XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,096 of 2,100
There have been a couple of us that have had some issues with the V5i cutting off, either with using high gain, or combination of bass boost plus high gain. I sent my V5i back and got a replacement that had the same issue. In talking with the people at Burson, they identified that the issue might be with the capacitors inside the Xd-05 and the solution might be to change them to better caps as the problem is most likely irregular voltage. I might do that at some point in the future with the 4 10uF 50V caps that surround the opamp, and maybe the 2 22uF 16v caps that are by the battery.

I don't know if anyone is doing this at the moment but I'm willing to try. I know little about capacitors but if someone could tell me what to upgrade those caps with I might give it a go as I do know how to solder. If it's a bad idea please tell.

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,097 of 2,100
the capacitors around the audio output stage are already very good caps :
10uF Rubycon YXF low ESR for the opa1612
330uF Rubycon ZLH very low ESR and 10uF YXF for the 2 BUF634
All that are among the best available components
So I guess the V5i issue is not the capacitors

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #1,098 of 2,100
Hi I just got my xd-05 2 days ago, and I'm already having problems. I'm hoping someone can help, because while it worked, it was amazing.
I used it last night on my Android, and it sounded normal. I went to plug it in this morning to my pc (windows 7), and it wouldn't connect. I had been using it yesterday on my pc with no problems. I tried to reinstall the drivers using the package from the website, but it still tells me there is the device is not recognized, and there is a malfunction with the device

It will still work with Android, but I was hearing a little click, skip, tick, while it was playing.

Anyway, I purchased another cable and I am hoping it will work, but if it doesn't, I really don't want to have to send it back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose or fix the problem? Or is it just a crap unit? If you need more info, I'd be glad to provide it. Thanks

UPDATE : I was able to resolve the usb to pc connection issue. It seems it was a defective cable, so I'm happy about that.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,099 of 2,100
I an using my new xduoo xd-05 with my Samsung s7. Can anyone tell me why the display being on would cause a clicking /popping noise in the audio through my DAC? It happens while streaming from google play (I also tried Spotify) , or with downloaded content from google play. It will click or pop in kind of a regular pattern. As soon as I lock the phone with the power button, it goes away! If I wake the screen, it comes back. I don't understand why the screen would have anything to do with the function of the usb output to a DAC? What other function wakes up when the screen is on?

I tried both my wifes and my s7 with the same result. I also tried two otg cables. If I use USB Audio Player Pro with a local file file it doesn't seem to do it. If I connect and stream from my laptop, it is fine.

I've only had this amp/DAC for a few days and it sounds phenomenal otherwise. I am assuming it is a Samsung issue, since it works fine via pc, but maybe there is something else I can try with the xduoo?

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,100 of 2,100
Just curious if any knows, but does the Xduoo xd05 have the same sound signature as their daps? I have the Xduoo X10, and for the most part I enjoy it, has a very good sound.

May 11, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #1,102 of 2,100
I am not sure if someone asked this question here before, if yes please direct me to that. I got my XDuoo XD-05 today from Massdrop and I was trying to play DSD file using Audirvana Plus 3. The DAC spec says it support Native DSD but looks like the DAC only works if I use DOP (Convert to PCM) or am I doing something wrong?

In the normal mode with DSD automatic detection - DSD 64, 128, 256 is greyed out.
Auto Detect Native DSD
9941766_thumb.png

Initial dCS method
9941767_thumb.png

1. USB/SPDIF: 20Hz~20KHz (±0.5dB)
  2. Sampling rate support: USB
  3. PCM:16-32BIT/44.1-384KHZ
  4. DSD: DOP/NATIVE mode, DSD64-256 (1bit/2.8M-11.2M)
  5. DXD:BIT/352.8-384KHZ 24-32
I assume native - means the DAC should be understanding the player DSD out without transforming to PCM, is my understanding wrong?

There is an option on Audirvana Plus to use Initial dCS method and it is detecting DSD 64 and 128 but the DSD 256 - nope.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,104 of 2,100
I am not sure if someone asked this question here before, if yes please direct me to that. I got my XDuoo XD-05 today from Massdrop and I was trying to play DSD file using Audirvana Plus 3. The DAC spec says it support Native DSD but looks like the DAC only works if I use DOP (Convert to PCM) or am I doing something wrong?

In the normal mode with DSD automatic detection - DSD 64, 128, 256 is greyed out.
Auto Detect Native DSD
9941766_thumb.png

Initial dCS method
9941767_thumb.png

1. USB/SPDIF: 20Hz~20KHz (±0.5dB)
  2. Sampling rate support: USB
  3. PCM:16-32BIT/44.1-384KHZ
  4. DSD: DOP/NATIVE mode, DSD64-256 (1bit/2.8M-11.2M)
  5. DXD:BIT/352.8-384KHZ 24-32
I assume native - means the DAC should be understanding the player DSD out without transforming to PCM, is my understanding wrong?

There is an option on Audirvana Plus to use Initial dCS method and it is detecting DSD 64 and 128 but the DSD 256 - nope.

Any suggestions or help?

May 18, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,108 of 2,100
Hi all ... I'm considering buying an XD-05. You can get them on new on eBay for $150, from USA, shipping included. But it's from non-authorized 'dealer' and has no warranty. With your experience, is it worth it, or pay more and have a warranty. I'm trying to remember the last time electronics broke down on me :) Thanks !! fred

May 19, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,110 of 2,100
Hi all ... I'm considering buying an XD-05. You can get them on new on eBay for $150, from USA, shipping included. But it's from non-authorized 'dealer' and has no warranty. With your experience, is it worth it, or pay more and have a warranty. I'm trying to remember the last time electronics broke down on me :) Thanks !! fred
You can look at it this way: If you did have a warranty, you would have to pay to have it shipped back to China, this may be more be more expensive than you think. If the USA seller has a good return policy, let's say 30 days, then might see if you have any issues that would warrant a return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back