XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,126 of 2,099
hi guys,

i'm eyeing the xd-05. i'd use it as a usb dac with my phone (meizu pro 6), and it would drive either a pair of headphones (nad hp50, goldring dr150) or some iem's (currently my daily driver is a fostex te02n, and i'm looking for an upgrade). i started to read the whole thread, i'm on page 10, and have some questions which might have been answered, so if it's redundant, feel free to ignore my post.
- i read that the knob is too sensitive for low sensitivity iem's. is it the case with headphones, too?
- are there any issues with the xd-05 used as a usb dac with android? my phone works with my desktop dac (denon da300) perfectly.
- i never tested mid-range daps, so it might be obvious for some experienced guys. but how does the xd-05 compare to daps like the x5 iii, cayin i5, pioneer xdp-100r?
- i listen music from either tidal or my nas via dlna, and i'd like to boost my phone's sq. i don't care about bluetooth. on paper, xd-05 has all the features i need. are there considerably better sub-300€ options than the xd-05?

any feedback is much appreciated. thanks!

Hey man, noticed no one replied you regarding using it with an android phone.

I hooked it up to my Nexus 6p awhile back by getting a usbA-type C converter, worked well, phone recognised it immediately. The only issue is for my unit (not too sure if others have the same problem), the USB port is pretty sensitive, any slight motions will cause it to disconnect, hence why I stopped using it as a portable setup.

I tested it with a pair of HD600's, Grado's etc. It is sensitive but still not too bad, an option would be to lower the output volume on your desktop/laptop when configuring it using their drivers, so you get to dial in more.

Can't help you out on the rest, all the best.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,127 of 2,099
Hey man, noticed no one replied you regarding using it with an android phone.

I hooked it up to my Nexus 6p awhile back by getting a usbA-type C converter, worked well, phone recognised it immediately. The only issue is for my unit (not too sure if others have the same problem), the USB port is pretty sensitive, any slight motions will cause it to disconnect, hence why I stopped using it as a portable setup.

I tested it with a pair of HD600's, Grado's etc. It is sensitive but still not too bad, an option would be to lower the output volume on your desktop/laptop when configuring it using their drivers, so you get to dial in more.

Can't help you out on the rest, all the best.
thanks for the reply! could anyone else confirm that the usb port is so sensitive? i'd primarily use it as a portable amp if i were to buy one. thanks!

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,128 of 2,099
thanks for the reply! could anyone else confirm that the usb port is so sensitive? i'd primarily use it as a portable amp if i were to buy one. thanks!
No, mine is not sensitive at all. I can wiggle the cable without interruptions.

What you actually need is called a "USB-C host cable". Sometimes "OTG" is added to the title but it's redundant as the USB-C spec doesn't have/define OTG at all. Google sells such a cable: https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_adapter or Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook-OnePlus-Devices/dp/B00ZWN64RS or search eBay for "USB-C host".

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,129 of 2,099
Well, I am in Canada. It would be better by all means to ship from the USA to me.
And, made in Australia but the warehouses are in China and USA. Hmm...
Well i'm just a messenger, this is the information that i get, for good or worse, i'm not a pretender of the absolute true, are u ?

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #1,132 of 2,099
Does it work under win10 creator edition?

If its the same as normal windows10 then yes, am not too sure what's the difference so I can't help you there. (Don't even know whether I may have updated it myself, lol).

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,134 of 2,099
I just want to share that I got my xduoo xd 05 last month from ebay. Swapped to burson v5i opamp weeks after. Without bass boost and in High gain, it all works fine so I thought thats it! Alright! But when I turned ON the bass boost, seconds later the sound starts to crack and becomes distorted. I guess this is the same experience from those who have earlier changed their opamp but anyway I dont need High gain for my headphones so its alright.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,135 of 2,099
So.. My XD-05 died suddenly, just stopped playing music, even though everything else works. Thought it might be the Burson V5i at first but switch back to the (mostly unused) stock OPA1612 didn't help.

Friends who are good with electronics reckon that the output relay had given up the ghost (along with some other small components) as I don't hear that 'click' before the music kicks in anymore.

It's been only 10 months.. :cry::cry:

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,136 of 2,099
Hey guys, has anyone used the XD05's AUX out? Trying to figure out if i can use it as a DAC only and bypass the pre-amp/op-amp.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,137 of 2,099
Hey guys, has anyone used the XD05's AUX out? Trying to figure out if i can use it as a DAC only and bypass the pre-amp/op-amp.

Oh yes. The aux out does by-pass the solid state amp. I'm use the aux when I'm station at my desktop, linking it out to a tube amp and cans.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,138 of 2,099
Oh yes. The aux out does by-pass the solid state amp. I'm use the aux when I'm station at my desktop, linking it out to a tube amp and cans.

Thanks bud, I just bought a Valhalla 2, needa hook it up to the DAC. Is there anything you need to change settings wise to access it? Currently using USB in. Planning to use USB in > Aux Out > Valhalla > Cans.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,140 of 2,099
No settings. Just plug and play. The only thing that may be confusing is that aux in and aux out at the same port (at the back).

Aite man, thanks bud! Will find out later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back