XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
May 19, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,606 of 2,100
xduoo-05 or audiolab Dac mini?
someone with experience who can help.

The benefits of the Audio Labs is that there is Bluetooth built in and has more input / output options more suitable for desktop use seeing that it is wider, Not saying you can't do the same with the XD-05 but its not as straight forward. The XD-05 from a pure power standpoint is very impressive and with the BT module is smaller + the OPAMP upgradability with the V5 or any other amp chips makes it extremely flexible.

May 19, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #1,607 of 2,100
to use xduoo-05 only as desktop DAC,
xduoo-05 or topping d50? someone can help.

As mentioned above the XD-05 can definitely be used as a desktop DAC/AMP but if you are looking for purely a DAC I would look elsewhere.

May 19, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,608 of 2,100
I'm looking for a portable DAC-amp mostly for my Audioquest NOs. May as well use it with my LCD 2Cs when not at home. The amp rolling option as well as the bluetooth module seems exciting. When at work I'm listening to Spotify/Tidal 99% of the time. I've heard that some people tend to have interference problems when connected to a mobile device. Since I plan to use it with my S8+ for streaming music over 4G mostly I'm concerned about the cellular interference. Should I look somewhere else?

I own both the XD-05 (recieved a few days ago) and the Creative SXFI amp. The SXFI amp sounds noticeably better to me (cleaner, more detailed, and more musical). It is also cheaper, much smaller (that is an understatement) and much more convenient to take with you, and has more features (i.e. a fully customizable equalizer and optional 3D audio for games and movies). On the downside, it does use your phone's (or other device) battery and has slightly less power (but it's close). Unless someone can convince me changing the op amp will make a big difference in the XD-05, it is going back to Amazon so my advice is take a good look at the SXFI amp to see if it fits your needs.

As for the cellular interference from your phone, that really depends on your phone. I don't get it from my Motorola X4. Having said that, I don't believe there is any circuitry in the XD-05 to clean noise like that up.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,609 of 2,100
I own both the XD-05 (recieved a few days ago) and the Creative SXFI amp. The SXFI amp sounds noticeably better to me (cleaner, more detailed, and more musical). It is also cheaper, much smaller (that is an understatement) and much more convenient to take with you, and has more features (i.e. a fully customizable equalizer and optional 3D audio for games and movies). On the downside, it does use your phone's (or other device) battery and has slightly less power (but it's close). Unless someone can convince me changing the op amp will make a big difference in the XD-05, it is going back to Amazon so my advice is take a good look at the SXFI amp to see if it fits your needs.

As for the cellular interference from your phone, that really depends on your phone. I don't get it from my Motorola X4. Having said that, I don't believe there is any circuitry in the XD-05 to clean noise like that up.
If you switch out the opamp for a Burson, it's like night and day. It went toe to toe with a Fiio Q5 i had on loan, and I think it had more musical sound. But if you're looking for cheaper and smaller, it's not going to win. I have EQ on my devices, and I'd rather use them for that function.

If you want smaller, you could try the Xduoo XP-2 it has many of the same functions and is less than half the size, with Bluetooth onboard. I think the sound quality is very good, although not quite up to the level of the upgraded XD-05

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,611 of 2,100
I am on the market for a new portable DAC/AMP for $200, currently using a Creative E5 which sounds good to me and drives my HE-400i without problems. One issue I have with the E5 is the hissing using IEMs, even with my Etys ERS4 which are not super sensitive.

I have narrow it down to:

Xduoo XD-05
Topping NX4 DSD
ifi Nano Black Label

If you have any suggestions, it will be much appreciated. I am planning to use it as desktop unit 90% of the time, but I like the flexibility to take it out. Headphones are HD600, HE400i, the IEMs like the Etymotics.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,612 of 2,100
XD-05 with the Burson V5i is a lovely match for the 400i's - but! Since buying the Fiio M11 (DAP, not DAC/AMP although it does have that ability) and a balanced cable, my XD-05 has sat unused. I have never heard the 400i's sound so sweet as from that balanced output.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,613 of 2,100
I rather have a portable DAC/AMP as i listen only to Spotify (I can't hear a difference vs FLAC/WMA Lossless). I though about an android based dap, but to be honest my phone is going to be better always and I keep changing it every two years so it doesn't get outdated.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,615 of 2,100
As mentioned above the XD-05 can definitely be used as a desktop DAC/AMP but if you are looking for purely a DAC I would look elsewhere.
It's great as a portable desktop DAC, hahaha!

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #1,616 of 2,100
Oh sweet, so better sound with upgrading the BUF634's PSU decoupling?
It's modding time! I don't have good extra electrolytics, but I know I can count on MKP1839 caps to do the job really well anyway, ha

A lot of my favorite DACs use AKM chip, from the xDuoo to the Aune S16 and the m9xx... But some I don't really like, including the Modi 2, the Audioengine D1 and the Jotunheim. The Jotunheim is actually a very good amp, but the original DAC chip was surely disappointing. That said I strongly recommend you trying out the MB version, or at least get a Modi MB to go with it.
Those "Multibit" DACs are no longer AKM DACs, though.

