XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #1,621 of 2,100
USB-C wooot I will literally upgrade just for that. OMG the old USB port is a pain and causes so many issues.

It looks like there's now an XD-05 Plus:
https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-plus

From the page:
Building on the success of the highly regarded Xduoo XD-05—a DAC/amp that changed the game with its versatile desktop-to-pocket portability—the Xduoo XD-05 Plus keeps old favorites while adding a host of new features. New on the XD-05 Plus are an AK4493EQ DAC and XMOS XU208 USB chipset to improve sound quality, as well as onboard USB-C ports to update connectivity. Another new feature is the lithium 5000mAH battery, which is capable of 13 hours of playback via USB, 21 hours via SPDIF, and 40 via aux in. Also upgraded is the power output: The XD-05 plus boasts an impressive 1000 mW at 32 ohms—ideal for even the most demanding headphones. Like its predecessor, the XD-05 Plus allows you to change out op amps without soldering to suit your listening preferences.

Seems like more power and USB C are the biggest changes, not sure how much the AK chip and USB chipset would do, over and above the opamps. Any thoughts?

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,622 of 2,100
It looks like there's now an XD-05 Plus:
https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-plus

From the page:
Building on the success of the highly regarded Xduoo XD-05—a DAC/amp that changed the game with its versatile desktop-to-pocket portability—the Xduoo XD-05 Plus keeps old favorites while adding a host of new features. New on the XD-05 Plus are an AK4493EQ DAC and XMOS XU208 USB chipset to improve sound quality, as well as onboard USB-C ports to update connectivity. Another new feature is the lithium 5000mAH battery, which is capable of 13 hours of playback via USB, 21 hours via SPDIF, and 40 via aux in. Also upgraded is the power output: The XD-05 plus boasts an impressive 1000 mW at 32 ohms—ideal for even the most demanding headphones. Like its predecessor, the XD-05 Plus allows you to change out op amps without soldering to suit your listening preferences.

Seems like more power and USB C are the biggest changes, not sure how much the AK chip and USB chipset would do, over and above the opamps. Any thoughts?
At that price it's much less attractive IMHO. Sound-wise the XD05 wasn't the best, it just beats everything else in terms of functionalities at the pricepoint. But with $235 you can start to look at more "proper", more powerful DAC/amp. Bluetooth DAC/amp is often $100 a piece.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,623 of 2,100
USB-C wooot I will literally upgrade just for that. OMG the old USB port is a pain and causes so many issues.
I find it perfect. Plugs directly into my USB-A OTG cables like a regular flash drive, and won't charge through it to boot in either direction.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,624 of 2,100
I find it perfect. Plugs directly into my USB-A OTG cables like a regular flash drive, and won't charge through it to boot in either direction.

Because I am always traveling, my USB broke on my unit. I had my phone and Xduoo Velcroed together but it still just got worse over time. In attempt to fix it, I made it even worse. Now I can only use it over bluetooth (with bluetooth adapter) or aux. I haven't used my amp in months because of this and miss it.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,625 of 2,100
Because I am always traveling, my USB broke on my unit. I had my phone and Xduoo Velcroed together but it still just got worse over time. In attempt to fix it, I made it even worse. Now I can only use it over bluetooth (with bluetooth adapter) or aux. I haven't used my amp in months because of this and miss it.
That sucks, although I find the BT adapter to be pretty good (and convenient). Other than the Burson upgrade, it's the best addition to the amp. Makes me wonder why they didn't add it to this "new" one. Seems like that would have been a no brainer.

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,626 of 2,100
That sucks, although I find the BT adapter to be pretty good (and convenient). Other than the Burson upgrade, it's the best addition to the amp. Makes me wonder why they didn't add it to this "new" one. Seems like that would have been a no brainer.

