Xduoo Amplifiers
Mar 3, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #181 of 1,987
I need an advice please.
My xDuoo's TA-20 red protect light started flashing today. No sound. Turned the amp on/off couple of times, in vain. Changed the tubes Lt-Rt and it's working fine again.
Background: those are new Amperex tubes, got them yesterday. Played back 12-14 hours non-stop to burn them in. Never happened with the 3 other pair of tubes I have.

I'd appreciate any advice how to avoid this in future.

Also I tend to keep TA-20 on all the time, even when not playing back music on it. Should I switch it off when I'm not listening to it?

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #182 of 1,987
Tubes have a limited lifespan so turning them off when not in use for long periods is probably advisable. If I am out of town for the week, I power mine down. Having said that, I don't turn mine off every night as I think it makes little difference overall and tubes do take time to warm up. My advice would be if it won't be used for several days power it down, otherwise enjoy it and just know that tubes are consumables and sooner or later will need replacement regardless of whether the device is left on or not.

As for the protect light, that can be a indicator of over-heating and may be that those same tubes will work when the device has time to cool, or it may be that one of the tubes has an issue. Just for sake of argument, I'd get a pair of inexpensive 12au7s (organ tubes are great for this) and then put in one of the amperex and one of the cheap ones and see if it works. Don't worry about channel balance etc, just whether it works. switch sockets with those same two tubes and try again. Then do the same set of experiments with the other amperex tube and the cheap one. That should help identify which tube or which socket is at issue. It may not cure the problem, but it should help narrow it down considerably.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #183 of 1,987
My xDuoo's TA-20 red protect light started flashing today. No sound.
I had similar problem with the Protect light. Only I had it right when I first got my unit. At one moment I was able to overcome this by adjusting tubes in their sockets, but every other time I turned my TA20 on it wasn't working, and I had to repeat this annoying tube adjusting procedure. Turned out my unit was faulty. I had to send it back to the Aliexpress seller, and they had Xduoo repair it. It was a major pain.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #184 of 1,987
Tubes have a limited lifespan so turning them off when not in use for long periods is probably advisable. If I am out of town for the week, I power mine down. Having said that, I don't turn mine off every night as I think it makes little difference overall and tubes do take time to warm up. My advice would be if it won't be used for several days power it down, otherwise enjoy it and just know that tubes are consumables and sooner or later will need replacement regardless of whether the device is left on or not.

As for the protect light, that can be a indicator of over-heating and may be that those same tubes will work when the device has time to cool, or it may be that one of the tubes has an issue. Just for sake of argument, I'd get a pair of inexpensive 12au7s (organ tubes are great for this) and then put in one of the amperex and one of the cheap ones and see if it works. Don't worry about channel balance etc, just whether it works. switch sockets with those same two tubes and try again. Then do the same set of experiments with the other amperex tube and the cheap one. That should help identify which tube or which socket is at issue. It may not cure the problem, but it should help narrow it down considerably.
I'd like to thank you for your tube rolling article for TA-20. I bought the Amperex pair after reading it. The Amperex achieved the sound I crave - wide 3D soundstage with warmth and bass.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #185 of 1,987
I'd like to thank you for your tube rolling article for TA-20. I bought the Amperex pair after reading it. The Amperex achieved the sound I crave - wide 3D soundstage with warmth and bass.

I'm glad you found it useful, I do think tube rolling is under appreciated for the differences it can make in the overall sound and there are lots of great tubes out there that don't have to cost a ton to get into it.

W

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #186 of 1,987
Good read here everyone thank you! Currently my setup is extremely sterile in regards to my HD800S and I’ve been exploring the TA-20 as my first tube amp as well as the for sale market here.

EL Dac is what I am using and a JDS Atom. My target is widest sound stage, warmer sound, no loss of detail and it’s huge for me not to lose imaging as I can get that from my T1 Version 2. With this DAC, Sylvanian tubes mentioned? Thoughts on if I should go for this or hang out on the FS side of the forums for a bit until I see something more fitting (historically) in my price range for the HD800/S? Is the TA-20 punching above its weight class in price compared to other tube amps? I’m more of a buy once cry once mindset but always looking for a gem. I was trying hard to track down a ZDT Jr as that seemed like a solid fit and for a good price. Was not wanting to go over a thousand

Any experiences where this is preferred over more tenured brands that have been loved for that tube magic you’ve preferred the TA-20?

