xDuoo TA-03 Tube Amplifier (24Bit/192KHz USB DAC) - Impressions and Reviews thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #31 of 64
TA-01/TA-03 can serve as standalone DAC, they can also serve as standalone amp.
I own TA-01 but don't have personal experience with TA-03.
I think TA-01 is a cost-effective entry level choice.
Since it's a hybrid, it works nicely with low impedance headphones as well (I have tried 32 ohm/62 ohm/300 ohm).
Tube rolling is also fun and much easier, since there is only one tube, no need to worry about matched pairs or driver/power tube combinations.

Thanks. So TA01 has the same DAC part as TA03, right?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #32 of 64
TA-01 has new version, the DAC chip in the new version might not be the same as the previous one....
You may check out the discussions in Massdrop, someone mentioned about the changes in spec.
Before the revision, I think TA-01 and TA-03 share the same XMOS module.
I am not sure about the current versions.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #34 of 64
I'm curious on this DAC/Amp. However, I cannot find out a serious review. As a OTL, this should not be good for low impedance phones.
Can this be used as a stand alone DAC and a stand alone amplifier? Any comparison for its DAC part, its Amp. part, and combo of DAC and amplifier? I expect this is also a cost-effective product from Xduoo. Any more impression and comments?

I use it only as a dedicated amplifier. It is a VERY clear and articulate amp, not wooly or warm at all, as you might expect from tube amplifiers. Yeah I wouldn't use it with low Z multi BA iems, but other than that, it works marvellously with all my headphones. The onboard DAC isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but I have only used it once, only to test that the DAC works. I have dedicated DACs that are better suited for the job. Also, to answer your question, the TA03 does not have line out.

I had the Bottlehead crack for awhile (that and HD600 is a match made in heaven) and I swapped out the tubes and noticed a noticeable change in the TA03 sound. Tube rolling is easy and safe and is a rabbit hole I am trying very hard to not go down. I am back to Stock tubes but honestly the TA03 is so transparent that it puts a LOT of good solid state amplifiers to shame.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #35 of 64
I use it only as a dedicated amplifier. It is a VERY clear and articulate amp, not wooly or warm at all, as you might expect from tube amplifiers. Yeah I wouldn't use it with low Z multi BA iems, but other than that, it works marvellously with all my headphones. The onboard DAC isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but I have only used it once, only to test that the DAC works. I have dedicated DACs that are better suited for the job. Also, to answer your question, the TA03 does not have line out.

I had the Bottlehead crack for awhile (that and HD600 is a match made in heaven) and I swapped out the tubes and noticed a noticeable change in the TA03 sound. Tube rolling is easy and safe and is a rabbit hole I am trying very hard to not go down. I am back to Stock tubes but honestly the TA03 is so transparent that it puts a LOT of good solid state amplifiers to shame.

So you mean it's DAC is not that good? It has two DAC chips! Anyway. How about it compared with bottle head for hd600? How about soundstage, separation, details? Seems like its sound is similar to Valhalla 2.
Thank you!

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 64
So you mean it's DAC is not that good? It has two DAC chips! Anyway. How about it compared with bottle head for hd600? How about soundstage, separation, details? Seems like its sound is similar to Valhalla 2.
Thank you!

The DAC isn't all that bad, but I won't be pulling out the unit just to use its DAC, is what I am saying. I am not sure if there has been a revision since I purchased my amp, in terms of which dac and number of chips. Its a neat little unit thats perfect if you are short on space. Also, the number of chips don't necessarily equate with sound quality as I am sure you know.

The bottlehead crack sounds more euphoric and warm, with midrange to farking die for. But it lacks the transparency and sense of openness of the TA03, when compared using the same source. I don't have the bottlehead anymore, so I am going by memory here, they are so different sounding that its hard to compare them apples to apples.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #37 of 64
The DAC isn't all that bad, but I won't be pulling out the unit just to use its DAC, is what I am saying. I am not sure if there has been a revision since I purchased my amp, in terms of which dac and number of chips. Its a neat little unit thats perfect if you are short on space. Also, the number of chips don't necessarily equate with sound quality as I am sure you know.

The bottlehead crack sounds more euphoric and warm, with midrange to farking die for. But it lacks the transparency and sense of openness of the tube amp, when compared using the same source. I don't have the bottlehead anymore, so I am going by memory here, they are so different sounding that its hard to compare them apples to apples.

I see. Thank you, Tamal!

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #39 of 64
Yes, the unit is OTL, I believe that is in some translation, and the single transformer is visible inside that cube is definitely for the power supply for the tube amp.

Interestingly, the DAC is powered exclusively by the USB cable, you can run it with the rear power switch off. When you plug the USB, you can hear a relay connect the DAC to the amp, and the rear RCA are the DAC output.

Disconnect the USB, and the relay opens, and the rear RCA becomes amp input.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #40 of 64
Yes, the unit is OTL, I believe that is in some translation, and the single transformer is visible inside that cube is definitely for the power supply for the tube amp.

Interestingly, the DAC is powered exclusively by the USB cable, you can run it with the rear power switch off. When you plug the USB, you can hear a relay connect the DAC to the amp, and the rear RCA are the DAC output.

Disconnect the USB, and the relay opens, and the rear RCA becomes amp input.
Thanks for your reply.
Anyway the OP promised sharing about tube rolling and there're no posts about it yet. Do you guys here use stock tubes??

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #41 of 64
Thanks for your reply.
Anyway the OP promised sharing about tube rolling and there're no posts about it yet. Do you guys here use stock tubes??

I took a look at your headphones. Remember OTL is for high impedance cans, it's for Beyers, not for 32ohm products. I have two OTL amplifiers and one is Valhalla 2. However, I found my Dt990/600 work better with SS amplifier than my OTLs, even Valhalla 2. I do not know why.
This is my 2 cents based on my personal experience, FYI.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #42 of 64
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #43 of 64
I took a look at your headphones. Remember OTL is for high impedance cans, it's for Beyers, not for 32ohm products. I have two OTL amplifiers and one is Valhalla 2. However, I found my Dt990/600 work better with SS amplifier than my OTLs, even Valhalla 2. I do not know why.
This is my 2 cents based on my personal experience, FYI.

Thanks Yangian for insightful comment. Do not worry I barely use my Grado these days due to comfort and portability issues and only use the 2 Beyers with amps. By 'work better' did you mean 'sound better'?

I mentioned my success only with changing the 12AU7 tube, here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-amplifiers.682282/page-6#post-13683804

I was really surprised how much of a difference that tube made.

The power tubes are finicky and don't seem to vary much between the few manufacturers.

Thanks for sharing! 12AU7 has been the one I want to replace.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #44 of 64
Thanks Yangian for insightful comment. Do not worry I barely use my Grado these days due to comfort and portability issues and only use the 2 Beyers with amps. By 'work better' did you mean 'sound better'

Yes, I meant sound better.
FYI, The SS amp. I use is this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A6-...701-HIFI-headphone-amplifier/32794890464.html
And the other OTL I use is similar to this (use the same tubes):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IWI...-32-600-Ohms-Output-Power-1W/32823991278.html

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #45 of 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back