XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,119 of 3,865
OK. I just received the Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock and hooked it up to the SPDIF-out of the RedNet 3 with an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver SE Digital coaxial cable.
From the Mutec SPDIF-out, I used another Audio Sensibility Statement Silver SE Digital coaxial cable to connect to the Theta Dac. Set-up the Mutec to do Internal & Reclock and was just feeding it 48khz wav files from the RedNet.

HOLY COW!!! I'm just blown away right now and I think I'll just shut up and let @rb2013 report back with his findings.

Hey Bob! When is that big brown truck gonna drop off your big red box?

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,120 of 3,865
Are you using the F-1 with the Microrendu?

No, with a Regen on a TeraDak into a Chord Hugo.
Front end is a dedicated audioPc using 2012R2 in optimised Core mode using AO, Jcat UsB card and fully on the 4 rails of the LPS.
Ethernet input is isolated using an Acousense GISO GB.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,121 of 3,865
I received my F1 today and I am pretty happy about it. Do we need extra galvanic isolation with F1 for upgrade?  I see the discussion about the ICRON usb extender. https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-20-rg2304ge-lan This are $450? Kind of expensive for the $180 F1...

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,123 of 3,865

I was thinking - all DAC maufacturers have to do is build in a socket for the Dante brooklyn II board - like BURL has done.

Then the user can just buy a Dante board and plug and play.  For $250.  Direct AES67 to the DAC chips - no spdif in between.

If Audinate comes out with a Brooklyn III then swap them out.

How much could it cost to include one of these sockets?

Oh, you make is sound so simple! 
bigsmile_face.gif

But to answer your cost question, the Dante Brooklyn PDK with licenses and services is $10,500 to get started.  It does include a lot of support from them, and they have a good team.

Also, they have started including AES67 support for the Brooklyn II module, and while that does not immediately solve the dependency on Dante DVS (which will be fine for a while as long as they keep the s/w compatible with OS X and Windows updates--sadly no Linux support), it does at least mitigate some long term risk in that it is possible that a s/w firm (or maybe even a music player app company) will eventually write AES67-compatible virtual sound card s/w (and no, I don't mean the old ALC NetworX Windos junk) for various platforms.

Limitations still exist:
Brooklyn II is staying at 192Khz max and the modules are expensive;
The less costly, fewer channel Ultimo chipset goes only to 96Khz, making it a non-starter for any DAC I would want to produce. 

Ciao,
--Alex C.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,124 of 3,865

I thought you said you were underwhelmed with the Mutec's USB on its own and were only keeping it around to test spdif reclocking?

No not at all - it's the best DDC stand alone I have heard yet.  Now with the Uber chain and the F-1 it pales in comparison.

I rate the F-1 (plus the Startech GB LAN Iso and a host of other USB gizmos - I call the Uber chain) at 170 on my scale

The Mutec at 150

Ahead of the PUC2 Lite .

I'm keeping it to test two things - as a Word Clock to input to the REDNET 3 and a SPDIF reclocker on the REDNET 3 - these are different things - or both at the same time  if the Mutec alllows. 

In fact, I ordered a BJC BNC to BNC 1ft for the Work Clock connection - it arrived today.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,125 of 3,865
  OK. I just received the Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock and hooked it up to the SPDIF-out of the RedNet 3 with an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver SE Digital coaxial cable.
From the Mutec SPDIF-out, I used another Audio Sensibility Statement Silver SE Digital coaxial cable to connect to the Theta Dac. Set-up the Mutec to do Internal & Reclock and was just feeding it 48khz wav files from the RedNet.

HOLY COW!!! I'm just blown away right now and I think I'll just shut up and let @rb2013 report back with his findings.

Nice!  Have you tried the Mutec as an ext word clock to input to the RD3?  So as a SPDIF reclocker - success.  Have you noticed much of a change with burn in on the RD3?

Tomorrow the Big Red lands - where the hell am I gonna hide that thing?  Wifey is sure to notice such a pretty Red box with flashing lights.  And it looks expensive.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,126 of 3,865
No, with a Regen on a TeraDak into a Chord Hugo.
Front end is a dedicated audioPc using 2012R2 in optimised Core mode using AO, Jcat UsB card and fully on the 4 rails of the LPS.
Ethernet input is isolated using an Acousense GISO GB.

Sweet set-up.  Speaking of JCAT - the kind owner of JCAT just emailed me - seeing if I wanted to try the JCAT USB card for a free trial.

I was like heck yeah.

So add that $500 card to the mix:
http://jplay.eu/jcat/

Maybe he'll lend me one of his Ref LAN cables as well.  That would be interesting.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,127 of 3,865
  I received my F1 today and I am pretty happy about it. Do we need extra galvanic isolation with F1 for upgrade?  I see the discussion about the ICRON usb extender. https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-20-rg2304ge-lan This are $450? Kind of expensive for the $180 F1...

Thanks.

Yes it is  - but worth it.  Intona is another route a bit cheaper - get the industrial version

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,128 of 3,865

Oh, you make is sound so simple! 
bigsmile_face.gif

But to answer your cost question, the Dante Brooklyn PDK with licenses and services is $10,500 to get started.  It does include a lot of support from them, and they have a good team.

Also, they have started including AES67 support for the Brooklyn II module, and while that does not immediately solve the dependency on Dante DVS (which will be fine for a while as long as they keep the s/w compatible with OS X and Windows updates--sadly no Linux support), it does at least mitigate some long term risk in that it is possible that a s/w firm (or maybe even a music player app company) will eventually write AES67-compatible virtual sound card s/w (and no, I don't mean the old ALC NetworX Windos junk) for various platforms.

Limitations still exist:
Brooklyn II is staying at 192Khz max and the modules are expensive;
The less costly, fewer channel Ultimo chipset goes only to 96Khz, making it a non-starter for any DAC I would want to produce. 

Ciao,
--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Well I don;t need the 32 channel input and output on the Brooklyn II - so a Ultimo chipset improvement to 192k might just be the ticket.

Speaking of the Brooklyn II BURL is selling their this for $250 retail.  Can't be too expensive.  The PDK license is -  but I just BURL ponyed up the bucks.  Maybe Mr. BURL (cool looking dude!   Would love to meet this bloke), would entertain building a board to take the BK2 and output SPDIF or AES at 192k.  And just DC power.

Or Focusrite could do an advanced version of the $399 AM2 with spdif out and use the BK1 for 192k.  Or a striped down RD3 that does 2 channels instead of 32.
Lot's of possibilities!

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2,129 of 3,865

Yes exactly right.  Remember the Mutec does (as a USB DDC) what the ICRON/Startech does - galvanic isolation.

Thanks,
Yes, I know. Galvanic isolation, DDC with different interfaces, recklocking, DSD/DoP to PCM conversion, word clock, etc.
Real Swiss army knife in a one box.
Not all of us can have all these nice boxes in the room.
And F1 has some sort of galvanic isolation too.

Summing up (in your enviroment):
1. Mutec alone is better than F1 powered with good LPS like Teradac DC30W.
2. PPA makes a small diference in SQ (it seems F1 and Mutec make good job cleaning USB)
3. Mutec needs to see 5vdc from USB but no need for LPS.
4. Uber chain with F1 and Icron/Startech is still better than Mutec alone
It's very informative.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,130 of 3,865

Hi

Please compare Rednet 3 vs Mutec if it's not a problem.
How huge is the difference...ethernet vs very nice USB DDC

Rob please do the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back