Well the O2's design doesn't really support op-amp rolling actually, it was nWavguy's intention to reduce the impact of op-amp rolling. What I liked about the O2 was that it really keeps the same sound sig from the DAC and the headphones, not adding any colors - which I feel is not possible on cheap amps and also aligns with your opinion that the O2 isn't quite "musical"...
He "failed"
The O2 in practice is a very worthwhile opamp test bed. Great way to hear how ugly and colored those ancient NJM opamps sound versus modern stuff like ADA4610, AD8510, and ADA4075.

"not adding any colors"
That's an exaggerated way to put it. O2 does have a sound of its own.

Have both and can confirm this.

The USB DAC on the XDuoo is one thing holding it back, and it's worth listening to from a dedicated desktop DAC if you're using it as a desktop amp. I noticed popping in a few instances with the onboard. It also enjoys shutting off and on constantly with loud transistor clicks each time, and it's quite annoying. For a portable DAC I can't complain though. I don't know about the optical DAC--which might be better. With an external DAC though, I found the amp section capable of higher resolution than before, and while it is a little bit on the bright side for my taste, it is close enough to the line run my Edition X (warm headphones seem to pair well). I'm actually curious about further DAC scaling at this point.

There is a quality to the presentation that I'm not sure how to describe. Holographic might be the word. I was listening to Beck's "Midnite Vultures" the other day and just got lost in it. It's not perfect. There are albums here and there that are inexplicably harsh or hazy. For the price, I can't knock it though.
I wonder if my XD-05 is a good one now? I find that the internal amp is the bottleneck, not the DAC. Perfect excuse to bust out my awesome Meier-Corda Stepdance amp, haha!
The Xduoo DAC sounds rather big for a portable DAC, the separation is just impressive versus the plethora of compact DACs I've tried over the years. Not as natural-sounding as my iBasso D7 and FiiO E18, though significantly higher-fi than the FiiO otherwise.

Going to install an OPA1692 because of it's uber low current draw as soon as my lazy@ss solders another one onto an adapter. I gave that opamp a go in my modified O2 and love it. If I end up disliking how the bass boost sounds with 1692, I'll give AD8512 a shot instead, another really great opamp that I'm fond of. Then if not, perhaps ADA4075 as I've a spare now that it's no longer in my O2.
I lost interest in the V5i, reading how it triggers the internal protection circuits and causes odd behaviors and another guy in the opamp thread saying how it can cook certain chips ahead of it in circuit paths because of its huge output drive. Weird thing I'd rather not stick in my gear, basically. I care more for the DAC anyway.
Also, very overpriced for what it is, hahaha

Shoot, adding caps on those buffers won't be so easy if I want to be able to close the case.

I can't find the rest of my opamps right now, but ADA4001 works well enough. It doesn't have the tightest sound, but it is the most transparent and neutral-sounding opamp in my arsenal. The bass boost isn't as nice with it as with the stock opamp, but it is close enough. 8512 is a no go, the bass boost sounds poor with it.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,617 of 2,100
It looks like there's now an XD-05 Plus:
https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-plus

From the page:
Building on the success of the highly regarded Xduoo XD-05—a DAC/amp that changed the game with its versatile desktop-to-pocket portability—the Xduoo XD-05 Plus keeps old favorites while adding a host of new features. New on the XD-05 Plus are an AK4493EQ DAC and XMOS XU208 USB chipset to improve sound quality, as well as onboard USB-C ports to update connectivity. Another new feature is the lithium 5000mAH battery, which is capable of 13 hours of playback via USB, 21 hours via SPDIF, and 40 via aux in. Also upgraded is the power output: The XD-05 plus boasts an impressive 1000 mW at 32 ohms—ideal for even the most demanding headphones. Like its predecessor, the XD-05 Plus allows you to change out op amps without soldering to suit your listening preferences.

Seems like more power and USB C are the biggest changes, not sure how much the AK chip and USB chipset would do, over and above the opamps. Any thoughts?

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,618 of 2,100
New version already?
I've only had mine for a little over a month =\

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,620 of 2,100
So this new version is already available on TaoBao. That battery bump is amazing, the switch USB C is very welcome and I'm delighted they have chosen to stick with swappable amps - recognising aspects of their product which have proved to be popular with users, good job Xduoo!!!

About the DAC - this is the same one used in the M11 (which I have, and since purchase my XD05 has been retired). I obviously can't comment on Xduoo's implementation on the 05 plus, but from the M11 the sound sig (to my ears) is detailed, spacious, very slightly warm (but slightly, a hair north of neutral), no sign of harshness. Natural/neutral but not at the expense of musicality. How much this depends on the M11 amp stage, I don't know. We'll have to wait for first impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back