XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Mar 29, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #5,116 of 5,194
How about the Cowon plenum D at about £200... ?

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #5,117 of 5,194
Slater..once again thanks for your input I will look out for a smaller charger.. Also gonna keep my eye out in the future for another player, buy a different brand. One that as much better battery life, and sounds good, probably better warranty, could still do with 2 slots, but one with good internal sd is ok...don't really need balanced, or bluetooth, ...more research needed...

Many old flip phone or very early cell phone chargers charge at 500mA.

Also, note that almost all USB 2.0 (not 3.0) ports supply 500mA (ie 0.5A). I say not USB 3.0 because USB 3.0 allows for much higher current.

So depending on the age of your computer, it may work fine.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #5,118 of 5,194
I finished up charging with a 500ma Nokia phone charger, all good, not warm now.. And now fully charged.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #5,119 of 5,194
Slater..once again thanks for your input I will look out for a smaller charger.. Also gonna keep my eye out in the future for another player, buy a different brand. One that as much better battery life, and sounds good, probably better warranty, could still do with 2 slots, but one with good internal sd is ok...don't really need balanced, or bluetooth, ...more research needed...

A couple of years ago I picked up the Onkyo DP-S1 (basically the same thing as the Pioneer XDP-30R) which also has twin MicroSD card slots when it dropped under $200, and it has a color touch screen (as well as some physical controls) and a bunch of other nice features like BlueTooth, WiFi, 2.5mm TRRS balanced output (as well as regular 3.5mm), etc. I used it alongside my XDuoo X3 for a while, but these days I use the Onkyo a lot more. There were a number of over-the-air firmware updates (the Onkyo would just let me know when a new firmware was out, and let me apply it with a tap) that really improved the performance of the Onkyo, especially with music indexing (I have two full 200GB MicroSD cards in it) and album art while I've had it. Only real downside to the Onkyo is I see no simple way to replace the battery, so when the battery dies, no idea if I'll have a brick or not (that would make me sad). What I wouldn't give for a DAP with all the Onkyo features but an easily replaceable lithium ion or lithium polymer battery!

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #5,120 of 5,194
Thanks for the OnKyo, will look into this..As well as the cowon D, at £200

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #5,121 of 5,194
Quick question, , a friend is doing some 64gb cards for me with the flac, or mp3 320 size , with all artwork, Inc. Booklets etc , meant really for the pc..... But if I loads the cards into my player. ..will it be OK, and still work, but only see and play the cd name, title, etc.....But having the artwork on and extra stuff won't cause trouble ???

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #5,122 of 5,194

If you had asked this question a few months ago, I would have directed you to the Fiio X5-II, Fiio were selling some refurbished units on their store back in January. I think I regret not getting one now. From your other posts, I see that you have identified a Cowon Plenue D, the Sony DAPs also have good battery life.

A couple of years ago I picked up the Onkyo DP-S1 (basically the same thing as the Pioneer XDP-30R) which also has twin MicroSD card slots when it dropped under $200, and it has a color touch screen (as well as some physical controls) and a bunch of other nice features like BlueTooth, WiFi, 2.5mm TRRS balanced output (as well as regular 3.5mm), etc. I used it alongside my XDuoo X3 for a while, but these days I use the Onkyo a lot more. There were a number of over-the-air firmware updates (the Onkyo would just let me know when a new firmware was out, and let me apply it with a tap) that really improved the performance of the Onkyo, especially with music indexing (I have two full 200GB MicroSD cards in it) and album art while I've had it. Only real downside to the Onkyo is I see no simple way to replace the battery, so when the battery dies, no idea if I'll have a brick or not (that would make me sad). What I wouldn't give for a DAP with all the Onkyo features but an easily replaceable lithium ion or lithium polymer battery!

Same here, I hate contributing to electronic waste, I do wish more companies would use replaceable batteries.

Quick question, , a friend is doing some 64gb cards for me with the flac, or mp3 320 size , with all artwork, Inc. Booklets etc , meant really for the pc..... But if I loads the cards into my player. ..will it be OK, and still work, but only see and play the cd name, title, etc.....But having the artwork on and extra stuff won't cause trouble ???

Artwork and other files will be ignored by the player. At least it is using Rockbox, I know from your previous posts you are using stock firmware.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #5,123 of 5,194

Depends on what your friend uses to rip and tag. Personally, I rip with software that uses AccurateRip (dBpoweramp or Exact Audio Copy on PC, Rip , XLD, or Songboook on Mac):

http://www.accuraterip.com

I have XLD set to prefer MusicBrainz for it's metadata, which pulls down artwork automatically, and embeds it along with the other track data into each file itself (I'm not aware of any free services that pull down booklets, and I don't think there's a way to embed booklets). There are semi-standards for handling things like cover artwork and other bits and pieces as extra files in the same folder instead along with the tracks in an album, but I don't bother with that since it's not a universal standard and I want to maximize portability and atomic compatibility (also why I happen to use M4A instead of FLAC for lossless, since everything I own plays M4A but some things don't play FLAC). Anyway, I also do a second pass with MusicBrainz Picard:

https://picard.musicbrainz.org

That way I can fix any mismatches, improve artwork I don't like, and sometimes I back-propagate corrections (a given album will have different releases depending on region, and since these databases are created by end-users, occasionally there are errors or there are regional or store-specific releases which nobody has entered yet, and I like to give back and add to the database when I can). There's also some useful plugins for Picard which can extend it's functionality further and automate some things (for instance I do not like to have featured artists in the artist field in the metadata, and prefer to have it added in parentheses to the track title, and there is a plugin to do that automatically for me):

