xDuoo TA-26: a perfect match for my Sennheiser HD 650
Jul 25, 2021 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

DeBilbao

100+ Head-Fier
My relationship with the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones is just pure love. I've been using them for more than 20 years and though I've tried to find better alternatives and tested many brands and models, no headphone has ever made them leave my place. Lately the AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon have come very close, but the HD 650's have something special that connects with how I like to listen to music, and they've given me thousands of hours of enjoyment.

If you want to get the max out of them, Sennheiser HD 650s are demanding headphones in terms of amplification. With their 300 Ohms impedance, they are not a pair of headphones that you can use with your phone, but they don't need a nuclear power plant either. The balanced output of my HiBy R3 Pro portable player offers 210mW per channel and moves them very well, but my Rega EAR MK2 amplifier with its 28dB gain and 0.175 Ohms output impedance manages them with great authority and its lovely, analog sound has captivated me too.

The Sennheiser HD 650s are particularly well suited to tube amplfication, and make listening very pleasant. I've tried a few of them, and I have a particularly good memory of the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, but with all of them I've always had problems with electromagnetic interference sneaking into the sound, and as I really like the sound of the Rega EAR MK2 and it takes up very little space on my desk, I've always returned to that combination

In my wish list is the Bottlehead Crack, a tube amp with an OTL (Output Transformer Less) design, which always appears as a great match for the Sennheiser HD 650, but it's a DIY design, difficult to get here and it's way too big, so I've never decided get one. In my radar is also listed the DarkVoice 336SE which usually appears in Drop and is also an OTL design also with good reputation.

Recently, the manufacturer xDuoo has released their alternative with the TA-26 model, so I have contacted them to try one and I've been testing it for a while, as I did with their other tube models TA-10 and TA-30, which also incorporate a DAC. I shared my impressions here in a post for the TA-30 and another post for the TA-10 .

You have all the information about the xDuoo TA-26 on their website https://www.xduoo.net/product/ta-26/ where you can buy it for 319 USD, a price that I consider very competitive for the quality it delivers. Keep in mind that it is a heavy package and if sento to Europe, its most likely the shipment will pass through customs. In my case the transport was done by DHL Express and added 64 USD for the import, which resulted in 383 USD, which at the exchange rate is about 325 EUR, and even at that price it seems to me a very interesting purchase.

https://album.link/i/1440864756

The sweetness of tube sound demands quiet music like this Chet Baker Sings, intimacy, and even a bit of darkness, so that the magic of that warm sound has its scenario with the electrons party happening inside the vacuum tubes. It all adds up to a pleasant experience.

The version of Chet Baker's My Funny Valentine on this album is one of those that invite you to put the playback on loop and repeat it over and over again. The voice of a young Chet, controlled, tempered and delicious, accompanied simply by Russ Freeman's piano and the occasional notes of Carson Smith's bass. The sound of Chet's voice is fabulous, and this is a 1956 recording, very well mastered.

jD68Qi1.jpg

The TA-26 amp is connected to a Topping D10s DAC, enhanced with a Burson V5i opamp, and provides a very clean and less analog sound than the Rega DAC I have in my main rig.

The Topping D10s is connected to the xDuuo TA-26 with an AudioQuest Evergreen RCA cable, and to my iMac 4K with an AudioQuest Pearl USB cable. These are cables from their more basic ranges, but they are very well finished and I like them a lot. On the iMac I use Audirvana version 3.5.46 as my source, which plays both my library of FLAC files and streaming from my TIDAL Hi-Fi subscription.

As you can see in the picture, the amplifier incorporates an output that you can use to integrate it into your stereo system. That's very convenient because it acts not only as a headphone amplifier, but also performs as a tube pre-amplifier, allowing you to add that tube sound to your source.

0NxJyev.jpg

The first thing that surprised me about this xDuoo TA-26 is the silence of the unit when powered on and connected to the source. All the tube equipment I have tested in my place has picked up some interference coming from the equipment I have nearby. Very little noticeable interference at low volume, but this static noise is annoying for the mere fact of knowing it is there.With the TA-26 I got no noise at all, even though I have a Wi-Fi access point and a cordless phone next to me.

