Xduoo Amplifiers
Oct 15, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,771 of 1,989
I’m an Xduoo owner I currently have a TA-10r and I love it! I owned for a short while the TA-30 but had to return it due to a defect. I liked the sound of it a lot, but the AKM DAC is way better when you filter the USB and up res to DSD. What I would love to see is the TA-32 to have to new AKM 4499 chip and some great clocking. I teflon caps would also be a plus. Also if the make it true balanced would be amazing.

I think if they do that it will be an end game combo. if my TA-10r is any indication when you lower digital switching noise which this dac chip does these amps can do amazing things.
From what I’ve seen, the ta-32 will probably have the new es9039pro chip. Implementation is key, but it seems like the 9039 is at least comparable to the 4499ex, and plenty musical.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #1,772 of 1,989
From what I’ve seen, the ta-32 will probably have the new es9039pro chip. Implementation is key, but it seems like the 9039 is at least as good as the 4499ex (if not better), and plenty musical.
I don’t know if the new ESS will have the dual chip layout like the AKM. if it does I think it could compete, but if anybody here has ever used HQPlayer or done DSD upsampling like on iaudiogate it’s something to behold on the 4493, it’s definitely better as a DAC than the TA-30 and I think the TA-32 would be amazing with the new AKM 4499 because of the separation of switching noise from the modulator having to up sample to its native Delta Sigma format. Implementation is key, but this new chip is a game changer.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #1,773 of 1,989
Curious about the TA-20 plus, anybody tried it with the Aryas?

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,775 of 1,989
Any thoughts on using an MT-604 to power a Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary edition (which is more or less a T60RP without the wood cups, measurement and part wise)? I've never used a tube amp before, and I usually hear that lower impedance headphones like the T50 and T60 don't do so well on them, but from what I understand, isn't that just OTL tube amps due to their high output impedance - do 50 ohm headphones like the T50 fare well on hybrid amps?

Also I've heard that some tube amps/some tubes can affect soundstage, is that true and does the MT-604 widen or narrow the stage?

Thanks a ton!

(PS if it's relevant I'm asking about the stock tubes primarily - though obviously I'll play around with others at some point too)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #1,776 of 1,989
Any thoughts on using an MT-604 to power a Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary edition (which is more or less a T60RP without the wood cups, measurement and part wise)? I've never used a tube amp before, and I usually hear that lower impedance headphones like the T50 and T60 don't do so well on them, but from what I understand, isn't that just OTL tube amps due to their high output impedance - do 50 ohm headphones like the T50 fare well on hybrid amps?

Also I've heard that some tube amps/some tubes can affect soundstage, is that true and does the MT-604 widen or narrow the stage?

Thanks a ton!

(PS if it's relevant I'm asking about the stock tubes primarily - though obviously I'll play around with others at some point too)
Solid state is better at amplifying for current, tubes are better as voltage amps. lower impedance headphones need current. OTL for sure have a lack of currant. There are high current tube amps, but not so many as headphone amps. Tubes are IMO the best for soundstage they can have a holographic sound stage and more signal Llnearity due to being high voltage devices. I have several low impedance phones I use hybrid like my Xduoo TA-10r. if you want to amplify headphones like yours with all tubes a tube speaker amp would be the best fit. musical paradise makes a nice one that about $400 and has six watts of tube power. that would be a good fit.

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,777 of 1,989
I have to say I am impressed with the TA-20+.
After a month of using it with Amperex 12au7 tubes I can't fault it. (Not that the stock tubes were bad. I just had the Amperex around from before and Tubewin reckons Apos may be better still.)
Everything from Shure SRH840A (unbelievable) to Heddphone1 (the reason I got it) and the HD800S and HE1000SE inbetween sound at their best.
I'm now wondering whether to change the rectifier tube also.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #1,778 of 1,989
So I'm considering getting one of XDUOO's amps, as I want to give tubes a test. Don't want to go full in on tubes yet, so I want to spend as little as possible, and still get a decent sound.
The availability of XDUOO is high in my area and the prices are good.
I've been considering these e options:

1 TA 20 Plus for around 650 euro, new.
2 TA 22 for around 600 euro, new.
3 TA 26 for around 215 euro, used.

For my headphones the TA 22 is most like the best choice, but I'm concerned that I won't get the full "tube experience", since this is a hybrid. How much does the tubes even effect the sound here, compared to full blown tube amplifiers?
The used TA 26 seems like a great way to check out tubes for a low cost, but is it any good?
The TA 20 is the most expensive option, is it worth it?

Any input is very welcome 😊

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #1,779 of 1,989
So I'm considering getting one of XDUOO's amps, as I want to give tubes a test. Don't want to go full in on tubes yet, so I want to spend as little as possible, and still get a decent sound.

For my headphones the TA 22 is most like the best choice, but I'm concerned that I won't get the full "tube experience", since this is a hybrid. How much does the tubes even effect the sound here, compared to full blown tube amplifiers?
The used TA 26 seems like a great way to check out tubes for a low cost, but is it any good?

Im using the TA-22. I swap to RCA Clear top and I'm set already. I feel that the RCA clear top open up the soundstage and sounds more musical. The original tubes sound more bassy to me. But you are watching movie, the original tubes may be suitable for you. the gunshots in the movie hit me hard lol.

I tried other tubes such as electro-harmonix and general electric. I still like RCA clear top though. Both these tubes sound very similar to RCA but somehow I feel RCA Clear top still have the edge over them. Probably my personal preference.

I havent tried other expensive tubes, I just stopped at RCA clear top. If you got the budget, probably go try the apos ray tubes?

