Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #316 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmzio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! and i wanted to let people know that the asusaudiocentre skin is completely customizable...Theres a nice(cleaner) one over at deviantart.com here, it has to be modified a little to work correctly with the Essence though. I did the necessary changes myself.

Actually, i wouldn't mind sharing my modified version, if somebody knows a good place where i could upload it to?

*UPDATE*
Ok wait, it is a very simple modification. just go in Asus_Xonar_Custom_Skin_by_dobee\Skin\Status - Copy StatusPanel_DX.jpg to your desktop, rename it StatusPanel_STX.jpg and put back in and Voila! After you can copy the \Skin folder to your asus driver folder, x:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio\Customapp and overwrite.

Check out drop.io It's free with no sign-ups
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the link zimmzio. I modded Dobee's mod with your suggestion and removed support for the other cards (we're only interested in a STX skin right?) to reduce file size.

I have the mod available at Asus Xonar Custom Skin by Dobee

Instructions:

1. Right click on your Xonar Essence STX Audio Center system tray icon and select 'Exit'.

2. Extract xonarstx.zip to your x:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio\Customapp\ and overwrite

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #318 of 2,066
oh.. GOD.. the seceret chambers of the Xonar are gradually being discovered...

And it looks great. Thanks Zimmio and Woodsmith!

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #319 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got the parts to build a linear psu for it, but will try it with pc's psu first, and with the stock op amps just to see what it's like.

will you share your experiences? what parts are you going to use?

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #320 of 2,066
Btw, anyone using Vista 64bit having problems with the HD Front Panel audio output? Not that I'm going to use this that often, if I'm going to use it at all, but I can't get audio to my heapdhones from my case's HD front panel, although I attached the cable to the card. Can't exclude this could be a problem with my case, as tbh I never tried this feature on it...

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #322 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, anyone using Vista 64bit having problems with the HD Front Panel audio output? Not that I'm going to use this that often, if I'm going to use it at all, but I can't get audio to my heapdhones from my case's HD front panel, although I attached the cable to the card. Can't exclude this could be a problem with my case, as tbh I never tried this feature on it...

I haven't had a chance to check the manual if you can switch it but it is possible your front panel connector is AC'97 and not HDA. Check your case manufacturer's website/manual to find out.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #323 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't had a chance to check the manual if you can switch it but it is possible your front panel connector is AC'97 and not HDA. Check your case manufacturer's website/manual to find out.

It's this one

Enermax: Produkte - PhoenixNeo ECA3162-BS

Thus it's HD, at least from the specs...

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #325 of 2,066
Quote:

There should be two settings in the drop box: Headphones and FP Headphones. You need to set ot for FP headphones this should route the signal to the Front Panl Headphone jack.

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #326 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be two settings in the drop box: Headphones and FP Headphones. You need to set ot for FP headphones this should route the signal to the Front Panl Headphone jack.

Hope this helps.

I know...as I said, no sound comes from the front panel when setting the output on FP Headphones...

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #328 of 2,066
Quote:

I know...as I said, no sound comes from the front panel when setting the output on FP Headphones...

Just checking. Maybe you do have the wrong connector perhaps.
You could always change it out with one that is compatible. Until then just run the cans to the rear of the system.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #329 of 2,066
I'm quite interested in this card, but I've read some people saying that the drivers had many problems and it was frequent not to have any sound when playing to games.
I'm not a hardcore gamer and my aim is essentially to listen to music with my PC, but sometimes, I like to play and it would be a shame not to have any sound. Have you experienced some problems like this?

Also, I don't have PCIe 1x slots on my motherboard, only PCIe 16x. Is it possible to put the Xonar into a 16x slot? Or maybe is there a PCI version?

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #330 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just checking. Maybe you do have the wrong connector perhaps.
You could always change it out with one that is compatible. Until then just run the cans to the rear of the system.

This is why I asked AC'97 or HDA which he confirmed is HDA. Fafner you should double check the connection terminal and make sure its snug. It was a little difficult to put the connector all the way in for me (tiny PCI-E makes the board wiggle around like crazy). I know you've probably done this but make sure onboard audio is disabled. Alternatively you could enable onboard audio and connect the HDA connector to the mobo to get sound out that way... but I'm sure its not worth the Vista woes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this in stock anywhere in the US? I'm ready to click the buy button but I can't find it online.

It seems that NCIX keeps a few of these cards up on Ebay, act fast there are only 3 left as of this post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zblarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite interested in this card, but I've read some people saying that the drivers had many problems and it was frequent not to have any sound when playing to games ... I like to play and it would be a shame not to have any sound. Have you experienced some problems like this?

Also, I don't have PCIe 1x slots on my motherboard, only PCIe 16x. Is it possible to put the Xonar into a 16x slot? Or maybe is there a PCI version?

Are you sure you're not talking about creative boards? :p the Essence STX works perfectly for me (Intel MOBO, VISTA x64) and I play a lot of games with hardware sound enabled (including WoW which some have mentioned not working here). This card is compatible with any PCIe slot including x16. (its really because those x16 slots have legacy support much like USB 2.0 works with USB1 devices)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back