Silly question, if I run RCA in from DAC I can use balanced out to headphones correct? Thanks again all.

The TA-30 would have been my first choice but not going that high considering the used market and not knowing much about the brand.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #187 of 1,987
Good read here everyone thank you! Currently my setup is extremely sterile in regards to my HD800S and I’ve been exploring the TA-20 as my first tube amp as well as the for sale market here.

EL Dac is what I am using and a JDS Atom. My target is widest sound stage, warmer sound, no loss of detail and it’s huge for me not to lose imaging as I can get that from my T1 Version 2. With this DAC, Sylvanian tubes mentioned? Thoughts on if I should go for this or hang out on the FS side of the forums for a bit until I see something more fitting (historically) in my price range for the HD800/S? Is the TA-20 punching above its weight class in price compared to other tube amps? I’m more of a buy once cry once mindset but always looking for a gem. I was trying hard to track down a ZDT Jr as that seemed like a solid fit and for a good price. Was not wanting to go over a thousand

Any experiences where this is preferred over more tenured brands that have been loved for that tube magic you’ve preferred the TA-20?

Silly question, if I run RCA in from DAC I can use balanced out to headphones correct? Thanks again all.

The TA-30 would have been my first choice but not going that high considering the used market and not knowing much about the brand.

Your best bet is to hit several meets or shows and audition as much as possible. If that isnt an option, make sure you buy from a dealer with a liberal return policy.

Ta-30 doesn't have balanced output either - the only headphone out is a standard 1/4 inch single ended jack. If you want balanced, I think the Ta-20 is easily the most cost effective option as most inexpensive tube amps don't offer balanced output. Bottlehead for example, the Mainline is their balanced design at $1300 while the crack is single ended and starts about about $350 In the Schitt line, you hit the Mjolnir before you have tubes and balanced output. On the solid state side, things like the THX amps are also worth auditioning.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #188 of 1,987
... Silly question, if I run RCA in from DAC I can use balanced out to headphones correct? ...
Yes you can run RCA in from the DAC and listen to the balanced out. This is what I used to do before buying my SMSL SU-8. Fully balanced setup however sounds better to me, especially the soundstage.
20191107_153120c.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #189 of 1,987
Yes you can run RCA in from the DAC and listen to the balanced out. This is what I used to do before buying my SMSL SU-8. Fully balanced setup however sounds better to me, especially the soundstage.
20191107_153120c.jpg

With the SMSL SU-8 what Enhancement options do you have under "properties"? If you right click on speaker, open volume mixer, click on the device (not sure how it would be labeled, probably Speakers") and choose enhancements. What all do you see in there? What driver is the SMSL 8 using? I have one massive issue with my EL DAC but I believe it may be a few pieces of software specifically or Win 10 64 1909 problem. Everything is pretty great in general with it. Did a complete rebuild and so on but wouldn't mind at all trying another DAC.

My motherboard has the ESS9118 how does this compare to the SMSL ES9038Q2M? My board has WIMA and Nichicon gold caps and its not bad at all quite honestly but the EL DAC seems clearer.

Unfortunately the way I have had to have it set up due to an application is through optical from board to EL DAC to Amp. This is why I am inquiring about the drivers and options on SMSL. I need Loudness Equalization with that specific application. I am trying to get an answer on how the digital audio stream is handled from the vendor but this means it needs to see an engineer or developer and well... that may or may not ever happen. I have a workaround though with different driver but it should not be this way at all.

I received my TA-20 today!! It was $250 but open box. I am just really really hoping its good to go and was told it was like new. Fingers crossed, I'll be setting it up soon.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #190 of 1,987
Just received my first tubes ..

IMG_20200314_175734.jpg

Any good recommdations on better tubes over the default ones? The default tubes are pairing with HE-4XX, TakStar HF580 and DT880 Pro. What I'm looking for are tubes which can give me good bass, soundstage and clear mid and high. No audiophile here, just general listening of songs from the 50s till 70s.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #191 of 1,987
Just received my first tubes ..