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,780 of 1,989

I have several tube amps of various kinds and I think the Xduoo stuff holds their own. Their solid state sounds very good since it’s class A, I’m actually shocked that their stuff doesn’t sound very solid state like at all. I think if you get their newest amps they will sound great for you.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,781 of 1,989
Im using the TA-22. I swap to RCA Clear top and I'm set already. I feel that the RCA clear top open up the soundstage and sounds more musical. The original tubes sound more bassy to me. But you are watching movie, the original tubes may be suitable for you. the gunshots in the movie hit me hard lol.

I tried other tubes such as electro-harmonix and general electric. I still like RCA clear top though. Both these tubes sound very similar to RCA but somehow I feel RCA Clear top still have the edge over them. Probably my personal preference.

I havent tried other expensive tubes, I just stopped at RCA clear top. If you got the budget, probably go try the apos ray tubes?
Great information on the tubes, thanks a lot. The TA-22 was the amp that got me interested in XDUOO in the first place, and will most likely be the optimal choice for my headphones. However, I'm just a bit concerned that hybrid amps won't tell me the full story on how tube amps can sound.
Ha e you tried any fully tube amps?

I have several tube amps of various kinds and I think the Xduoo stuff holds their own. Their solid state sounds very good since it’s class A, I’m actually shocked that their stuff doesn’t sound very solid state like at all. I think if you get their newest amps they will sound great for you.
Thanks a lot 👍
Do you feel there is a big difference between a hybrid amp and a full tube amp?

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #1,782 of 1,989
Great information on the tubes, thanks a lot. The TA-22 was the amp that got me interested in XDUOO in the first place, and will most likely be the optimal choice for my headphones. However, I'm just a bit concerned that hybrid amps won't tell me the full story on how tube amps can sound.
Ha e you tried any fully tube amps?

Thanks a lot 👍
Do you feel there is a big difference between a hybrid amp and a full tube amp?

Unfortunately, I only have the hybrid tube amp. The reason i chose TA-22 was for the convenience. Dac and amp in 1 and compact. I couldnt get a separate DAC and tube amp due to space constraint.

I can only tell that TA-22 does have some tube favor in it. I have used the Ifi Hip Dac 2 before using TA-22. Feel that using TA-22 has slightly more sound stage. The sound edges sounds more smoother than using a Solid State that you can hear sharp edges (more clear). For solid state, the bass will be more punchier than TA-22. TA-22 is still punchy, slightly less punchy but with a slight added bass bloom.

Edit: If you can wait, probably wanna wait for TA-32?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,783 of 1,989

The TA-22 is not just a headamp. It includes a DAC. You may or may not want that.
The TA-26 is an OTL tube amp. It may not play well with planars due to their low impedance.
The TA-20+is a hybrid amp. It will play well with ortho-dynamic and planar phones.

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,784 of 1,989

With the Xduoo hybrid I don’t feel you give much up, a lot of hybrid and solid state tend to loose imaging and harmonic complexity, roll of the top end and have texture not having a tube amp section, these amps don’t nor do they suffer from reaching a ceiling where they distort like shattering glass like many SS amps do. I have owned the TA-30 and TA-10r and these don’t have any glare. They aren’t the final word in tube performance, but with the cryo Gold lion 12U7 I got from upscale audio the 10r holds its own for sure, it leans slightly warm, but with analytical headphones like I own it sounds really good and has a lit from within character with great resolution and lots of current to drive my lower impedance headphones.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,785 of 1,989
Unfortunately, I only have the hybrid tube amp. The reason i chose TA-22 was for the convenience. Dac and amp in 1 and compact. I couldnt get a separate DAC and tube amp due to space constraint.

I can only tell that TA-22 does have some tube favor in it. I have used the Ifi Hip Dac 2 before using TA-22. Feel that using TA-22 has slightly more sound stage. The sound edges sounds more smoother than using a Solid State that you can hear sharp edges (more clear). For solid state, the bass will be more punchier than TA-22. TA-22 is still punchy, slightly less punchy but with a slight added bass bloom.

Edit: If you can wait, probably wanna wait for TA-32?
Again, great feedback, I really appreciate it :)
I'm not that interested in the DAC in the TA-22 as I have a few seperate DAC's already. The main reason I'm considering the 22, is because it has the solid state amp, that should do better with the lower impedance headphones, as far as I've read.
And with the feedback you are providing, it might be the best choice, as I was mostly concerned that I would not hear the tube part much, compared to a full tube amp.
Haven't heard about the TA-32, has it been officially announced yet?

The TA-22 is not just a headamp. It includes a DAC. You may or may not want that.
The TA-26 is an OTL tube amp. It may not play well with planars due to their low impedance.
The TA-20+is a hybrid amp. It will play well with ortho-dynamic and planar phones.
I assume I can bypass the DAC in the TA-22? I don't need it, I'm mostly as it is also a hybrid amp.
I'm aware that OTL's are not optimal for my planar's, but I'm hoping it will do okay with my higher impedance DT770/990 headphones?
I didn't notice that the TA-20+ was a hybrid as well, as it has 2 different size tubes, which I actually thought meant that it was an OTL. Still a lot to learn for me :)

With the Xduoo hybrid I don’t feel you give much up, a lot of hybrid and solid state tend to loose imaging and harmonic complexity, roll of the top end and have texture not having a tube amp section, these amps don’t nor do they suffer from reaching a ceiling where they distort like shattering glass like many SS amps do. I have owned the TA-30 and TA-10r and these don’t have any glare. They aren’t the final word in tube performance, but with the cryo Gold lion 12U7 I got from upscale audio the 10r holds its own for sure, it leans slightly warm, but with analytical headphones like I own it sounds really good and has a lit from within character with great resolution and lots of current to drive my lower impedance headphones.
That's great to hear, guess I should not be too scared of the hybrid models then. That opens up a lot of possibilities, and I'll look more into the TA - 20, 22 & 30 👌

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back