Henri Texier's bass on Cinecitta, the opening track of his latest album Chance, is simply incredible. The timbre achieved by this setup is very realistic, with great extension, leaving the notes suspended in the air. The track continues adding layers of instruments from the quintet and Henri Texier's bass is joined by the clarinet of his son Sebastien Texier, the drumsticks of Gautier Garrigue's drums to end in a party with Manu Codjia's guitar and Vincent Le Quang's saxophone. An exquisite album that grabs you from the first note, and that xDuoo TA-26, Topping D10s and Sennheiser HD 650 masterfully resolve.

https://album.link/es/i/1495824232

oE84Hdx.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/1457278367

Live music sounds fantastic, and the Jazz, my favorite genre, dazzles. Another great album recorded in 1959 with an amazing quality is this Jazz Alive! A Night at the Half Note, which transports you to a New York club atmosphere and in which you can imagine the smoke between the tables while we are introduced to those responsible for a session full of swing that I can recommend without doubt.

cOftYCM.jpg

Second thing that surprised me is that it dissipates heat very well, and even after hours of continuous operation, the equipment is hot but you can put your hand on it without problem. You can tell that xDuoo has taken care of the details in the design and manufacturing, as excesive heating has been an issue that I've read complaints from users of previous models.

Both the sides and the bottom have some grids that allow the dissipation of the heat it generates. On the bottom you can see that it has four rubber feet that allow it to rest on any surface without damaging it. For those who want to get their hands on the guts, you will only need a Torx 8 screwdriver, as all screws are of that metric.

unUIXn8.jpg

The equipment mounts two tubes that I suppose of Chinese manufacture. In the rear we have a double triode valve labelled as 6N13PJ, equivalent to a 6AS7G. In Radio Museum and The Valve Museum you have detailed information about it. In 1950 there are already references to it in the RCA catalog.

sgG0obI.jpg

On the front we have the preamp valve, another double triode that is the most responsible of the final sound. It is labelled as 6N8P, and is equivalent to the 6SN7GT, which you can read about in Radio Museum y en The Valve Museum.

I have bought a NOS valve manufactured by Melody in the 60's. Cary Audio, the legendary british manufacturer, decided to select it for their preamps, and I'll share with you my impressions, but I'm expecting to make a noticeable difference.

kOlE6Q6.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/821631318

Ike Quebec's tenor sax on his famous Bossa Nova Soul Samba, combined with Kenny Burrell's guitar are a delight, which the system reproduces beautifully and invites you to dim the lights, close your eyes and let yourself be carried away to Brazil.

wscazfX.jpg

https://song.link/es/i/1480026455

James Taylor's popular Fire and Rain follows in my listening session, and I close my eyes as I feel his mellow voice, his guitar and the fine background arrangements. There is a string strumming in the background that is not so easy to hear and is easily missed. I try switching from the Sennheiser HD 650s to the AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon and I have to turn the volume down slightly and notice the mids are more muffled than usual, although I soon get used to the signature of these.

koKUcr4.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/1021629166

But clearly the xDuoo TA-26 makes a much better match with my beloved Sennheiser HD 650, so I return to them and to Jazz, thanks to Patricia Barber and her album Café Blue, which I have in its MFSL edition and sounds magnificent. Patricia takes a lot of care in her recordings and it doesn't matter the album you choose, it is a guarantee of quality.

I listen to Ode to Billy Joe, which is basically her voice, finger snapping and a bass line supporting the melody.... how good it sounds! And I continue with his version of Nardis, the song composed by Miles Davis and performed so many times by Bill Evans. The timbre of the piano surprises me, it is one of the most difficult instruments to reproduce and this setup does it phenomenally.

Definition is very good, and the equipment extracts all the information from these well-recorded albums. There is no congestion at all in the sound, and there is a lot of air between instruments, which are clearly distinguisable.

dYcV1Mb.jpg

xDuoo publishes on their website a total power of 500mW with a 300 Ohms load, which is just the impedance of the Sennheiser HD 650. And they also announce a gain of 16dB, 110dB signal-to-noise ratio, and a THD+N distortion of less than 0.1% at 1kHz.

