Xduoo Amplifiers
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #166 of 1,989
I bought a new to me TA-20 last night. I will compare it to my Vali 2 and keep the winner.
The TA-20 looks cooler, has more power and is balanced.
The Vali 2 has a huge following and a pretty good track record.

It will be interesting.

Shane D

Having had both, prepare to sell the Vali.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #167 of 1,989
Having had both, prepare to sell the Vali.

Honestly, I am looking for "tubey" or at least "tube like". I like my Vali 2 but it sounds like a nice SS amp to me. My Cavalli LCX sounds "tubier" to me. I get that a hybrid will not do Exactly what I want, but with all my HP's being around 32 Ohm, I am limited in my choices. And I am not going to spend hundreds on tubes for a cheap amp, hoping that I can change it's sound substantially.

So far Shenzhen is really impressing me with the SMSL SU-8 and the SMSL SP200. Hopefully I'll be 3 for 3.:relaxed:

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #168 of 1,989
Honestly, I am looking for "tubey" or at least "tube like". I like my Vali 2 but it sounds like a nice SS amp to me. My Cavalli LCX sounds "tubier" to me. I get that a hybrid will not do Exactly what I want, but with all my HP's being around 32 Ohm, I am limited in my choices. And I am not going to spend hundreds on tubes for a cheap amp, hoping that I can change it's sound substantially.

So far Shenzhen is really impressing me with the SMSL SU-8 and the SMSL SP200. Hopefully I'll be 3 for 3.:relaxed:

Shane D

If you really want tube warmth from the Ta-20, I recommend either the Mullard or the Sylvania black-plate 12au7s. Mullards will be a bit more tubey but at a bit higher price. The Sylvania will usually go in the $15-20 per tube in matched pairs and are a great inexpensive option.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #169 of 1,989
If you really want tube warmth from the Ta-20, I recommend either the Mullard or the Sylvania black-plate 12au7s. Mullards will be a bit more tubey but at a bit higher price. The Sylvania will usually go in the $15-20 per tube in matched pairs and are a great inexpensive option.

That would be a very affordable option if it gets me where I want to go. Thanks!

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #170 of 1,989
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #171 of 1,989
Would these be good ones?
Mullard 12AU7, Matched Pair https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079SXZ5Y7/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.16hEbYNHB200

Shane D

No, those are current re-issue tubes made at the Reflector plant in Russia and don't have the same tone as the earlier British made tubes. Sorry should have mentioned that the current made ones are Mullard in name only and not really in quality or tone. Here is a better example: and no I'm not suggesting you buy them from here, just that these are what you are looking for : https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULLARD-WE...449710?hash=item469c16c92e:g:HsAAAOSw4RNdZVc9

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #172 of 1,989
The TA-20 amp went on Drop to day for $296.00.

Shane D

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #174 of 1,989
I got a new toy today.

IMG_1017.JPG

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #175 of 1,989
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #176 of 1,989
I got lucky and Xtenik sent me one in exchange for doing some tube rolling and reviewing of it. It is early in my listening for sure but first impressions are:

Best Xduoo product for sound quality to date, very clean sounding and tons of detail. So much so that trading the internal dac for the Burson Swing with the upgraded discrete op-amps is a very minor upgrade.
The thing is a beast in the amp section. I had to set Foobar to -10db to have enough usable range of volume adjustment for things like the Cascades, the He560 is at 80dB at about 20% on the volume knob and even the vaunted He6 needs a bit less than 50% to be at a comfortable listening level. I popped a Sylvania 5193 (milspec 5u4gb) in the rectifier position and ran some tests to look at output power. It measured 3.2 Watts output with a 32Ohm load and was still over 1 Watt output with a 300 Ohm load.

I have at least 9 different 5u4g or 5u4gb tubes I am going to roll through it and a couple of pairs of 12au7s for that part of the testing (Telefunken ribbed plates and Mullard M8136 as these two are classically the best of the 12au7s) that should give a pretty clear picture of how sag in the rectifier is impacting sound of the amp. I also have my normal assortment of 15 different 12au7 pairs to roll through and take some listening notes on. Probably be mid February before the tube rolling article is published as I have a few 100 hours of listening to do.

W

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #177 of 1,989
I got lucky and Xtenik sent me one in exchange for doing some tube rolling and reviewing of it. It is early in my listening for sure but first impressions are:

Best Xduoo product for sound quality to date, very clean sounding and tons of detail. So much so that trading the internal dac for the Burson Swing with the upgraded discrete op-amps is a very minor upgrade.
The thing is a beast in the amp section. I had to set Foobar to -10db to have enough usable range of volume adjustment for things like the Cascades, the He560 is at 80dB at about 20% on the volume knob and even the vaunted He6 needs a bit less than 50% to be at a comfortable listening level. I popped a Sylvania 5193 (milspec 5u4gb) in the rectifier position and ran some tests to look at output power. It measured 3.2 Watts output with a 32Ohm load and was still over 1 Watt output with a 300 Ohm load.

I have at least 9 different 5u4g or 5u4gb tubes I am going to roll through it and a couple of pairs of 12au7s for that part of the testing (Telefunken ribbed plates and Mullard M8136 as these two are classically the best of the 12au7s) that should give a pretty clear picture of how sag in the rectifier is impacting sound of the amp. I also have my normal assortment of 15 different 12au7 pairs to roll through and take some listening notes on. Probably be mid February before the tube rolling article is published as I have a few 100 hours of listening to do.

W

Cooling looking amp, but I don't need a DAC or Bluetooth. And that price is WAY out of my range.

However, I look forward to reading your review. Especially as it compares to the TA-20.:thumbsup:

Shane D

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #179 of 1,989
Feb 11, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #180 of 1,989
Finished up my review of the Ta-30 and a ton of tube rolling on it. it is a beast with over 2 watts into a 150Ohm load in my tests. Powers the He6 with plenty of headroom too. Overall, it is impressive. Review will be up here probably next week, but is on my site now https://audiofool.reviews/2020/02/10/xduoo-ta-30/
The tube rolling article will remain on my site only as the 10k limit here and table problems make it too much effort to move.
https://audiofool.reviews/tube-rolling-the-xduoo-ta-30/

Hope you enjoy reading it and the tube notes help some of you who get one.

W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back