Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Dec 27, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #106 of 2,066
THat does synerise with DAC (such as the iBasso D3/Pico) through ASIO?

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #107 of 2,066
I can't find the
n1_Large_Cart.gif
button in Xonar Essence' page on NewEgg.

Does that mean sold out?!!! that's really fast....
redface.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #108 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the
n1_Large_Cart.gif
button in Xonar Essence' page on NewEgg.

Does that mean sold out?!!! that's really fast....
redface.gif

If you look at the ETA should been next Friday 1-2-09 when back in stock. Better be fast I have my money ready
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #110 of 2,066
hi, I'm a new guy here and this is my first post here, so cheers...

well.. what I want to say is, I am a Taiwaness, and I am really surprised to find Asus is also making seems pretty good sound cards now. I mean, these cards are not sold or discussed in Taiwan but is highly praised here.

Guess I'll have to make some phone calls to their HQ and tell them "I want it in my and also your own country, and I want it now...."

Can't wait to get this card, I've got 1TB of music files waiting for it....

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #112 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna wait until I give the card a week or so to fully burn in and then I'll probably order the Sun from the link you provided. I've never tried a discrete opamp before so now I'm curious.
smily_headphones1.gif
And $30 seems like a decent price.

Incidentally, if I got one where would I attach the grounding wire? Somewhere on my PC case, or on the card's EMI shield maybe? Or would I not use the grounding wire at all? The site you linked says, "User can choose to decide his own, but we recommend to connect the earth wire to ground. Do not connect OPAs earth wire to AC power socket ground."

I think what was suggested was to connect the grounding wire to the analog ground. Although im sure any ground would work, or no ground at all. I remember there was discussion over this and most people either didn't bother with it or just attached it to analog ground because it was recommended by Kingwa, the designer

Either way, the general concensus is that OPA-Earth provided better SQ then the OPA-Sun on the basis that OPA-Sun tended to be overly bright and unatural. I have only tested OPA-Sun Version 1 for this.. so maybe they fixed it a bit with Ver. 2. OPA-Moon is said to produce a more "tubey" sound. I have yet to try this one but I know a few people that enjoy the sound.

OPA-Earth sits in my Zero atm, probably the most neutral of the three, which is fine for me as I have a Darkvoice Tube amp feeding AKG K701s

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #113 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what was suggested was to connect the grounding wire to the analog ground. Although im sure any ground would work, or no ground at all. I remember there was discussion over this and most people either didn't bother with it or just attached it to analog ground because it was recommended by Kingwa, the designer

Either way, the general concensus is that OPA-Earth provided better SQ then the OPA-Sun on the basis that OPA-Sun tended to be overly bright and unatural. I have only tested OPA-Sun Version 1 for this.. so maybe they fixed it a bit with Ver. 2. OPA-Moon is said to produce a more "tubey" sound. I have yet to try this one but I know a few people that enjoy the sound.

OPA-Earth sits in my Zero atm, probably the most neutral of the three, which is fine for me as I have a Darkvoice Tube amp feeding AKG K701s

Ahh, thanks, good info to know. I might try connecting the wire to one of the hypergrounding screws on the card. I'll have to do a little more research, but if the Earth is the most neutral as you say that'll probably be the one I go for since right now I really like the overall sonic signature of the STX.

@ROBSCIX, yes, I've replaced the LM4562 opamp w/ my LT1361, and I plan on trying the LT1364 and LME9860 later on as well since I have them on hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
I might also try the LM6171 since Jan Meier has had such good luck w/ it in his Corda amps, and am considering dual OPA637's as well, though that route is a little bit spendier than the others so maybe I'll just wait until you guys over at HWC to test that one first.
tongue_smile.gif

The LT1361 in the STX is an improvement over the LM4562 BTW, although the differences are minor. It provides very similar benefits to the other cards I've tried it in. Lower/mid Bass becomes stronger and more visceral. 3D imaging and soundstage depth are also improved especially in the treble region. Instruments sound a little more focused as well.

OTOH, the LM4562 does have a little more treble energy, and the overall volume seems a touch higher than the LT1361. There also seems to be a slight boost in the upper mids/lower treble region which makes the STX sound ever-so-slightly too bright in some recordings for my taste. The boost isn't uncomfortable or distracting at all though, and I could see where someone could prefer the slight boost.

Overall I prefer the 1361, though. I only paid $6.38 for it at Digikey, so I suggest that anyone who buys an STX at least try it out since it's so cheap.

Oh, I also said I'd post some pics, so here they are.

Here is the card and all of the box's contents. We have 2 marketing brochures, user guide, driver cd, booklet of Audio Precision test results, RCA-to-mini adapter, 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter, and spdif adapter.
PC270097.jpg

Closer shot of the goods.
PC270104.jpg

This one is of the STX w/ the shield off (held on by 4 screws from the back) and the LT1361 installed to the right of the red RCA connector.
PC270106.jpg

Here it is next to the Xonar HDAV 1.3. The STX is about 1/4" shorter in length.
PC270099.jpg

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #114 of 2,066
I wonder, is there maybe like an 'ultimate' OPAMP upgrade for this.. maybe even upwards of $50? the 1361 offers a 'minor' upgrade as you say.. so is there like a $50 OPAMP that might give a major upgrade?

Btw, thank you for pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #116 of 2,066
hi,

does anyone know when this card will be available in germany or somewhere else in europe?

seems to be interesting.

anyone testet this card directly with hd650 without anything else like extern dac or amp? how are the results?

how good is the dac on this card compared to the esi juli@?

how good is the amp compared to a beginner tube amp like the darkvoice 336se?

thx

maybe i cosider to get this card instead of the juli@+darcvoice amp if the result is not much different.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #117 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auidodude34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alydon you read my mind I wanted to know what accessories came with the card
biggrin.gif

And how was it switching out the OPAMP any problems?

Opamps on this card are easy to change. Remove the EMI/RFI sheild and remove the stock opamp and install the new one. However, if your not the "hands on" type you may want another to try.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #118 of 2,066
Swedish stores will be getting it February 1st and since it's really easy to import headphones and stuff from Germany here I don't see any reason why Germany wouldn't get it before or at the same time.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #119 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdampf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

does anyone know when this card will be available in germany or somewhere else in europe?

seems to be interesting.

anyone testet this card directly with hd650 without anything else like extern dac or amp? how are the results?

how good is the dac on this card compared to the esi juli@?

how good is the amp compared to a beginner tube amp like the darkvoice 336se?

thx

maybe i cosider to get this card instead of the juli@+darcvoice amp if the result is not much different.

If you want to compare DAC chips specifications, the Essence STX can surpass the Juli@ for DAC measurments. You have to consider though, this card is the new flagship for the Xonar Line-up and the Juli@ is a bit dated now. You may prefer the sonic siganture of one over the other but the numbers show the Essence surpasses the Juli@ alteast as far as imperical measurments of the DAC chip are concerned, that is if my memory serves me.
Keep in mind though both cards are from different generations and really meant for different audio tasks. It is like comparing a apple to a orange.

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #120 of 2,066
FineAxe have one in order ... the good news .. I live very close to him and we will be able to test that sound card against : X-Meridian stock + lm4562, X-Meridian + LM4562 + caps + dc decoupling mod, Xonar D2X

I never heard one soundcard as good as the X-Meridian 7.1 ... the best DAC I heard (without paying 14 000$) was tie with my x-meridian and my cd-player (high end unit) is slighty better ... difficult for me to know wich one is playing.

If the XTS is better than that, I will buy one! :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back