To give you an idea, I can't get higher than the first quarter of the volume knob. With this headroom, I don't feel that I'm going to lack power with this set.

To make it short, I've found the xDuoo TA-26 an excellent choice to get the most out of my Sennheiser HD 650. The only drawback is its size, which is a little big on my desktop When the summer end, I'll take it to my main rig and will try the combination with my Rega DAC, I'm sure I'll be surprised.

The design seems to me the most beutiful xDuoo have made so far. The metal of the chassis is treated with a fine shot-blasting process, which makes it no longer a magnet for fingerprints, which is also an added bonus.

Volume control knob is precise, and on the front there is also a switch to turn the device on and off, which is more convenient than if it had been placed at the back.

wUllcu3.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/1569844201

I leave you listening to Ledisi and her new album, a tribute to Nina Simone. An impressive voice and an excellent recording that I would suggest to any vocal Jazz fan.

I hope you liked the reading, I'll be back soon with the result of the tube rolling and later on with the listening experience with the Rega DAC instead of Topping D10s.

:)

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 68
Note that most XDuoo tube amps have an aux in and aux out, but aux out by definition means it is just an exit and not a pre-amp.

I don't know what you exactly mean by "an exit". Are you meaning "an output"?

I've tested the TA-26 as a preamp, it works as advertised by xDuoo and you can even get volume control.

TA-26-detail-page-5.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/1440943873

I've tested using the analog signal from my NAD T 562 DVD & CD player as input and my NAD C 320BEE as output

This is a rig that I seldom use, but everytime I switch it on and pick one of my favourite CDs, I smile with its wonderful sound. Either using headphones or speakers, though I prefer speakers in this place.

EcUwK8B.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 68
My relationship with the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones is just pure love. I've been using them for more than 20 years and though I've tried to find better alternatives and tested many brands and models, no headphone has ever made them leave my place. Lately the AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon have come very close, but the HD 650's have something special that connects with how I like to listen to music, and they've given me thousands of hours of enjoyment.

If you want to get the max out of them, Sennheiser HD 650s are demanding headphones in terms of amplification. With their 300 Ohms impedance, they are not a pair of headphones that you can use with your phone, but they don't need a nuclear power plant either. The balanced output of my HiBy R3 Pro portable player offers 210mW per channel and moves them very well, but my Rega EAR MK2 amplifier with its 28dB gain and 0.175 Ohms output impedance manages them with great authority and its lovely, analog sound has captivated me too.

The Sennheiser HD 650s are particularly well suited to tube amplfication, and make listening very pleasant. I've tried a few of them, and I have a particularly good memory of the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, but with all of them I've always had problems with electromagnetic interference sneaking into the sound, and as I really like the sound of the Rega EAR MK2 and it takes up very little space on my desk, I've always returned to that combination

In my wish list is the Bottlehead Crack, a tube amp with an OTL (Output Transformer Less) design, which always appears as a great match for the Sennheiser HD 650, but it's a DIY design, difficult to get here and it's way too big, so I've never decided get one. In my radar is also listed the DarkVoice 336SE which usually appears in Drop and is also an OTL design also with good reputation.

Recently, the manufacturer xDuoo has released their alternative with the TA-26 model, so I have contacted them to try one and I've been testing it for a while, as I did with their other tube models TA-10 and TA-30, which also incorporate a DAC. I shared my impressions here in a post for the TA-30 and another post for the TA-10 .

You have all the information about the xDuoo TA-26 on their website https://www.xduoo.net/product/ta-26/ where you can buy it for 319 USD, a price that I consider very competitive for the quality it delivers. Keep in mind that it is a heavy package and if sento to Europe, its most likely the shipment will pass through customs. In my case the transport was done by DHL Express and added 64 USD for the import, which resulted in 383 USD, which at the exchange rate is about 325 EUR, and even at that price it seems to me a very interesting purchase.

The sweetness of tube sound demands quiet music like this Chet Baker Sings, intimacy, and even a bit of darkness, so that the magic of that warm sound has its scenario with the electrons party happening inside the vacuum tubes. It all adds up to a pleasant experience.

