Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #334 of 2,066
Thank you very much. Do you think it could be a good source for an HD650 and a Stax headphone? The reviews are very convincing but I've not read anything about the STX associated with those headphones.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #336 of 2,066
I'll put to the tests my new Xonar Essence STX against the gears of Pompon: SinglePower MPX3 Slam, AudioResearch CD3 MK2, HD650 recabled with Equinox LE...

Wait for our review...
atsmile.gif

UPDATE: We can add his new acquisition --> SinglePower Dragon...
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #337 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by finaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll put to the tests my new Xonar Essence STX against the gears of Pompon: SinglePower MPX3 Slam, AudioResearch CD3 MK2, HD650 recabled with Equinox LE...

Wait for our review...
atsmile.gif

Very nice! Please make a new post, don't put the review as a reply here =D

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #339 of 2,066
Quick question.. the manual instructs to use the 3.5mm to RCA adapter to connect headphones to the RCA outs. Why would you do that when you have a headphone out specifically for that? Is there a difference in sound quality between the outputs?

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #341 of 2,066
Someone mentioned crosstalk on the smaller 3.5mm plugs, can someone explain that + how much of an issue is that for soundcards?

Also, my Cyberlink PowerDVD comes with Dolby Headphone option atm, and I can run it with my Realtek onboard soundcard. So how is this different to having the Essence STX that supports it?

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #342 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will you share your experiences? what parts are you going to use?

go to the audioasylum forum-- pc-audio, and look for the post from john swenson regarding a linear power supply for the fit-pc. he posted a schematic and instructions for a good psu. it wil have to be made for both 5v and 12v, and we are not sure yet whether it is big enough, since we don't have the specific current demands for the two voltages seprately. maybe rob can get more specific answers from asus.....

20 watts is a pretty big supply, so this is a work in progress. i just ordered the parts from digikey (inductors from mouser).

i am enjoying the card with the stock opamps and the antec psu built into the fusion case for the moment. it is very palpable and full-bodied, but could be a bit more dynamic. i've only got about 24 hours on it, playing a huge play list via winamp. i'll try to follow-up as i figure out more about the card.

best,

Mark

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #344 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Fzman, I am working on getting you more specific current requirement.

ROBSCIX, thanks for taking the time to contact asus to find that out for us. i say 'us' because it seems like several people want to pursue this. John Swenson has posted a very good psu which may work, or need some adjusting to supply the relevant current for both the 5v and 12v lines. i hope i didn't come across acting as if you owed us that info. if i did, i am sorry. seems like as a reviewer, you;ve got better access to asus, so i was simply hoping that they would be willing to give you the info, without too much additional effort on your part.

i am going to try to build the 12v part of it today, and see what happens. so far the card, feeding my main speaker-based reference system is sounding very good. it is the most natural of the ones i've tried so far --- juli@ analog via rca and balanced, juli@ via spdif coax via several dacs, and two different versions of the prodigy hd-2, both re-op-amped both via toslink and analog rca.

that said, it could be a bit more dynamic, and because it is so full-bodied sounding, it seems to lack a bit of top-end sparkle and samp. on the other hand, it is not bright or screechy, and is very analog sounding.

it barely fits in my gigabyte mobo, because the single ram module is sort of in the way of the back of it. nothing in the mobo manual specifies that either slot is mandatory when using a single ram module, so i am going to move it over, next time i power down.

more to follow.........

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #345 of 2,066
No worries, I understand you are just asking. I will go through my channels and if I can get the info I will as I like modding audio devices myself so I would like to see the results of this.

Do you think a external PSU will make the much of a audible difference?
Consider: The STX has power tapped right from the PSU and they use high quality capacitors for power filtering. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to see how the project turns out. Good Luck I will see what info I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back