Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Dec 30, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #121 of 2,066
Hi, i checked Asus site again today, they've corrected the spec to 117..
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
124dB for Front-out,117dB for Headphone-out (600ohms) dB

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #122 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auidodude34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alydon you read my mind I wanted to know what accessories came with the card
biggrin.gif

And how was it switching out the OPAMP any problems?

Like ROBSCIX said it's a piece o' cake.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just remove the 4 little screws from the back of the card and the shield practically falls off. The opamp itself is held in place by tension alone. You probably can't unplug it from its socket with your fingers, but a $3 chip extractor or a pair of needlenose pliers with a light to medium grip will pull one out no problem if you gently rock the chip back and forth a few times. Then you just plug the new one in, with pin 1 (specified by a dot or divot on the chip) point to the left towards the RCA ports and screw the shield back on and boom, you're done!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i checked Asus site again today, they've corrected the spec to 117..
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):
124dB for Front-out,117dB for Headphone-out (600ohms) dB

Ya, I saw that too. Pretty impressive considering the opamp they use has a spec'd theoretical rating of 120dB.

Oh, a word of note about the amp section's gain selector. It can be dynamically changed in real-time even while music is playing via a dropdown menu in the STX control panel. Quite impressive, considering the Claro Halo forces you to actually pull the sound card out to change the gain level. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about getting one of these two cards....
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #123 of 2,066
hum.. that's really a plus.
I didn't know Claro Halo requires pulling out the card to change the gain...

What if I got a new headphone then?Leaving the cover open all the time?

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #124 of 2,066
I forgot to mention that part. The Claro Halo uses pins and a jumper to selece the Gain range and the Essence has a software selectable switch. I showed the panel for those interested in the Sneak Peak.

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #128 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered but I didn't get a tracking number. It was listed as 2-5 days so I'll be lucky if it ships tomorrow

They supposedly shipped ~3 units today and i was to be one of them "supposedly"... i won't go into details but I have a terrible feeling that they're playing favorites with these, maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyway i don't think they're being totally honest with me and others for that matter and I'm not very happy about it.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #130 of 2,066
Quote:

Well it could just be first come first serve.. though why they only shipped 3 units is beyond me.

How did you find that out btw?

Well i talked to a rep this afternoon and she said they had 4 in stock, but after finding out they only have one shipping facility located in Vancouver i had no choice in asking her to upgrade the shipping service from ground to Air(I'm in Quebec btw, would of took over a week transit), she then told me that in order to make the necessary changes they will have to put my order on hold for a few hours... See i was initially mislead by their stock counter in thinking they had 2 warehouses so i assumed my order would be filled and shipped from the warehouse in Toronto, but obviously that isn't the case. Anyway later today i received an email stating that they had made the necessary changes to my order but unfortunately by the time this was done they had already depleted the stocks and the order is now currently pending and in backorder and with no eta.

I'm obviously very disappointed by them and i now regret ever mentioning them as possible source for Xonar Essence STX's.

*UPDATE*

On a more positive note... I found a place in my city that has them, i'll know tomorrow for sure... But it looks good and what makes it even sweeter is that they're selling them for less then NCIX. Brick and Mortar Baby! Woohooo!!!

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #131 of 2,066
Well unfortunatelly they're the first ones that are going to have it in Canada.

And yeah a Warehouse stock number is their distributor, not themselves.
frown.gif
Quite misleading I know, especially since I got an email from them thats supposed to notify me when its IN STOCK. Which it clearly isn't

You and I just gotta wait man. I too payed for Air shipping and am hoping they ship it out Thursday latest so I can have it friday.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #134 of 2,066
Quote:

Well unfortunatelly they're the first ones that are going to have it in Canada.

And yeah a Warehouse stock number is their distributor, not themselves.
frown.gif
Quite misleading I know, especially since I got an email from them thats supposed to notify me when its IN STOCK. Which it clearly isn't

You and I just gotta wait man. I too payed for Air shipping and am hoping they ship it out Thursday latest so I can have it friday.

Yeah i hope you can get it for Friday but don't forget that new years is Thursday and that they wont be shipping anything that day so your only chance in getting it by Friday is if they receive and ship on Wednesday... Please don't hate me... Just saying!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back