The version of Chet Baker's My Funny Valentine on this album is one of those that invite you to put the playback on loop and repeat it over and over again. The voice of a young Chet, controlled, tempered and delicious, accompanied simply by Russ Freeman's piano and the occasional notes of Carson Smith's bass. The sound of Chet's voice is fabulous, and this is a 1956 recording, very well mastered.

jD68Qi1.jpg

The TA-26 amp is connected to a Topping D10s DAC, enhanced with a Burson V5i opamp, and provides a very clean and less analog sound than the Rega DAC I have in my main rig.

The Topping D10s is connected to the xDuuo TA-26 with an AudioQuest Evergreen RCA cable, and to my iMac 4K with an AudioQuest Pearl USB cable. These are cables from their more basic ranges, but they are very well finished and I like them a lot. On the iMac I use Audirvana version 3.5.46 as my source, which plays both my library of FLAC files and streaming from my TIDAL Hi-Fi subscription.

As you can see in the picture, the amplifier incorporates an output that you can use to integrate it into your stereo system. That's very convenient because it acts not only as a headphone amplifier, but also performs as a tube pre-amplifier, allowing you to add that tube sound to your source.

0NxJyev.jpg

The first thing that surprised me about this xDuoo TA-26 is the silence of the unit when powered on and connected to the source. All the tube equipment I have tested in my place has picked up some interference coming from the equipment I have nearby. Very little noticeable interference at low volume, but this static noise is annoying for the mere fact of knowing it is there.With the TA-26 I got no noise at all, even though I have a Wi-Fi access point and a cordless phone next to me.

Henri Texier's bass on Cinecitta, the opening track of his latest album Chance, is simply incredible. The timbre achieved by this setup is very realistic, with great extension, leaving the notes suspended in the air. The track continues adding layers of instruments from the quintet and Henri Texier's bass is joined by the clarinet of his son Sebastien Texier, the drumsticks of Gautier Garrigue's drums to end in a party with Manu Codjia's guitar and Vincent Le Quang's saxophone. An exquisite album that grabs you from the first note, and that xDuoo TA-26, Topping D10s and Sennheiser HD 650 masterfully resolve.

oE84Hdx.jpg

Live music sounds fantastic, and the Jazz, my favorite genre, dazzles. Another great album recorded in 1959 with an amazing quality is this Jazz Alive! A Night at the Half Note, which transports you to a New York club atmosphere and in which you can imagine the smoke between the tables while we are introduced to those responsible for a session full of swing that I can recommend without doubt.

cOftYCM.jpg

Second thing that surprised me is that it dissipates heat very well, and even after hours of continuous operation, the equipment is hot but you can put your hand on it without problem. You can tell that xDuoo has taken care of the details in the design and manufacturing, as excesive heating has been an issue that I've read complaints from users of previous models.

Both the sides and the bottom have some grids that allow the dissipation of the heat it generates. On the bottom you can see that it has four rubber feet that allow it to rest on any surface without damaging it. For those who want to get their hands on the guts, you will only need a Torx 8 screwdriver, as all screws are of that metric.

unUIXn8.jpg

The equipment mounts two tubes that I suppose of Chinese manufacture. In the rear we have a double triode valve labelled as 6N13PJ, equivalent to a 6AS7G. In Radio Museum and The Valve Museum you have detailed information about it. In 1950 there are already references to it in the RCA catalog.

sgG0obI.jpg

On the front we have the preamp valve, another double triode that is the most responsible of the final sound. It is labelled as 6N8P, and is equivalent to the 6SN7GT, which you can read about in Radio Museum y en The Valve Museum.

I have bought a NOS valve manufactured by Melody in the 60's. Cary Audio, the legendary british manufacturer, decided to select it for their preamps, and I'll share with you my impressions, but I'm expecting to make a noticeable difference.

kOlE6Q6.jpg

Ike Quebec's tenor sax on his famous Bossa Nova Soul Samba, combined with Kenny Burrell's guitar are a delight, which the system reproduces beautifully and invites you to dim the lights, close your eyes and let yourself be carried away to Brazil.

wscazfX.jpg

James Taylor's popular Fire and Rain follows in my listening session, and I close my eyes as I feel his mellow voice, his guitar and the fine background arrangements. There is a string strumming in the background that is not so easy to hear and is easily missed. I try switching from the Sennheiser HD 650s to the AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon and I have to turn the volume down slightly and notice the mids are more muffled than usual, although I soon get used to the signature of these.

koKUcr4.jpg

But clearly the xDuoo TA-26 makes a much better match with my beloved Sennheiser HD 650, so I return to them and to Jazz, thanks to Patricia Barber and her album Café Blue, which I have in its MFSL edition and sounds magnificent. Patricia takes a lot of care in her recordings and it doesn't matter the album you choose, it is a guarantee of quality.

