Xduoo Amplifiers
Jan 3, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #301 of 2,008
So far the TA-20 with RCA 5963 black plates seems to be a perfect match to the HE5XX. The combination definitely punches way above its price - my first impression was that I was listening to $1000 planars on a high-end amp.

I've found the HE5XX to be quite amp dependent - depending on the amp they can be anything from borderline endgame to mediocre. Even just changing the tubes on the TA-20 to RCA 12au7 cleartop side d getters had a pretty significant effect on the sound, and not a great one - though it was still better than any other amp I tried them on. On Vincent KHV-111 tube hybrid, Parasound Zdac's headphone amp, Schiit Magni, JDS O2 & Atom, drop 789, and SMSL SP200 the 5XX wasn't great. Only on the TA-20 and Topping NX4DSD the headphones really came alive. Huge recommendation to any 5XX owners - get a TA-20 with decent tubes.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #303 of 2,008
Huge recommendation to any 5XX owners - get a TA-20 with decent tubes.
Hello everyone!
Sow-uh... I've only just slipped into the rabbithole along with the bloody apneademic so I'm by no means experienced yet, especially on tube amplifiers!
I've got the TA-20 on sale on BF because I wanted to start digging tube sound, but I really don't know where to start from with so many tubes to choose from...

What I'm looking for over the stock ones is a better S/N ratio - because yes, @arBalsekar, the amp has a relevant noise floor - a more spacious soundstage and good bass slam that the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX which would love.
Not all of the previous feats need to be achieved together of course... There's probably tubes which benefit one over the other.
A little advice to get me oriented would be lovely, and thanks in advance!

Edit: Couple of important things I forgot to ask... Where do you suggest to shop for tubes in the EU?
How much would you suggest to get matched pairs for the extra cost?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #304 of 2,008
Before 31. December, I would have said Langrex...

Tube Amp Doctor here in Germany are also a reliable source.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #306 of 2,008
I just went on ebay with the recommendations I got from this thread, and the Schiit Lyr 3 tube rollers thread, and found two great pairs for less than 100€ overall. Especially the RCA 5963 black plates are absolutely amazing.

As for noise, I had an audible hiss with stock tubes but that was easily solved with aftermarket tubes. I can't recommend tube rolling enough - the stock chinese tubes really hold the TA-20 back.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #307 of 2,008
I got my JJ and Mullard tubes for my TA-20 and they both sound better than the stock tubes but I don't hear too much of a difference between them. The Mullard tubes might sound just a touch cleaner and the JJ's are a little warmer but the difference is very small. I'm thinking of getting these GE tubes I've heard are very good but I'm going to wait for a while so I can really get the feel for these after I've put more hours on them.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #309 of 2,008
I just had my TA-20 go into protect mode with that little red light flashing. I thought it had something to do with my cables because I was changing them and after I turned it back on it happened but it turns out it was the tubes that went out, either one which is what I'm guessing or maybe both. As soon as I switched them out it was all good but I only had the tubes for a little over a week and that sucks because I really enjoyed how they sounded, but the 2 Mullard's I have in now sounds good as well. I was planning on getting a few more eventually but I guess I'll go ahead and do it sooner.

It's been a few hours and I ended up seeing a review for some NOS GE military stock 12AU7 for sale that seems to be really good and I sure hope so at $100 for 2. The Mullard's I'm using now does sound very nice and I'm hoping the GE tubes sound even better. Tube rolling is a lot of fun because you can get subtle changes to the signature from tube to tube and I love that.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #310 of 2,008
It's been a few hours and I ended up seeing a review for some NOS GE military stock 12AU7 for sale that seems to be really good and I sure hope so at $100 for 2. The Mullard's I'm using now does sound very nice and I'm hoping the GE tubes sound even better. Tube rolling is a lot of fun because you can get subtle changes to the signature from tube to tube and I love that.
Really sorry for your tube(s) passing away this soon, Bubba!
Sucks big time indeed.

I'm really enjoying the way my TA-20 sounds even with stock tubes on high-impedance 'phones (from FLAC > thru HQPlayer > M200...), but went on pulled the trigger on a pair of matched '50s RCA blackplates and some other... er... rather random 12au7's that tickled me, landing next week on my porch.
* Baby Rollin' *
Can't wait to fully understand that fun of experincing different sound imprints you mentioned... And hoping to keep this thread alive with impressions.
Unless I missed others taking this one over, that is. =)

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #311 of 2,008
I have never used any tube amp before and would really appreciate for any expert opinion here if the the newly released XDUOO MT-602 can be a good tube pre-amp...
https://www.xduoo.net/product/mt-602/

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #312 of 2,008
Seems like I want to buy xduoo TA-20 for my Hifiman Ananda, but I can't try it before buying. Did anyone listened to this combination? I'm curious if there is any hiss / background noise?

I've been using the Ananda with the TA-20 and a pair of Philips NOS tubes. Sounds sublime. When I first got the Ananda I demoed it in the store on an Ayon tube amp which sounded marvelous. Got them home and didn't sound as good on the amps I had. Was a bit light at the bottom, and a bit too much energy up top for my taste. All that is good now though. More weight and the top has been reigned in a bit without loosing the airiness and subtle details.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #314 of 2,008
I've been using the Ananda with the TA-20 and a pair of Philips NOS tubes. Sounds sublime. When I first got the Ananda I demoed it in the store on an Ayon tube amp which sounded marvelous. Got them home and didn't sound as good on the amps I had. Was a bit light at the bottom, and a bit too much energy up top for my taste. All that is good now though. More weight and the top has been reigned in a bit without loosing the airiness and subtle details.
Am considering a Hybrid amp as well for my Ananda and both the Cavalli CTH and TA-20 are on my radar, any ideas about the CTH mating ? maybe you tried it before deciding on TA-20 ? are you using balanced input and output ?

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #315 of 2,008
I purchased a used TA-20 some time ago and every time I think about upgrading to a different amp, I question why I need an upgrade.
The TA-20 has been one of the most enjoyable inexpensive purchases I've made in this hobby in a long time and I don't feel that it does a disservice to my planars in any way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back