xDuoo TA-03 Tube Amplifier (24Bit/192KHz USB DAC) - Impressions and Reviews thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

RedJohn456

Headphoneus Supremus
While xDuoo may be well known for their X3 DAP and XD-05 DAC/Amplifier, they also have a series of tube amplifiers, TA-03 being their flagship model. The TA-03 is an all in one solution, a tube amp packing a 24Bit/192Khz USB Dac. 

Here are some tidbits from the official product page:

General
This amp is very versatile in terms of what its capable of and how it can be used. For example, if you have the USB DAC connected to your computer, you can have the RCA line in act as a line out, allowing you to add a different amp to be used with the DAC.  

It has plenty of power to drive even my most demanding cans AND it can drive my iems without issue, adding to its versatility. It utilizes a 12AU7 tube for pre-amp and 6C19 tubes tubes for each channel.

The TA-03 is built to high exacting standards and positively exudes premium build quality. Its built like a tank and has a good heft to it, despite its relatively smaller size. The outside panels fit together perfectly, the knobs are not loose nor too tight. The volume indicators are nice and bright, making it easy to control volume easily. It really is a quality piece of kit, quite the looker!

Sound impressions 
I have it hooked up to my Geek Out V2, driving my AKG K7XX for the sound impressions. 

First things first, I know that the stock tubes aren't said to be great for tube amps coming from the east. However I will comment on the sound with stock tubes and update when I try different tubes. 

These don't have the warm gooey sound that I had imagined. In fact, it has a very clear and clean sound. The AKG K7XX soundstage soundstage sounds larger with this amp than any of my other amps. The elements feel quite spaced out, sounding positively larger than life. Way different than what the Geek Out V2 amplifier sounds. 

The bass sounds a lot more defined and punchier with the TA-03. It has a sense of effortlessness that just helps me melt into my chair while listening to my favourite tracks. The first time I plugged my AKG K7XX into the TA-03 and cued up my favourite Breaking Benjamin album, I had the goofiest grin on my face. The AKG K7XX are finally sounding like what I had imagined they would, as I was initially let down by their soundstage on my solid state amps. The sound is clear, musical and very spread out - positively cavernous.

It gets plenty loud so the lack of a gain option won't be an issue for most as it can handle up to 600 ohms, plus it drives my iems and earbuds just fine. 

I am not sure what else to mention in terms of early impressions - its my first time trying to review an amp. This amp feels like a premium product, its built like a tank and it makes me feel this:

For the full review, I go into much more detail about smaller aspects as I get more used to the amp, but as of now, this amp is my muse.  I find myself very eagerly looking forward to my music listening sessions in a way I haven't before. And for that alone, its worth every penny.

Tube Rolling
I will update this section when I venture into the masochistic fantastic world of tube rolling and update as necessary.

TL;DR - The TA-03 is the boss sauce.

More info can be found out at xDuoo. These can also be purchased at Penon Audio.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 64
Great stuff Tamal. Subbed!

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 64
  While xDuoo may be well known for their X3 DAP and XD-05 DAC/Amplifier, they also have a series of tube amplifiers, TA-03 being their flagship model. The TA-03 is an all in one solution, a tube amp packing a 24Bit/192Khz USB Dac. 

Here are some tidbits from the official product page:

General
This amp is very versatile in terms of what its capable of and how it can be used. For example, if you have the USB DAC connected to your computer, you can have the RCA line in act as a line out, allowing you to add a different amp to be used with the DAC.  

It has plenty of power to drive even my most demanding cans AND it can drive my iems without issue, adding to its versatility. It utilizes a 12AU7 tube for pre-amp and 6C19 tubes tubes for each channel.

The TA-03 is built to high exacting standards and positively exudes premium build quality. Its built like a tank and has a good heft to it, despite its relatively smaller size. The outside panels fit together perfectly, the knobs are not loose nor too tight. The volume indicators are nice and bright, making it easy to control volume easily. It really is a quality piece of kit, quite the looker!

Sound impressions 
I have it hooked up to my Geek Out V2, driving my AKG K7XX for the sound impressions. 

First things first, I know that the stock tubes aren't said to be great for tube amps coming from the east. However I will comment on the sound with stock tubes and update when I try different tubes. 

These don't have the warm gooey sound that I had imagined. In fact, it has a very clear and clean sound. The AKG K7XX soundstage soundstage sounds larger with this amp than any of my other amps. The elements feel quite spaced out, sounding positively larger than life. Way different than what the Geek Out V2 amplifier sounds. 

The bass sounds a lot more defined and punchier with the TA-03. It has a sense of effortlessness that just helps me melt into my chair while listening to my favourite tracks. The first time I plugged my AKG K7XX into the TA-03 and cued up my favourite Breaking Benjamin album, I had the goofiest grin on my face. The AKG K7XX are finally sounding like what I had imagined they would, as I was initially let down by their soundstage on my solid state amps. The sound is clear, musical and very spread out - positively cavernous.

It gets plenty loud so the lack of a gain option won't be an issue for most as it can handle up to 600 ohms, plus it drives my iems and earbuds just fine. 