I listen to Ode to Billy Joe, which is basically her voice, finger snapping and a bass line supporting the melody.... how good it sounds! And I continue with his version of Nardis, the song composed by Miles Davis and performed so many times by Bill Evans. The timbre of the piano surprises me, it is one of the most difficult instruments to reproduce and this setup does it phenomenally.

Definition is very good, and the equipment extracts all the information from these well-recorded albums. There is no congestion at all in the sound, and there is a lot of air between instruments, which are clearly distinguisable.

dYcV1Mb.jpg

xDuoo publishes on their website a total power of 500mW with a 300 Ohms load, which is just the impedance of the Sennheiser HD 650. And they also announce a gain of 16dB, 110dB signal-to-noise ratio, and a THD+N distortion of less than 0.1% at 1kHz.

To give you an idea, I can't get higher than the first quarter of the volume knob. With this headroom, I don't feel that I'm going to lack power with this set.

To make it short, I've found the xDuoo TA-26 an excellent choice to get the most out of my Sennheiser HD 650. The only drawback is its size, which is a little big on my desktop When the summer end, I'll take it to my main rig and will try the combination with my Rega DAC, I'm sure I'll be surprised.

The design seems to me the most beutiful xDuoo have made so far. The metal of the chassis is treated with a fine shot-blasting process, which makes it no longer a magnet for fingerprints, which is also an added bonus.

Volume control knob is precise, and on the front there is also a switch to turn the device on and off, which is more convenient than if it had been placed at the back.

wUllcu3.jpg

I leave you listening to Ledisi and her new album, a tribute to Nina Simone. An impressive voice and an excellent recording that I would suggest to any vocal Jazz fan.

I hope you liked the reading, I'll be back soon with the result of the tube rolling and later on with the listening experience with the Rega DAC instead of Topping D10s.

The TA 26 is neat! It kinda reminds me of my Little Dot MK 2 on steroids. lol

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 68
I don't know what you exactly mean by "an exit". Are you meaning "an output"?

I've tested the TA-26 as a preamp, it works as advertised by xDuoo and you can even get volume control.

TA-26-detail-page-5.jpg

https://album.link/es/i/1440943873
I've tested using the analog signal from my NAD T 562 DVD & CD player as input and my NAD C 320BEE as output

This is a rig that I seldom use, but everytime I switch it on and pick one of my favourite CDs, I smile with its wonderful sound. Either using headphones or speakers, though I prefer speakers in this place.

Apologies, thanks for correcting me :wink:

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 68

jD68Qi1.jpg

0NxJyev.jpg

oE84Hdx.jpg

cOftYCM.jpg

unUIXn8.jpg

sgG0obI.jpg

kOlE6Q6.jpg

wscazfX.jpg

koKUcr4.jpg

dYcV1Mb.jpg

wUllcu3.jpg

Congrats! your in hi-fi heaven. The'26 is also in my shortlist.
That 1/2 w. may seem small, but check out the size of that transformer !
It stores and draw tremendous current, you won't lack any power for your cans...
1627459573847.png

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 68
Very beautiful old fashioned German color setup! I like it. thx.

It's the ultimate adjective to describe it :beyersmile:

Anyway, I agree, it's beautiful!

:L3000:

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 68
Congrats! your in hi-fi heaven. The'26 is also in my shortlist.
That 1/2 w. may seem small, but check out the size of that transformer !
It stores and draw tremendous current, you won't lack any power for your cans...
1627459573847.png

That's exactly my feeling.

Half watt may seem a short spec, but it's rated at 300 Ohms and I can't bear the volume passed the first quarter.

