XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
May 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,111 of 2,099
eobet, I got the XD-05 last week and downloaded the driver from the manufacturer website (I didn't use the CD that came with it). I have Windows 10. The folder with all the driver and instructions was "XMOS-USB-Drive-V3.0.0." After rebooting, my computer recognized the XD-05, and when you click on the red T it should show the XD-05 as a USB audio device.

Not sure why the model doesn't match the product; maybe Xduoo is using another company's USB driver?

Installation went fine, except for the ASIOProxy install...... the installer would not run. I downloaded a more recent ASIO component from the Foobar2000 components page. After following the instructions that came with the XD-05 driver (other than installing ASIO Support 2.1.2 in lieu of ASIOProxy), I could play DSD as well.

I hope this helps!

Where did you find the driver? I can't seem to find it anywhere and I'm having problems making my XD-05 work...

May 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,114 of 2,099
finally got myself a burson v5i, better soundstage, cleaner sound

however when i tried to use it with high gain, after a few seconds the sound went dead, if i use low n mid gain theres no issue

no problem with the original opamp on high gain

anyone having this issue?

May 25, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,115 of 2,099
finally got myself a burson v5i, better soundstage, cleaner sound

however when i tried to use it with high gain, after a few seconds the sound went dead, if i use low n mid gain theres no issue

no problem with the original opamp on high gain

anyone having this issue?

It's probably your v5i can't operate at the higher voltage. I heard several others had the same problem. However, mine works fine. I got mine last year.

May 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,117 of 2,099
I an using my new xduoo xd-05 with my Samsung s7. Can anyone tell me why the display being on would cause a clicking /popping noise in the audio through my DAC? It happens while streaming from google play (I also tried Spotify) , or with downloaded content from google play. It will click or pop in kind of a regular pattern. As soon as I lock the phone with the power button, it goes away! If I wake the screen, it comes back. I don't understand why the screen would have anything to do with the function of the usb output to a DAC? What other function wakes up when the screen is on?

I tried both my wifes and my s7 with the same result. I also tried two otg cables. If I use USB Audio Player Pro with a local file file it doesn't seem to do it. If I connect and stream from my laptop, it is fine.

I've only had this amp/DAC for a few days and it sounds phenomenal otherwise. I am assuming it is a Samsung issue, since it works fine via pc, but maybe there is something else I can try with the xduoo?
I have the similar issue with my phone. I suspect it is because usb audio is competing resources with other services on the phone. When playing through USB Audio Player Pro, the Android's built in SRC is skipped, which saves quite a bit CPU. Playing local file is also easier on resource comparing to network streaming. In my own case, I can play local file with SRC on, or streaming with SRC off, but not both, otherwise, I get the exact same symptom you are talking about. Too bad, there is not an option that allows user to turn off SRC globally. Hopefully Google will add it in future Android releases.

May 27, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,118 of 2,099
Ok, just curious, is USB the only way to get a DSD signal into the XD-05? Can coax or optical pass dsd64 or higher?

May 31, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,120 of 2,099
Review Burson Audio

Supreme Sound

A few weeks ago i’ve been contacted by Charles from Burson Audio in which he was asking me to review their new V5i in exchange of my honest review. I was happy for the opportunity and i gladly accepted. After 10 days i received a small parcel in which was a small plastic case containing one v5i.

4imZSG9.jpg

For those of you familiar with op-amps in general, here it is a pleasant surprise, packed in a custom gold plated dip 8 package in a taller and bigger aluminium case with on top the ‘Supreme Sound (SS)’ logo.

ihtgRyn.jpg

hI8npvS.jpg

They look very good and they leave a perception of high quality and durability in time. Compared to others op-amps out there on the market they’re quite expensive. Now the question is besides the look and the build is it worth to spend around $40 + freight for one of this ? Let’s find out....

I have a few toys at home in which i could try to swap this op-amp the first one is the famous xDuoo xd-05, Objective 2, Asus Xonar Essence One. Unfortunately for me i received just 1 pcs so i start with the only option available the Xd-05.