I am not sure what else to mention in terms of early impressions - its my first time trying to review an amp. This amp feels like a premium product, its built like a tank and it makes me feel this:

For the full review, I go into much more detail about smaller aspects as I get more used to the amp, but as of now, this amp is my muse.  I find myself very eagerly looking forward to my music listening sessions in a way I haven't before. And for that alone, its worth every penny.

Tube Rolling
I will update this section when I venture into the masochistic fantastic world of tube rolling and update as necessary.

TL;DR - The TA-03 is the boss sauce.

More info can be found out at xDuoo. These can also be purchased at Penon Audio.

Nice Tamal, you are going to have fun in the tube world
biggrin.gif
So in the words of Lone Star and Barf, Red John has gone "Transdimentional Space Goat" on us eh
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 64
  Great stuff Tamal. Subbed!

Thanks bud, this tube amp stuff is pretty addicting :p

Nice Tamal, you are going to have fun in the tube world
biggrin.gif
So in the words of Lone Star and Barf, Red John has gone "Transdimentional Space Goat" on us eh
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Yeah no kidding, I had no idea they would be this much fun. I kind of regret not giving them a try earlier!  For sure, this amp has made an honest transdimensional space goat out of me 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 64
  Just curious, where's the vol. set at your comfortable listening range?

this is the weird part, but the rate at which volume increases is the not the same for each headphone. For AKG K7XX I dont need to go past 10 o clock, but for a sensitive iem I can go past that or near and only get a comfortable volume.

Is it possible it detects the load and changes it accordingly?

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 64
A logarithmic pot. and headphone impedance/sensitivity will have an effect on that. With my X2 I will barely reach 9 o clock, but the Havi can get to 10. Of course I'm also using an attenuation adapter otherwise IEMs wold be unusable with my amp.

I was just thinking without your amp having a low gain setting you might have a very small usable volume range. Luckily that doesn't seem like that's the case. Might have to consider one of these for the future

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 64
Given my recent experience with my humble and inexpensive Little Bear P2-1 (upgraded Tubes and OPAMP), i'm quite impressed by tube amps. And my Xduoo X3 also put XDuoo in my radar. Too bad they don't use the same tubes :frowning2:

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 64
  Luckily my Little Bear P1 does use 12au7 tubes so I have a couple lying round - another incentive for me to look at the Xduoo

Not to mention it's a great looking amp and Tamal says it sounds SCWEEEEET
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 64
OK. Stupid rookie question then…
How much of a difference in SQ do you get between a hybrid and full glass amp? The impressions I've gotten so far seem to be that the preamp tubes (12au7/6dj8 in my case) account for a big chunk of the "tube sound". How much more tubey (tubely, tubular) does having power tubes make things? Am I currently stuck being a "Unidimensional Space Goat"

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 64
@RedJohn456: received my Little Dot I+ today. Left a first impression in the chinese thread. All I can say is that I get why you'd want a tube amp............

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 64
How much of a difference in SQ do you get between a hybrid and full glass amp? The impressions I've gotten so far seem to be that the preamp tubes (12au7/6dj8 in my case) account for a big chunk of the "tube sound". How much more tubey (tubely, tubular) does having power tubes make things? Am I currently stuck being a "Unidimensional Space Goat"

Hey Trevor, usually on hybrid's the output stage is SS and not like full on tube compliment!

So, congrats to Anticute and nothing decay's like tube output
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 64

Hey Trevor, usually on hybrid's the output stage is SS and not like full on tube compliment!

beerchug.gif

I do know that, just wondering if power tubes have as big of an effect on the "tube" sound as just using a preamp tube on a hybrid - I did mention it was a stoopid question
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 64
  Given my recent experience with my humble and inexpensive Little Bear P2-1 (upgraded Tubes and OPAMP), i'm quite impressed by tube amps. And my Xduoo X3 also put XDuoo in my radar. Too bad they don't use the same tubes :frowning2:

This is my first tube gig, so I dojnt have much experience but I will say that xDuoo definitely know what they are doing in terms of quality and design and of course sound :)

Luckily my Little Bear P1 does use 12au7 tubes so I have a couple lying round - another incentive for me to look at the Xduoo

Nice! I don't think you will regret it, and its not overly warm as you might think. It has a surprisingly very clean and articulate sound, I bet it would sound right at home with the Fidelio X2 :)

Not to mention it's a great looking amp and Tamal says it sounds SCWEEEEET
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

It is a very sexy piece of gear and it looks very well put together. And yes they sound fantastic, they are my go to amps for everything but my BA hybrid iems. I gotta say that for my solid state news the VE Ra 2.0 is one of the best I have heard. I should get around to making a thread for that as well :wink:

haha unidimensional goat :p  No idea bud, but I think maybe it as to do with how hard you can push the headphones? No idea

@RedJohn456: received my Little Dot I+ today. Left a first impression in the chinese thread. All I can say is that I get why you'd want a tube amp............

Congrats! Will check it out and yes they have a certain charm to them don''t then?

So, congrats to Anticute and nothing decay's like tube output
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Ah okay that makes sense. Man tube amps are a whole different beast aren't they?

I do know that, just wondering if power tubes have as big of an effect on the "tube" sound as just using a preamp tube on a hybrid - I did mention it was a stoopid question
biggrin.gif

Not a stupid question, I am a tube n00b so I am learning a lot too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back