I do like the bluetooth adapter but I kept getting a lot of audio bugging at work (our computers don't have audio as they are server hardware). So I popped a sound card in but it didn't seem to fix the issue (it didn't). But once in a while after a weekend, I would come in to dead batteries on the bluetooth module or the bluetooth module would lock in a state of unusability. If you don't make sure to properly shut it down (and sometimes just because why not) it gets soft stuck in "powered off" mode and you cant power it on until you let the battery fully drain. Because I always swapped between my phone and work system and to other various systems, this happened more than I would like. Less so once when I powered off the unit before disconnection from anything and then pairing it to the new device.

So after that, I was just using it on my phone but got to pick up a pair of 1more bluetooth headphones for really cheap that are exceptional and were easier to use while biking. So haven't used my amp in a while. I prefer it, but convenience is king so I haven't really been using it.

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,627 of 2,100
is the burson v5i opamp swap out worth it?

I have three devices vying for the same swap

Xduoo
Zishan DSD
LittleBear B4X

don't know which swap will give me the biggest reward

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,628 of 2,100
is the burson v5i opamp swap out worth it?

I have three devices vying for the same swap

Xduoo
Zishan DSD
LittleBear B4X

don't know which swap will give me the biggest reward
Yes, it's amazingly worth it. It makes the Xduoo a whole new unit. I also swapped out the Little Bear, and while it's nice, it's not a game changer. With the XD-05, I think it is. Sound quality, soundstage, everything is seriously improved. Don't have a Zishan, so I'm not sure what it would add there.

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,629 of 2,100
Can anyone tell me if "XDuoo XD-05 Plus" needs two burson v5i single, or only one v5i double, or 2 v5i double, because, the pins that seems to have free when you quit the stock opamp seems that maybe enter 2 v5i double.
In any case, please, tell me if only fits one, why use vi5 double, with no pair, or why use Vi5 sinlge

So many thanks in advance to clarify me this

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,630 of 2,100
Can anyone tell me if "XDuoo XD-05 Plus" needs two burson v5i single, or only one v5i double, or 2 v5i double, because, the pins that seems to have free when you quit the stock opamp seems that maybe enter 2 v5i double.
In any case, please, tell me if only fits one, why use vi5 double, with no pair, or why use Vi5 sinlge

So many thanks in advance to clarify me this
I don't know, since they don't seem to have posted any detailed specs. I suspect it's no different than the standard XD-05, which requires one dual v5i. A single unit won't work.

EDIT: Judging from the pictures posted on Drop, it appears as though there might be a possibility of using a single (or perhaps two), but I'm not sure why you'd want to -- I don't know what the benefit would be. The dual is a great update, and I would highly recommend it.

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,631 of 2,100
I don't know, since they don't seem to have posted any detailed specs. I suspect it's no different than the standard XD-05, which requires one dual v5i. A single unit won't work.

EDIT: Judging from the pictures posted on Drop, it appears as though there might be a possibility of using a single (or perhaps two), but I'm not sure why you'd want to -- I don't know what the benefit would be. The dual is a great update, and I would highly recommend it.

It has been proven to support a single D in the center and I guess 2x singles on the outsides instead if you want. It comes with the same opamp as the xD stock apprently. And this person has put their v5id in it after talking to Burson.
https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-plus/talk/2502557

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,632 of 2,100
just got the xduoo xd 05plus, bought it cause im traveling for a couple of weeks and couldnt handle anymore not being able to have a nice source (... ive got a problem... just like everyone else in this forum! what is wrong with us!!?? =P ) massive question, does anyone knows if the new "boost" switch does anything? my unit doesnt seem to respond to it, already emailed the seller and xduoo; in the manual translation (cause its only in chinese) it says "it promotes thrust to signal" though! i dont get any "thrust" from it, and i dont detect any change in anything; besides that, i cannot stop recommending this amp, it powers my p1's like non other amp, sound is superb, it works wonders with my ipad pro and its really really amazing, when i get back home ill let it go for a bit stock, but i cannot wait to change the op amp... must resist, but for now, im truly impressed, for the price, i dont think you can get a dac/amp so good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back