XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jun 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #5,146 of 5,194
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,148 of 5,194
Interesting, if i can find the reference i will try this, in French "mort pour mort autant essayer".
EDIT: I found some OLED here but i don't know wich one can work, perhaps the 1.3" white one will be nice.

I found some Oled here but i don't know wich one can work.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/0-91...bleu-Module-d-affichage-OLED/32978451473.html

Have you got an idea about this ?
Thank you very much.

I’m not sure. Is 1.3” the size of the stock screen? It would have to be the same size to work, or else the screen won’t display properly.

The stock and Rockbox firmware assumes a certain size. Think of a screen like a grid of rows and columns. To display the word “hello”, it has to turn on the pixels at certain locations. The firmware knows which pixels to light up because it knows the exact screen size, and therefore which addresses in the grid to turn on.

If you install a screen that is a different size, the grid will be different. So the word “hello” will look like a garbled mess on a screen of a different size.

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #5,149 of 5,194
My X3 has been stuck on rockbox loading for quite sometimes...

After managed to find the XP computer, I flash it back to original Xduoo image with the intention to save it....
Then I took a chance to upgrade it to X3-VTX5 version... and whola.... I now notice that now all my 16 bits/44.1KHz files are now recognized by the player as 24 bits/192KHz...

I think XVortex manage to solve the long original X3 pitch issue with 44.1KHz sampling rate, simply by upsample the file into 192KHz on the fly and padding the 16bits to become 24bits...

So big, big thanks XVortex... I could run X3 in as close to its native...

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,150 of 5,194
My X3 has been stuck on rockbox loading for quite sometimes...

After managed to find the XP computer, I flash it back to original Xduoo image with the intention to save it....
Then I took a chance to upgrade it to X3-VTX5 version... and whola.... I now notice that now all my 16 bits/44.1KHz files are now recognized by the player as 24 bits/192KHz...

I think XVortex manage to solve the long original X3 pitch issue with 44.1KHz sampling rate, simply by upsample the file into 192KHz on the fly and padding the 16bits to become 24bits...

So big, big thanks XVortex... I could run X3 in as close to its native...

What is the X3-VTX5 version? Is it a new update? Is it a stock firmware, or Rockbox?

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #5,152 of 5,194
Aug 12, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #5,153 of 5,194

yeap... this one...

And Slater you must be forgotten about it... you replied Vortex post right after he posted it... :)e

Ah, I see. I have the latest version in my X3 then. I got confused when I saw it referred to as VTX5. It’s the 1st time I’ve ever seen it be referred to as that.

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #5,154 of 5,194
Vortex posted two firmwares.. One named as 1.1new and the other is vtx5. I installed the vtx5. This one give me the 16bits/44.1KHz files I played appear as 24/192 on the screen..

I wonder what happened here.. (resampled?, bug? or what?)

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,156 of 5,194
I bought my X3 two years ago and I didn't even know there was a Rockbox update in the meantime, gotta try it because the one I have isn't fully stable.

I'd suggest you to update your X3 with the VTX5 version.. Don't bother with the Rockbox. In the past, there's pitch issue on X3 that Xduoo did not address. Vortex ported the Rockbox to X3 as alternative firmware.

But since Vortex now created a tweaked X3 firmware (the VTX5; which I believed cure the pitch issue), it is a better firmware for X3.

If you still want to try Rockbox, of course you can do that too. Make sure you compare it with VTX5 firmware.. Try to hear the difference... I found that the VTX5 firmware sounds superior to the Rockbox one. But YMMV..

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #5,157 of 5,194
I bought my X3 two years ago and I didn't even know there was a Rockbox update in the meantime, gotta try it because the one I have isn't fully stable.

@tomaster

I don't think that there were any reports of instability of the original firmware (unless the device has been hacked by the owner for some reason). It's worth of checkingthe version of your existing firmware against the current XDUOO X3 firmware published on their site.

Your message implies that you've had not read the posts of this thread and the (sister) Rockbox thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/ I understand what a time consuming this task may be but you've been using your device for two years oblivious to any developments and trends so there's no rush I guess...

There two clear camps: 'original firmware' users claiming better sound and 'Rockboxers' very happy with the versatility and the fix to a perceived glitch of the original firmware. Now there's this glowing report of the 'custom' firmware courtesy by @dw1narso.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #5,158 of 5,194
@tomaster

I don't think that there were any reports of instability of the original firmware (unless the device has been hacked by the owner for some reason). It's worth of checkingthe version of your existing firmware against the current XDUOO X3 firmware published on their site.

Your message implies that you've had not read the posts of this thread and the (sister) Rockbox thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/ I understand what a time consuming this task may be but you've been using your device for two years oblivious to any developments and trends so there's no rush I guess...

There two clear camps: 'original firmware' users claiming better sound and 'Rockboxers' very happy with the versatility and the fix to a perceived glitch of the original firmware. Now there's this glowing report of the 'custom' firmware courtesy by @dw1narso.
I'm not talking about the original firmware, I've been using the Rockbox for the past 2 years, I was just thinking the development is abandoned, wasn't aware there was an update last year. I like Rockbox a lot and I think I'll stick to it, even if once in a while it can produce a restart and I'm checking this last update for any improvements in that regard.

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #5,159 of 5,194
I'm not talking about the original firmware, I've been using the Rockbox for the past 2 years, I was just thinking the development is abandoned, wasn't aware there was an update last year. I like Rockbox a lot and I think I'll stick to it, even if once in a while it can produce a restart and I'm checking this last update for any improvements in that regard.

Correct; the update last year was major, with XVortex fixing some major issues and adding some good stuff (although I forget the exact specifics). I remember he was very excited and proud after releasing it, and urged everyone to upgrade to it ASAP.

I know it had finally solved all of my problems, some of which had been nagging my X3 for years. It’s the best and most stable firmware he’s ever given us.

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #5,160 of 5,194
Correct; the update last year was major, with XVortex fixing some major issues and adding some good stuff (although I forget the exact specifics). I remember he was very excited and proud after releasing it, and urged everyone to upgrade to it ASAP.

I know it had finally solved all of my problems, some of which had been nagging my X3 for years. It’s the best and most stable firmware he’s ever given us.
That sounds great, now if only somebody could fix the display issue where it's useless in daylight I could fully enjoy this DAP haha. It sounds great and has plenty of power but display is terrible and battery is just OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back