The first negative note is the gain switch which stops to work properly. The second note is that this op-amp inside the xDuoo design doesn’t sit (for those familiar with the NwAvGuy articles) comfy (good for us) which make the sound presentation different. Is this an upgrade or a downgrade or none of those I will let you decide.

During my intensive test (for which my unit gave up and decided to quickly reach the cemetery of audio electronics, peace to you’re soul dearie)* i could notice quite a few differences in sound presentation between the stock op-amp and the V5i.

* i would like to precise the fact that my unit is actually in RMA in china and i’m quite certain the the v5i is not involved in any way in the malfunction of my unit, which gave up on me too soon due the a defective QC

For the comparison i’ve been using my HD600, DT 990, AT m40x. The HD 600 are my favourite for any kind of comparison due to the fact that are flat headphones. The first thing that i noticed was a darker background and i might say that i like this kind of sound. The bass is a bit more punchy which make my HD600 more funny and engaging to my ears than before. They say about the HD 600 that are headphones which need to be tubed, because tubes does things, isn’t it ? Well i will say that this V5i does a couple of things too.

I put together my fiio X1 + Xd05 and the HD 600, and the results was a warm dark background with a powerful bass, a combination good for bass heads.

The voices are clear and a bit more engaging to my ears than before. The highs are clean and crisp. Voices like Michael Jackson in ‘Speechless’ or Mariah Carey in 'MusicBox' or Whitney Houston in her 'Best of' they shine like the stars that they are and always be.

The soundstage is always consistent in the 600 the imaging is always good in the same consistent way.

Personally i’m happy with the different presentation of my music with this op-amp and i feel is worth the extra amount of money to swap the op-amp inside the XD-05. To end I will like to show my gratitude, therefore, thank you Charles and the Burson Audio family for giving me this beautiful opportunity to deeply test you’re little monster (V5i) as usual Burson Audio does his best to never disappoint.

p.s. This is the last note, Charles gave me confirmation about the fact that this op-amp are 100% Australian Made which in my opinion this add some extra value to this op-amp, Thanks Charles !

Best, grig

Pros - build quality, warm sound, punchy bass, clear voices
Cons - a bit too big compared to regular op-amps, may not suit all the applications

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,121 of 2,099
hi guys,

i'm eyeing the xd-05. i'd use it as a usb dac with my phone (meizu pro 6), and it would drive either a pair of headphones (nad hp50, goldring dr150) or some iem's (currently my daily driver is a fostex te02n, and i'm looking for an upgrade). i started to read the whole thread, i'm on page 10, and have some questions which might have been answered, so if it's redundant, feel free to ignore my post.
- i read that the knob is too sensitive for low sensitivity iem's. is it the case with headphones, too?
- are there any issues with the xd-05 used as a usb dac with android? my phone works with my desktop dac (denon da300) perfectly.
- i never tested mid-range daps, so it might be obvious for some experienced guys. but how does the xd-05 compare to daps like the x5 iii, cayin i5, pioneer xdp-100r?
- i listen music from either tidal or my nas via dlna, and i'd like to boost my phone's sq. i don't care about bluetooth. on paper, xd-05 has all the features i need. are there considerably better sub-300€ options than the xd-05?

any feedback is much appreciated. thanks!

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,122 of 2,099
- i read that the knob is too sensitive for low sensitivity iem's. is it the case with headphones, too?
In my case, I've got imbalanced left and right channels when volume is low. Unfortunately my PM-3 is sensitive and low impedance, which prevents me from turning volume up. I use a 75 ohm 6.3mm to 3.5mm impedance adapter to solve this issue. It works perfectly.

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #1,124 of 2,099
If they are Australian made why are they shipped from China?.. Mine was shipped from China.
Charles says is because they have two major warehouse one in China and one in USA all the shipments are from one of those, mostly from the Chinese one, btw i've got my sample shipped from China too...

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,125 of 2,099
Charles says is because they have two major warehouse one in China and one in USA all the shipments are from one of those, mostly from the Chinese one, btw i've got my sample shipped from China too...
Well, I am in Canada. It would be better by all means to ship from the USA to me.
And, made in Australia but the warehouses are in China and USA. Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back