IMG_20200314_175734.jpg

Any good recommdations on better tubes over the default ones? The default tubes are pairing with HE-4XX, TakStar HF580 and DT880 Pro. What I'm looking for are tubes which can give me good bass, soundstage and clear mid and high. No audiophile here, just general listening of songs from the 50s till 70s.

The Ta-03s has a lot of good choices for the pre-amp tube, but not as many options for the power tubes. I wrote up my tube rolling experience with it.
https://audiofool.reviews/tube-rolling-the-xduoo-ta-03s/

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #192 of 1,987
With the SMSL SU-8 what Enhancement options do you have under "properties"? If you right click on speaker, open volume mixer, click on the device (not sure how it would be labeled, probably Speakers") and choose enhancements. What all do you see in there? What driver is the SMSL 8 using? I have one massive issue with my EL DAC but I believe it may be a few pieces of software specifically or Win 10 64 1909 problem. Everything is pretty great in general with it. Did a complete rebuild and so on but wouldn't mind at all trying another DAC.

My motherboard has the ESS9118 how does this compare to the SMSL ES9038Q2M? My board has WIMA and Nichicon gold caps and its not bad at all quite honestly but the EL DAC seems clearer.

Unfortunately the way I have had to have it set up due to an application is through optical from board to EL DAC to Amp. This is why I am inquiring about the drivers and options on SMSL. I need Loudness Equalization with that specific application. I am trying to get an answer on how the digital audio stream is handled from the vendor but this means it needs to see an engineer or developer and well... that may or may not ever happen. I have a workaround though with different driver but it should not be this way at all.

I received my TA-20 today!! It was $250 but open box. I am just really really hoping its good to go and was told it was like new. Fingers crossed, I'll be setting it up soon.
I don't have SMSL SU-8 anymore. I don't know if there are any Enhancements under Sound Properties, and I have never needed any. It doesn't need any drivers but if you wish you can download an XMOS driver from here http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?p=1. I feeded TA-20 via ASIO in foobar2000 (highlighted selection):
200315 smsl asio.jpg
I have never used optical output with SMSL SU-8. I didn't have to. USB DAC worked flawlessly and the resulting sound was nothing less than divine.

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #193 of 1,987
I'm considering NOS Brimar CV4003 for xDuoo TA-20. Anyone have any experience with this setup?
The chain is Bifrost 2 - xDuoo TA-20 - Ananda (mainly) or Verite open. I'm looking for a great sound stage without sacrificing smoothness and low end too much.
I saw the guide on early post but it doesn't say much about sound stage and imaging properties of the tubes.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #194 of 1,987
I've got a few Brimar 12au7 types and generally they are a very solid tube, not quite as warm as a Mullard but not as clinical as the Telefunken can sound. Overall a good compromise tube. They tend to be similar to the Amperex which is another favorite but both are climbing in price.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #195 of 1,987
I've got a few Brimar 12au7 types and generally they are a very solid tube, not quite as warm as a Mullard but not as clinical as the Telefunken can sound. Overall a good compromise tube. They tend to be similar to the Amperex which is another favorite but both are climbing in price.
How is the sound stage compared to stock? I’m looking for widest sound stage but not wanting to spend a fortune (frontlines fighting covid 19 so who knows if I’ll have much time to enjoy it or quite honestly what the future holds) and exactly where people are buying these.

As an aside, I’ve refrained from commenting without really spending time putting it through the paces, not that my opinion matters but I really like TA-20. This thing is a massive sleeper and I feel that is an understatement. I’m not trying to sell it but super happy I have one.

Amazing how some people do not like tubes and others love them. Is there data or a study regarding hearing capabilities and what a person is capable of hearing with tubes? Maybe it’s just the added distortion on otherwise overly analytical headphones? I know with my Beyerdynamic T1.2 it’s amazing regardless of amp. HD800S definitely prefers tubes to my ears but great regardless and can be dependent on what media I’m listening too.

I swear if this had a different name it’d have taken off more than it has based on what I’m seeing. Darkvoice sounds cool. Atom sounds cool. TA-20 is fine but Xduoo sounds like hot turds. Crazy how much that matters but it really does imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back