XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,651 of 2,100
Got the burson v5id.

imaging seems better but does thing need a burn in period?? Coz the low end is kinda loose and less defined (tighter) compared to stock op amp...I wanna refurn it.

btw..I dont dont the high gain bass boost issue.it doesnt go into protect mode.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,652 of 2,100
Got the burson v5id.

imaging seems better but does thing need a burn in period?? Coz the low end is kinda loose and less defined (tighter) compared to stock op amp...I wanna refurn it.

btw..I dont dont the high gain bass boost issue.it doesnt go into protect mode.
Yes, the Bursons need some burn-in time. I'd give them at least 20 hours, but more is better.
If you warm them up not in high gain, then after 10 or so minutes, you should be able to switch to high gain.

I wonder if anyone who has the new unit can test to see if the issue still exists?

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,654 of 2,100
Yes, the Bursons need some burn-in time. I'd give them at least 20 hours, but more is better.
If you warm them up not in high gain, then after 10 or so minutes, you should be able to switch to high gain.

I wonder if anyone who has the new unit can test to see if the issue still exists?

edit: please read my next post. V5id is great and I kept it.

my bad. I meant, my unit is fine with bass boost on and high gain with burson. No problems on that end.Low end refinement on the other hand...

Imagine sub bass, low bass, mid bass and high bass are 4 people in a room, with the stock amp, all 4 mind their own business and stay in 4 corners, far from each other, with the burson, it seems like they are much closer together and mid bass and high bass are bullying the sub bass and low bass and overpowering them. If that makes sense?

This has made me appreciate the stock op amp even more lol..I put it back in and all is good again.

I bought the xduoo for 140 canadian from a clearance outlet and I paid 74cad for the burson, I dont think the performance gain(even if there is any after burn in) justifies the cost.

Clarity of texture in low end is dt770 250 ohms strength. My fav headphone and burson seems to rob it of that. And dt770 with stock amp has minty or whimsical highs..with burson its metallic.

returning.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,655 of 2,100
my bad. I meant, my unit is fine with bass boost on and high gain with burson. No problems on that end.Low end refinement on the other hand...

Imagine sub bass, low bass, mid bass and high bass are 4 people in a room, with the stock amp, all 4 mind their own business and stay in 4 corners, far from each other, with the burson, it seems like they are much closer together and mid bass and high bass are bullying the sub bass and low bass and overpowering them. If that makes sense?

This has made me appreciate the stock op amp even more lol..I put it back in and all is good again.

I bought the xduoo for 140 canadian from a clearance outlet and I paid 74cad for the burson, I dont think the performance gain(even if there is any after burn in) justifies the cost.

Clarity of texture in low end is dt770 250 ohms strength. My fav headphone and burson seems to rob it of that. And dt770 with stock amp has minty or whimsical highs..with burson its metallic.

returning.
Well, your experience is about 180 degrees from mine. While the stock is fine, the Burson expands the Soundstage, makes everything more musical and warms the sound up. Maybe it's the pairing - I use mine with Jubilees, AKGs, and IEMs both easy to drive and power hungry. I think you're describing bass bloat or something like it, and I don't get that.

If I remember (and on a quick Google), it looks like the recommended burn in is 100 hours. You might want to give them a little time before you send them back.

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,656 of 2,100
Well, your experience is about 180 degrees from mine. While the stock is fine, the Burson expands the Soundstage, makes everything more musical and warms the sound up. Maybe it's the pairing - I use mine with Jubilees, AKGs, and IEMs both easy to drive and power hungry. I think you're describing bass bloat or something like it, and I don't get that.

If I remember (and on a quick Google), it looks like the recommended burn in is 100 hours. You might want to give them a little time before you send them back.

holy smokes!..

Okay.. i take everything back i said in my earlier post.

So my source is tidal app, with MQA. I hadnt turned the exclusive mode on and for some reason it seemed to affect burson more than my stock amp. I turned the exclusive mode on..and my god...what a difference.

So with the exclusive mode on the stock opamp got louder, but with burson, all my complaints about bass bloat are gone. Why..coz now i can power my dt770s with medium gain (at really really loud levels) and bass is much..much..much more tight (no perceivable difference between burson and stock in bass definition) and bass has more body than stock... and wow..the imaging is home theater like. Dt770's have naturally immaculate imaging and burson v5i just takes imaging to the next level. Treble has also been perfected..seems less fatiguing.

WOW!...my bad burson. If anyone is on the fence about v5id..get it now..look at my previous post and this..and get it now!!!! Excellent pairing with dt770s... They lack a bit in mids and burson just flushes them out..now my favourite headphones have reached perfection..lol.

listening to ed sheeran no.6 collab now...mind blown :D

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #1,657 of 2,100
holy smokes!..

Okay.. i take everything back i said in my earlier post.

So my source is tidal app, with MQA. I hadnt turned the exclusive mode on and for some reason it seemed to affect burson more than my stock amp. I turned the exclusive mode on..and my god...what a difference.

So with the exclusive mode on the stock opamp got louder, but with burson, all my complaints about bass bloat are gone. Why..coz now i can power my dt770s with medium gain (at really really loud levels) and bass is much..much..much more tight (no perceivable difference between burson and stock in bass definition) and bass has more body than stock... and wow..the imaging is home theater like. Dt770's have naturally immaculate imaging and burson v5i just takes imaging to the next level. Treble has also been perfected..seems less fatiguing.

WOW!...my bad burson. If anyone is on the fence about v5id..get it now..look at my previous post and this..and get it now!!!! Excellent pairing with dt770s... They lack a bit in mids and burson just flushes them out..now my favourite headphones have reached perfection..lol.

listening to ed sheeran no.6 collab now...mind blown :D
And….boom! Now you hear the magic. :o2smile:

It really is a quite remarkable combo for a relatively small price. If you don't already have it, the BT adapter is really nice, as well. I really hope the rumors about a balanced version are true. I have a spare Burson that would love a home.

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,658 of 2,100
I just bought a xd05 plus and while trying to connect it to my android phone discovered that I can't use any generic type c to type c cable to hook them up.

The only cable that worked was the short interconnect included with the amp.

Does anyone know if they used a proprietary cable ? Or if there are cables I can buy? I need a longer cable because the sheer size of the amp doesn't make it ergonomic to use the short interconnect cable.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,659 of 2,100
I just bought a xd05 plus and while trying to connect it to my android phone discovered that I can't use any generic type c to type c cable to hook them up.

Does anyone know if they used a proprietary cable ? Or if there are cables I can buy? I need a longer cable because the sheer size of the amp doesn't make it ergonomic to use the short interconnect cable.

I use a usb c to regular usb with a usb ro usb c connector for the iPad Pro, funnily, any usb c to usb c (except for the bundle) seems to not work with it

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,660 of 2,100

Should be ok, otherwise ur cable is works for power only i.s.o power and data.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,663 of 2,100

Try some known good cable that complies with the USB-C specifications. AmazonBasics cables are known to be compliant, for example. When you connect to the phone, swipe down and choose the appropriate option. Sometimes it defaults to charging only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back