XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 9, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,066 of 2,100
Thanks, bizarrely the unit is now operating fine off optical, line in, and usb via my mobile phone, but, the laptop and the xduoo aren't working together. They seem to recognise each other, but there is no output. Will tear my hair out a bit more later tonight trying to sort it. On the positive side, the Burson does seem a really nice upgrade already. Female vocals, which always seemed a touch fatiguing before, are lovely.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,067 of 2,100
Thanks, bizarrely the unit is now operating fine off optical, line in, and usb via my mobile phone, but, the laptop and the xduoo aren't working together. They seem to recognise each other, but there is no output. Will tear my hair out a bit more later tonight trying to sort it. On the positive side, the Burson does seem a really nice upgrade already. Female vocals, which always seemed a touch fatiguing before, are lovely.

Could it be a software/driver problem since it only has problems with your laptop? 

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,068 of 2,100
Can someone please confirm the orientation of the Burson chip in this unit. I've just fitted it, thought i had it correct, but there is no sound. I reversed the chip and , horror, still no sound. It starts okay with the chip in both positions but is dead both ways .

If something's wrong with the orientation or opamp, there will be "PROTECT" message showing on the screen.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,069 of 2,100

Are you using Windows 10?

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,070 of 2,100
This is just getting crazier by the minute. mediamonkey won't output any sound but groove music will, except there is a faint popping or squelching sound every few seconds. It's also doing it on the usb input from the phone. Worried I've damaged the usb input in struggling to get the case back together, it didn't reassemble easily and a rubber strip with three dots fell out of the case after i removed the usb and i had no idea how it was supposed to go back. ONLY optical and line in work properly, if it comes to it I'll have to get a usb to optical converter,any suggestions for a good one?

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,071 of 2,100
Do you have an all black version? Might be worth it for you to scrape off the paint for the ground points to make contact with the end plates (if it's black) and the black chassis.

I don't recall the the post number but some called this the paint mod. I used sand paper to scrape off a bit of the black finish inside.

Regarding the rubber grommets, place the chassis with the hole side facing the ground. Then slide in the grommets strip till it fills in the three holes. Keep the chassis on its 3-holes side down. Then slide in the pcb. You need patience.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,072 of 2,100
Do you have an all black version? Might be worth it for you to scrape off the paint for the ground points to make contact with the end plates (if it's black) and the black chassis.

I don't recall the the post number but some called this the paint mod. I used sand paper to scrape off a bit of the black finish inside.

Regarding the rubber grommets, place the chassis with the hole side facing the ground. Then slide in the grommets strip till it fills in the three holes. Keep the chassis on its 3-holes side down. Then slide in the pcb. You need patience.

Uhh... how do I scrape off the paint? Sharp edges?

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,075 of 2,100
Yes, windows 10. I'll put the driver on an older vista laptop today and see what happens.

I'm using windows 10 as well, did you install the driver via their website or CD? I found out that the website worked for me.

EDIT: http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/En/DownList.Asp link to download firmware, just in case you haven't. It's USB-drive-v3.0 for me.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,077 of 2,100
Okay, problem seems to be solved. the xduoo seems sensitive to the media player being used and doesn't work properly with either mediamonkey or groove music. Has been running for some time now on foobar2000 with zero glitches, fingers crossed it stays that way. What is still utterly bizarre is that this problem only became objectionable after the Burson chip went in. I've used mediamonkey for the last few months with this unit without a significant ptoblem, totally weird.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #1,078 of 2,100

Ok so I've ordered the burson V5i as well. I read it increases the volume a bit compared to the stock op amp so perhaps medium gain would get loud enough for my t40rp mk3s and hopefully without distortion. Curious to see if things actually sound better although I think the unit in stock configuration already sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back