Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #391 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what is know about the differences between the clocking mechanisms in ST and the STX, is there enough info to speculate on whether there are any driver implications? I'm looking at this from the Linux perspective - support for the Xonar series (including STX) is present to some degree in the newest Alsa versions, but if the ST requires explicit programming of any new clocking features, it's unlikely to trickle down to the Alsa drivers for quite some time. If this is just a hardware enhancement and the clock selection code is unchanged, then it's highly likely that the STX code will port over to the ST with minimal effort.

Any guesses/speculation/insight?

No. The improved clocking is done at the lowest hardware level. What the are attempting to do with the ST clocking circuit is improve on the masterclock signal that enables the DAC/ADC more precise.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #393 of 1,781
if you wanna see the official measurements, there's the PDF here: http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/asus/soun...eport_0226.pdf

they're slightly worse than the STX: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Aud...est_Report.pdf

there's also the slight FR imbalance between the 2 channels on the ST...and not on the STX, so my card is not faulty! it gave me the same thing in RMAA

and there's some graphs for the ST at the bottom of this page : http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

it seems to concur w/ the bottom of page7 on the PDF...some funky spikes coming out of nowhere, and not to be seen on the STX..

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #395 of 1,781
look at the bottom of page 3, on the STX the FR for both channels is perfectly identical...on the ST, there's a slight level difference.

and that's how it looked in RMAA for me....same as in this test :

and it's the same on both the line-out and the HP out....I know the Claro Halo also has a slight difference between both channels like the ST, but the STX is spot-on!

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #396 of 1,781
No the STX has a slight difference also your see two different colors overlapped....what your seeing in RMAA is so slight that could be the difference in a shotty connectors.
Hmm, pretty sure when I measured it, I noticed no difference in response.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #397 of 1,781
the STX looks perfectly spot-on for me, and my ST looks identical to the ST report...w/ a very slight mismatch...whatever on the line-out or the HP out.

also, the crosstalk and SNR look better on the STX, just like the THD+N test at the bottom of page 7....but one thing that's clearly audible is the improved clock on the ST!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #398 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the STX looks perfectly spot-on for me, and my ST looks identical to the ST report...w/ a very slight mismatch...whatever on the line-out or the HP out.

also, the crosstalk and SNR look better on the STX, just like the THD+N test at the bottom of page 7....but one thing that's clearly audible is the improved clock on the ST!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi leeperry,
by all the Data Measurements the only thing what counts is the listening. I have hear units with not so good Data but they realy sound better than units with much better Datas. So please tell us something about your listening experiences
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #399 of 1,781
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #400 of 1,781
Got mine today. First impressions is good but then it´s just about always refreshing with new sound signatures. Seems to be a real party system. Disappointed of not getting more luxury. With the Elite Pro you get all kind of software and the best media player available. Here you get nothing but the core drivers and the packaging and documentation is really cheap. And not console. But surely every capacitor on the card is x2 including the PSU connector lol. So it´s okay if it continue to deliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #401 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine today. First impressions is good but then it´s just about always refreshing with new sound signatures. Seems to be a real party system. Disappointed of not getting more luxury. With the Elite Pro you get all kind of software and the best media player available. Here you get nothing but the core drivers and the packaging and documentation is really cheap. And not console. But surely every capacitor on the card is x2 including the PSU connector lol. So it´s okay if it continue to deliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know how it stax up against keces

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #402 of 1,781
Anyone who had/has a D2 got their hand on one of these yet? or even a good review that compares them?

I really need to know if the Essence is better, i've some some reviews say that they are, but these are extremely vague.

thanks

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #404 of 1,781
I know someone in this thread sent back his ST because the HP jack didn't hold plugs properly.

this is how the DIP8 sockets should look like : http://www.eal.gr/Scan48.jpg

this is how the bottom right socket looks like on my ST : http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9601/dscn1662c.jpg

were the QA guys at the factory on vacation? how can the bottom row be so rusty/oxydated
confused.gif

I will send it back today for RMA....this little "joke" is gonna cost me 20 EUR, 10 days before I get a replacement....and many ear pains because it would appear that the sound is lousy because the op-amp is oscillating(due to bad contact) and my brain doesn't like it at all.

I never had any ear pains with the STX! I should have never bought this ST card, ******* upgraditis
angry_face.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #405 of 1,781
Sockets can become tarnish for many reasons. For example, Putting opamps in after you have Touched the pins and transfered oil, dirt, sweat to the pins.
You should never touch the pins if you can help it.

Those are press made sockets...meaning they are run off by the 10's of thousands. Every now and again your going to get a bad one.

I would find a local electronics tech that can solder in some machined sockets for you.
You can get high grade sockets for very cheap. Just make sure they are machined pins, meaning when you look at the holes where the opamp pins go they are circular and not like the stock ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back