When used as a preamp though, I needed to crank it up halfway to get the most out of it, combined with my NAD C 320BEE amplifier.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 68

jD68Qi1.jpg

0NxJyev.jpg

oE84Hdx.jpg

cOftYCM.jpg

unUIXn8.jpg

sgG0obI.jpg

kOlE6Q6.jpg

wscazfX.jpg

koKUcr4.jpg

dYcV1Mb.jpg

wUllcu3.jpg

Man, your musical tastes are spot on and you are into Ledisi...you are on point !!! Great review, from a fellow Xduoo tube amp owner.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 68
I read no where says it is an OTL. Is it OTL like darkvoice?

I don't have this information, but a similar design as the DarkVoice 336SE, I'm asuming it is.

Through the tube holes you can get a glimpse of the inside

sLfIOeS.jpg

TeiugZW.jpg

And from the bottom, you can also guess the PCB layout and some tracks.

a7OaaOq.jpg

Compare this with the inside of the DarkVoice 336SE and you can see similar components, from the 25W1KJ aluminium resistance to the two triods tubes,

SQqljML.png

But I can't tell 100% without opening the unit...

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 68
I don't have this information, but a similar design as the DarkVoice 336SE, I'm asuming it is.

Through the tube holes you can get a glimpse of the inside

sLfIOeS.jpg

TeiugZW.jpg

And from the bottom, you can also guess the PCB layout and some tracks.

a7OaaOq.jpg

Compare this with the inside of the DarkVoice 336SE and you can see similar components, from the 25W1KJ aluminium resistance to the two triods tubes,

SQqljML.png

But I can't tell 100% without opening the unit...

Oh wow. Seems extremely similar to the darkvoice

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 68
Tube amps have an added bonus, and changing the tubes can transform the sound signature of your amplifier. Don't expect dramatic changes, but you can tune your sound and get a warmer, clearer, detailed, or more bassy profile. It's important to read about the tubes before investing in new ones, because you can end up with a collection of discarded tubes.

NOS (New Old Stock) are tubes manufactured many years ago and unopened, and it's being said that this kind of tubes are the best to improve stock tubes. With the xDuoo TA-10 I found an excellente Mullard EC882 tube that turn the sound into a richer, smoother and warmer profile, much aligned with my tasting.

With the new xDuoo TA-26 I've decided to swap only the pre-amp tube, because it's where I expect best results. My choice has been a Melody 6SN7GT tube, that you can see here beside the original stock tube. Melody tubes were the choice for the pre-amps of Cary Audio, an excellent brithish manufacturer with a sound profile similar to my liking.

As you can see, the Melody tube is noticeably shorter.

5DUJEqe.jpg

Remember, these tubes are double triods, so we have two separate circuits with a plate, grid and filament. When powered on, tubes are beautiful and ask for darkness, inviting me to search for good music that fit into this mood.

PGUWf7a.jpg

My first selection has been Brazilian duos, a delicate production with the sweet voice of Luciana Souza and the guitars of Romero Lubambo, Marco Pereira and Walter Santos (his father). It's an intimate session, perfect to relax and appreciate the texture of voice reproduction and guitar tone.

https://album.link/es/i/7370428

EQqGPQL.jpg

My first impression with the Melody tube has been excellent, as it adds richness to the sound, producing a tad warmer sound without an impact in clarity. But unfortunately, a few minutes after powered on, a noticeable hum noise appeared and I couldn't get rid of it, so the final result is bad and I switched back to the stock tube.

This is a very common problem with tubes and humming is a recurring issue when you read about tube rolling.

By the way, the stock tube is excellent. It produces a beautiful sound, with a rich bass (if bass is present in the recording), and clear, detailed, very detailed I would say, that can get the most out of good recordings, as this extraordinary Map to the treasure: Reimaging Laura Nyro by Billy Childs.

The first track of this album, New York Tendaberry, is a perfect example to check the 3D imaging of your equipment. Opposite to speaker listening, when listening with headphone, you perceive the music in your ears and inside your head, but not coming from the outside. But sometimes you turn your head because a sound comes from the back or the right. In this track, the first notes of the piano sound about 50cm in front of me. Impressive.