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/plugins/

You can also always batch post-process files with MusicBrainz Picard at any time. It can also do acoustic matches of tracks by sampling them, doing a fingerprint, and cross-checking the fingerprint with databases of known track/track combinations to match audio files with no metadata to known tracks in albums, in case you have rips with no existing metadata embedded.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #5,124 of 5,194
I like Picard. I only discovered it last year so I'm probably not using it correctly yet. It has one 'fault' that annoys me greatly, at least when I use it as it comes, perhaps there are settings/tweaks that will stop it doing it. It often identifies a track as belonging to a different album to the one I have, so gives it a different track number and artwork. E.g. I might have the original album but picard matches a track with a "best of" album or some other compilation. That screws up my track data and I have to go looking on wikipedia or somewhere for the original track listing and fix it with my tag and rename prog.

Otherwise, it's brilliant for turning mass track grabs from misc sources into an organised music collection. It completely gets around the old problem of not being able to rip tracks from an ipod back to a PC etc.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #5,125 of 5,194
I like Picard. I only discovered it last year so I'm probably not using it correctly yet. It has one 'fault' that annoys me greatly, at least when I use it as it comes, perhaps there are settings/tweaks that will stop it doing it. It often identifies a track as belonging to a different album to the one I have, so gives it a different track number and artwork. E.g. I might have the original album but picard matches a track with a "best of" album or some other compilation. That screws up my track data and I have to go looking on wikipedia or somewhere for the original track listing and fix it with my tag and rename prog.

Otherwise, it's brilliant for turning mass track grabs from misc sources into an organised music collection. It completely gets around the old problem of not being able to rip tracks from an ipod back to a PC etc.

Some things I've learned about Picard over time:

- Once a "lookup" or "scan" is done on tracks in the left pane and they are moved to the right, you can drag and drop them between any albums that are in the right pane to correct any mis-matches manually if you want.
- Once you do a "Lookup in Browser" in Picard, you gain a new button on every album result page in the MusicBrainz website that when clicked will populate the right pane of the app with that album release (empty with no tracks in it) so that you can, if you want, manually move tracks into that album to re-tag them to that release.
- You can right click on any album in the right pane and get a list of all the different releases for a given album (which can be physical i.e. CD, vinyl, etc. or digital), and each of those releases can vary in terms of track count, track order, or actual tracks depending on the release. Picard tries it's best to do the right thing and most of the time it does, but it doesn't always, and I got in the habit of double-checking it most of the time. Changing a release will then auto-match the tracks into that release, which it gets right most of the time if the new release you chose is the right one. You will get different artwork as well depending on the release (be careful too, since some releases have 320x320 artwork and others have 1500x1500 that might clock in at 500k, and in that situation I prefer to cap out at 1000x1000 and will often find or create my own downscaled 1000x1000 artwork instead, and it's easy to drag and drop your own artwork into the preview window to override the auto looked up artwork).
- If the files being tagged in Picard have embedded artwork already and you want to retain it rather than use whatever Picard has found, you can right click on the preview thumbnail of the new cover art and a context menu appears which includes the option "Keep original cover art".

Those things all changed my opinion of the software and made it my primary tagging solution since I feel like it has a good mix of auto and manual features. Arguably the interface could expose some of these cool features in better ways, but since it's free yet powerful software, I can't fault it too much for questionable UI choices.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #5,126 of 5,194
A lot to understand. Anyway thanks for input, will try the cards out when they arrive this week.. Think most functions will be seen when a PC.. but thanks .

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #5,127 of 5,194
Cross post from another thread, i went to the mall and they didnt have the battery capacity i want. Went home and saw the polymer li-ion battery list and can find the dimensions for 2000mAh that is similar to the one inside X3.

Dang

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5,128 of 5,194
Cross post from another thread, i went to the mall and they didnt have the battery capacity i want. Went home and saw the polymer li-ion battery list and can find the dimensions for 2000mAh that is similar to the one inside X3.

Dang

I seem to remember someone saying a replacement battery for some model of Samsung Galaxy phone is a perfect fit.

I would search this X3 thread and the other one (the X3 Rockbox thread) for the words Samsung Galaxy and you should find the info.

If my memory is correct, then that battery should be readily available.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #5,129 of 5,194
Checking out my senn HD580, using lineout into Ellk fiio amp....sounds ok.high gain on amp. Bass off...
20190401_203329.jpg
20190401_203724.jpg

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #5,130 of 5,194
Sd Card Update. ...just received my 64gb sd cards all fUllapool with mp3 320 kbps, and FLAC quality... Checking these on the pc , it says these are in Exfat32... I checked them all, and my original 3 cards already had...And all are Exfat32.....
Checking my smaller cards these are Fat32....
Anyway Thankfully the Xduoo X3 reads, plays, all OK. Am I pleased you bet....saves backing up the cards ( which I'm doing anyway ) but don't have to erase and reformat these cards to Fat32.....Which is what some players require, like the Cowon plenue D.... ( I'v heard and read ) .....How about if I picked up the newer X3 11......would my cards work ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back