XiangSheng DAC-05A thoughts?
Jan 6, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #61 of 64
I'd love to hear a comparison vs a Schiit DAC. I'm still considering this DAC myself, just hoping for a few more folks who may have it to post their views on it.

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #62 of 64
Just received the DA-05B a few days ago. AK4497 chips w/ upgraded r-transformer. Love the sound, a definite upgrade from my Peachtree Nova 150's internal dac. My problem is with the included driver: HU300 HIFI 2.0 which doesn't do native dsd. This unit is supposed to include a Thesycon 4.54 driver (paid version w/ native dsd). Obviously I didn't get it....anyone have any luck with getting this driver? I bought the dac through Amazon prime so I'm not sure yet where to go for better info. Anyway, thought I'd check here first.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #63 of 64
I'd love to hear a comparison vs a Schiit DAC. I'm still considering this DAC myself, just hoping for a few more folks who may have it to post their views on it.

My friend has the XiangSheng Dac-05A. We did some listening and A/B'ed it against my Schiit Modi MB. The XiangSheng sounded fuller and a bit warmer, slightly more musical perhaps. The Modi was more 'matter of fact' and cooler in presentation, perhaps more neutral, but slightly more coarse sounding.

Personal taste and synergy with other components will play a big part in determining which one might prefer. However, I will say that I think the XianSheng is great value for money and would probably hold it's own when compared to even more expensive Dacs than the Modi MB. It made me re-evaluate the Modi and prompted me to try to find something better.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #64 of 64
Quick update on my 05B. After letting it settle in and replacing the stock tube with a nice NOS, I have to say I'm very impressed. Some nuances compared to my M2Tech Young and M2Tech Power Supply combo -

1) Young is more nuanced, with more detail, air and a better 3D stage
2) XiangSheng bass is absolutely stronger and has more detail. Very impressive bass.
3) Had one issue with the XiangSheng - for whatever reason, the USB input started only outputing signal via the RCA (tube) at a very low strength. Had to reboot, give it a rest, and then it was fine. But that concerns me a bit.
4) Some instructions for the XiangSheng not as clear as they could be
5) But, overall, incredibly impressive for the price point, considering I'm comparing it against a setup that costs 6 times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back