really irrelevant to the attached cans?

Is the WA3 worth getting (for me)?  Again, I have searched on this, and I know for sure that the WA3 and the dt880/600's are a match made in heaven, but, will my whole system be severely handicapped with stx via line-outs as my source?  I'd like to notice a difference if I am to spend 500 usd. :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 8
Wondering the same. I have the 250ohm DT 880s and was looking at upgrading my op amps, but I get lost reading everything. The STX and cans sound great together, so I think(for me) a nice op amp upgrade is all I need.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 8
In my opinion, you probably do not need to "upgrade", but if you want to, it is your choice; I would personally spend the money on trying different headphones. Note that with an external amplifier that is grounded (has a 3-prong AC connector), you may also need a DAC as well, because of grounding issues (on the Computer Audio forum, many people report such problems).

"Rolling" op amps is technically rather useless except in some (not common) specific cases. The card already comes with good op amps that do not really limit its performance. However, many people believe in it, just like in cable upgrades, so you can try it if you want.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Even a magni or o2 or indeed will be a huge upgrade over the stx amp. What is your budget?

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Even a magni or o2 or indeed will be a huge upgrade over the stx amp.

Judging from your profile and post history, you do not have any of those, or even the DT880, for that matter. Surely, you can back up your "huge upgrade" claims (for example, vs. the O2) by a rational, objective explanation then ? To me, it just looks like you are extremely biased against the "stx amp".

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Wondering the same. I have the 250ohm DT 880s and was looking at upgrading my op amps, but I get lost reading everything. The STX and cans sound great together, so I think(for me) a nice op amp upgrade is all I need.

The best thing you can do for yourself is browse the internet looking for objective, critical information on the subject of op amps, tube amps, etc. It will help you accept the idea that where you are at the moment (already having a great amp and dac) is arguably very close to how good it can get. Look outside of headfi and find real information, and don't listen to the people who hear what they want to believe, rather than what's actually there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back