xDuoo TA-26: a perfect match for my Sennheiser HD 650
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #47 of 68
Well thank you for your reply you may just save me a bunch of money in tube rolling. Sounds similar to Op amp rolling minute differences. But you're happy overall with the sound of the amp?

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #48 of 68
Well thank you for your reply you may just save me a bunch of money in tube rolling. Sounds similar to Op amp rolling minute differences. But you're happy overall with the sound of the amp?

I think it's worth it. Very clean for a tube amp though and I would say some reviews exaggerate a bit on the musicality. It reaches a bit deeper in the bass region, mids are slightly more present and well, that's it. The potentiometer can crackle on some units and I noticed that this too depends on the preamp tube used. I swapped my potentiometer after a while and now it's silent.

I have not tried the rarest of NOS tubes though, so I can't say anything about that. Maybe it transforms this amp, who knows. I stick to what's readily available.

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #49 of 68
Well thank you for that mini review. I've read a lot of YouTube reviews and different things on the amp it seems like for the money it's pretty damn hard to beat. I got one on the way that I picked up for $230 open box. I will be putting a Alps potentiometer immediately.

I don't hear of anybody doing any mods on the inside I know it's pretty tight and things are kind of crammed in there. I'm actually thinking of changing out some of the capacitors and stuff for better quality stuff see if it makes any difference. I like to mess around with stuff, can't find anybody that's really done that.

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #50 of 68
Well thank you for that mini review. I've read a lot of YouTube reviews and different things on the amp it seems like for the money it's pretty damn hard to beat. I got one on the way that I picked up for $230 open box. I will be putting a Alps potentiometer immediately.

I don't hear of anybody doing any mods on the inside I know it's pretty tight and things are kind of crammed in there. I'm actually thinking of changing out some of the capacitors and stuff for better quality stuff see if it makes any difference. I like to mess around with stuff, can't find anybody that's really done that.

Feel free to tell me how it goes! I've been very curious about modding this thing because no one has done it before, unlike with the Darkvoice.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #53 of 68
Been messing around with the amp for 2 or 3 days don't like the sounds the sounds a little sterile it's not tubey enough sounding.

The item is for sale here in the classifieds on this website also I've listed it on eBay if anybody's interested has about 8 hours of play time on it basically it's brand new.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #54 of 68
Been messing around with the amp for 2 or 3 days don't like the sounds the sounds a little sterile it's not tubey enough sounding.

The item is for sale here in the classifieds on this website also I've listed it on eBay if anybody's interested has about 8 hours of play time on it basically it's brand new.
Are you on the original tubes? They are not very good, my TA-26 with mid-price tubes is way better (and more "tubey") than with the original ones.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #55 of 68
Yeah I'm on the original tubes. The question is what tubes there are so many tubes to try and I don't want to spend $250 on tubes on a $200 amp think I'm just going to upgrade to a better amp.

I thought about rolling tubes on it but I don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole.

What tubes are you using?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #56 of 68
Yeah I'm on the original tubes. The question is what tubes there are so many tubes to try and I don't want to spend $250 on tubes on a $200 amp think I'm just going to upgrade to a better amp.

I thought about rolling tubes on it but I don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole.

Not OP but Sylvanias are nice and Tung-Sol tubes do a great job too.

But in my honest opinion, the TA-26 is very light on the distortion. It's a clean amp and it's very understandable that you want more tube sound.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #58 of 68

I'm out of town for a few days, so can't be sure, but I believe it's a RCA on the back and a Hitachi on the front.

I also agree that the TA-26 is not very tubey to begin with. For me it's enough, and I'll be tube rolling as funds and oportunities arise.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #59 of 68
Yeah I've had several suggestions on tubes to try you know everybody's taste is different so what tubes work for you may not work for me what tubes work for the other guy may not work for you.

I've heard that the stock tubes hold this amp back but then I've watched videos on people changing tubes out and they said it was like so minut of a difference and they dropped $60 on tubes.

I think I'm just going to move on to another amp if I can get rid of this thing I know when there's an amp out and there's not a 15 or 20 Page thread on it it's typically not a very good amp when you get a gem of an amp there's usually a pretty good following of people and a lot of activity this is a four-page thread which tells me a lot about the amp.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #60 of 68
I know when there's an amp out and there's not a 15 or 20 Page thread on it it's typically not a very good amp when you get a gem of an amp there's usually a pretty good following of people and a lot of activity this is a four-page thread which tells me a lot about the amp.

And yet, with all this knowledge, you decided to buy it. Why ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back