@RONJA MESCO you can see that Ledisi is in this album, too. :raised_hands:

https://album.link/i/898301895

wB4Rs6U.jpg

The sound of this xDuoo TA-26 is much more detailed than one would expect from a tube amp, and I've decided to check how much of it comes from the Topping D10s, so I moved the TA-26 to another place where I have my main rig with the Rega DAC.

6DeqhH3.jpg

I was very interested to see how well the TA-26 would perform with my Rega DAC and I must say that both make a great couple, but not so far from the Topping D10s (remember, modded with a Burson V5i opamp). Sound is a more richer and closer to the classic analog sound from old gear, and I'm more into that.

This Rega DAC is connected to my custom 2019 Mac Pro (built from a Z390 Designare motherboard) running latest macOS Big Sur 11.5.1, the same software than in my 2017 4K iMac, and Audirvana 3.5.46 as player, connected to my FLAC library and TIDAL Hi-Fi streaming service.

My selection to test it is Mark Lanegan's Come to Me, originally from Bubblegum album, but played from an excellent anthology I have that is in Spotify or Deezer, but not in TIDAL.

https://album.link/es/i/1460675467

fASVHCr.png

The dark voice of Mark Lanegan is perfectly reproduced and the harmonies with the voice of PJ Harvey are incredible. If I close my eyes I can see both and the musicians, with the drums and an excellent bass line. This album is a jewel and I let it go on, once you start listening to it you can't stop until the end. Bombed, Mirrored,... all the classics are incredibly well reproduced, and I only need to check my goosebumps as Pill Hill Serenade started.

I swapped the stock tube to check if the humming is present or not in this place, and I came out with exactly the same results, so I cannot say it's due to some EMI interferences. Good to see how well designed is the xDuoo TA-26 as with the original stock tubes I get a completely black background when using my Sennheiser HD 650 or my AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon headphones. I haven't tried with sensible IEMs, but my guess is that they would easily catch some noise. I'll check and come back to you with the results.

HJrdeY9.jpg

I've also compared the sound with the Rega EAR MK2 and I have to admit that is completely different sound signature. The Rega sound is less detailed, and in a first listen my mind prefers the TA-26, but once I entered this analog-like, old-fashioned sound, I got again captivated and felt like being at home again. TA-26 invites you to crank up the volume and the Rega asks for the opposite, lower the volume and enjoy this beautiful, relaxed sound.

Anyway, both are excellent choices and it would be difficult to choose one over the other because it all depends on the kind of music you want to listen and your own mood. For the moment I will keep both, complementing each other, and only time will tell. If I see that one of them is seldom used, I'll sell it.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a lot the xDuoo TA-26 with the stock tubes. It's a little wonder that can make your listening experience happier, or joyful, or sad, it all depends on the music you choose.

You can feel joyfullness by listening to Queen's A Night at the Opera, and the short Lazing in a Sunday Afternoon. Most of the tracks from this album are greatest hits, but if you carefulluy listen, you can find some less known tracks that are fantastic, like I'm Love with my car, a track that will recharge you for sure.

https://album.link/es/i/1441458047

JJYmsRM.jpg

Listening to Eldorado, from the Electric Light Orchestra is another album that I know very well. Many options to choose from, but if I would get the classic I Can't Get it Out of My Head.

https://album.link/es/i/1054523537

w8QY5Yl.jpg

I can enjoy almost any music genre, but Jazz is something special that connects with my taste, and the tasty sound of the xDuoo TA-26 make my feet unstoppable when listening to Benny Golson's Gone With Golson and its opening track Stacatto Swing, full ot PRAT (pace, rhythm and timings).

https://album.link/i/1442960084

0UzvNJ6.jpg

And if you mix Jazz and good voices, the combination is a perfect match for this xDuoo TA-26 & Sennheiser HD 650 combo. The usual goddesses are great, but you can try less known stars like Maxine Sullivan and this Close as Pages in a Book album, leading the session along with the clarinet of Bob Wilber, sweet voice and sweet instrument, a joy to listen.

https://album.link/es/i/915726754

G0XbKpq.jpg

Enjoy your music, any music, you choose. Turn off the lights and let the tubes make the magic.

DLk3CkK.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back