Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #361 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTrouble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice first reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, if you A/B onboard+Cyberlink's Dolby Headphone with Xonar's Dolby Headphone, you'll find Xonar kicking onboard codec's butt very seriously (I did this with realtek / Xonar D1).

But the key here ain't Dolby headphone, it's Xonar's superior sound quality making the virtual surround waaaay better than onboard, all the details are brought up and made a seriously realistic sound image. I don't know if it's a hardware Dolby headphone, but I can assure you that we just can't ignore sound quality when trying to compare sound effect.

BTW, just saw this card awarded by a more gamer-oriented media -
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Review

Sorry you're missing the point again. I am not doubting the Asus sound quality (afterall I am thinking of buying it). I am just wondering whether the Asus being specially compliant with Dolby HP will be any different, to say the Auzentech Forte 7.1, which could easily play Dolby HP through the PowerDVD codec.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #362 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROBSCIX, thanks for taking the time to contact asus to find that out for us. i say 'us' because it seems like several people want to pursue this. John Swenson has posted a very good psu which may work, or need some adjusting to supply the relevant current for both the 5v and 12v lines. i hope i didn't come across acting as if you owed us that info. if i did, i am sorry. seems like as a reviewer, you;ve got better access to asus, so i was simply hoping that they would be willing to give you the info, without too much additional effort on your part.

Here is some more in depth info,

Q1, How much current does the 12 volt line Draw and how much current does the 5 volts lines draw. -for the molex connector.

Ans: +12V --> 0.15A, +5V --> 0.68A

Q2, Also, does the card draw less power when the headamp chip isn't been used?

Ans: Yes

Hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #363 of 2,066
Has anyone tried a mic on it yet? PS I still haven't got mine yet it was out for delivery yesterday than it never got here so I check the tracking and it said sent back to FedEx Package not due for delivery!!

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #364 of 2,066
Quick question! Did anyone try to order this from NCIX outlet on eBay? I did and I don't want to send payment unless they actually have it in stock..

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #365 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by finaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll put to the tests my new Xonar Essence STX against the gears of Pompon: SinglePower MPX3 Slam, AudioResearch CD3 MK2, HD650 recabled with Equinox LE...

Wait for our review...
atsmile.gif

Cool... But i hope you'll let 100~150hours of burn-in on the amp section before you do...
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #366 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question! Did anyone try to order this from NCIX outlet on eBay? I did and I don't want to send payment unless they actually have it in stock..

I don't think they would sell them on ebay unless they actually had separate stock for their ebay items. Could you imagine buying something on ebay and then the seller telling you that they don't have the item you just paid for so wait a week before they get it in stock?? Their approval ratings would go down in flames. The longer you wait to pay them, the longer it will take for you to receive this wonderful card. If you're that paranoid, just give them a call. (1-888-502-9777)

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #367 of 2,066
ROBSCIX;5287055 said:
Here is some more in depth info,

Q1, How much current does the 12 volt line Draw and how much current does the 5 volts lines draw. -for the molex connector.

Ans: +12V --> 0.15A, +5V --> 0.68A

thank you. one more q. this is 5.2W, significantly less than expected 20W. Are these values measured at "full load"?

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #368 of 2,066
I should mention that with the current driver, I'm having issues getting the MIC IN working. Not a big deal as I have onboard for that, but I would like to get it resolved eventually.

Anyone else having issues with MIC IN?

I'm running vista x64 sp1

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #369 of 2,066
Quote:

I should mention that with the current driver, I'm having issues getting the MIC IN working. Not a big deal as I have onboard for that, but I would like to get it resolved eventually.

Anyone else having issues with MIC IN?

I'm running vista x64 sp1

In the GUI make sure you have the mic selected since it uses that same jack for many different kinds of input. Go to the mixer tab at the bottom, then look a little farther up and click "Record". You'll see a bunch of volume bars. The second from the left is the Mic one. You have to click the little gray ball under the bar so that it turns red (hard to explain but you'll see it; I think Mix is the default one selected). I had to click the balls back and forth a couple of times to get it to work my first time.

Edit: On a side note, right below the ball on the mic bar is another button you can press. This will send your mic input to output (headphones/speakers) so you can easily test if it works that way.

Quote:

Has anyone tried a mic on it yet?

I use vent pretty frequently and I remember the first time I switched from onboard to the card and said something, they all told me that I sounded really really clear and asked me what I did differently. And I'm only using a dinky 5 dollar mic that sits on my desk, so I'm pretty sure the mic input is excellent from personal experience.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #370 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you. one more q. this is 5.2W, significantly less than expected 20W. Are these values measured at "full load"?

You have PM.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #372 of 2,066
I finally got my Xonar STX
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sounds clear and clean and my music sounds so detailed now and I love the bass
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW I am using it with HDJ1000.

Question: Is it normal for the card to get hot ? I installed 2 hours ago and its hotter than my 8800 GTS.

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #373 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use vent pretty frequently and I remember the first time I switched from onboard to the card and said something, they all told me that I sounded really really clear and asked me what I did differently. And I'm only using a dinky 5 dollar mic that sits on my desk, so I'm pretty sure the mic input is excellent from personal experience.

Same exact thing happened to me. Using a 7$ Zalman mic myself.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #374 of 2,066
guys, do you think this card will be able to drive K701 properly? i'm looking to upgrade from HD555 and need to know if Essence will be up to the job.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #375 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by d(((--)))b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my Xonar STX
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sounds clear and clean and my music sounds so detailed now and I love the bass
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW I am using it with HDJ1000.

Question: Is it normal for the card to get hot ? I installed 2 hours ago and its hotter than my 8800 GTS.

Is your GTS blowing its exhaust onto the card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back