Xduoo Amplifiers
Nov 14, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #752 of 1,989
it is my first serious tube amplifier after the loxjie p20, I am not an expert on tubes and I do not know from Italy which site to buy, I will try ebay
Be careful with ebay...
But if you're from Italy you can buy easily from France. If you want I'll tell you where I've bought mine.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #753 of 1,989
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #755 of 1,989
Nov 15, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #757 of 1,989
What is the difference between the Mullard 12AU7 reissues and the originals?
still is the price high for the Mullard 12AU7 reissues?
Reissue differences vary, due to previous manufacturing equipment availability for duplication, assembly / manufacturing techniques available for reference, jigs and automation available to repopulate the line, and materials / coatings available - and investment used to recreate the product(s). It may take them years to get the right mix of materials and techniques - and training of new workers - to get the best product.

To me the reissues are capable and certainly listenable, but not the best in the reproducing the characteristics I am hearing in old NOS tubes I enjoy most.

That doesn't mean you or anyone else wouldn't enjoy them, and they might be prefereable to you to your current stock tubes. I tried many of them myself, and still have them as reference for comparison, or for trades later.

Reissues are inexpensive enough to be good first tubes for comparisons, maybe temporary end game while you look for your future "end game" tubes :)
FYI - I have tried the JJ Red/Gold label + steel/gold plated versions of JJ 12AU7 tubes, and while they are fine tubes that work and were more enjoyable than the stock Red label TA-20 stock tubes, I don't pull them out any more to listen to them. I worked through the JJ tubes fairly quickly, and I moved on to the PSVANE, Telefunken reissues, and Mullard Reissues, and haven't rotated in the JJ tubes since my first days of owning the TA-20.

As a recommendation I'd jump right into the PSVANE, Telefunken reissue, or Mullard reissue, and skip the JJ Electronics, Electro-Harmonix, and similar very inexpensive tubes. And I can also highly recommend adding 12AT7 versions "along with/instead of" the 12AU7's, at least one of the PSVANE/Telefunken(?)/Mullard 12AT7's to go with your 12AU7's, for comparison, you might like the 12AT7 sound as I do.
After reading of others experience recommending I skip JJ/ElectroHarmonix tubes, I decided I wanted to hear them for myself so I bought several JJ tubes too. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #758 of 1,989
At that time, I've tested the JJ gold and the NOS Sylvania green label.

They sound very different and even if I have a little preference, I love both type.

JJ gold have lots of punch (this is what I love with those tubes) with a good soundstage but not huge, highs are a little bright to me.

NOS Sylvania green label have never bright highs, are very balanced and have tight bass. I love their highs and their very balanced feeling when I listen with them. But they have less punch, music is less "alive" (I don't know if it makes sense for you) than with the JJ gold. It's an easy listening, not fatiguing at all.

The problem with tubes is that you have to test them, we're not all looking for the same things. For example, my husband prefer the JJ gold and I prefer the sylvania.
It also depends of your budget. I don't want to put a lot of money on the tubes and NOS tubes can be very very very expensive.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #759 of 1,989
Reissue differences vary, due to previous manufacturing equipment availability for duplication, assembly / manufacturing techniques available for reference, jigs and automation available to repopulate the line, and materials / coatings available - and investment used to recreate the product(s). It may take them years to get the right mix of materials and techniques - and training of new workers - to get the best product.

To me the reissues are capable and certainly listenable, but not the best in the reproducing the characteristics I am hearing in old NOS tubes I enjoy most.

That doesn't mean you or anyone else wouldn't enjoy them, and they might be prefereable to you to your current stock tubes. I tried many of them myself, and still have them as reference for comparison, or for trades later.

Reissues are inexpensive enough to be good first tubes for comparisons, maybe temporary end game while you look for your future "end game" tubes :)

FYI - I have tried the JJ Red/Gold label + steel/gold plated versions of JJ 12AU7 tubes, and while they are fine tubes that work and were more enjoyable than the stock Red label TA-20 stock tubes, I don't pull them out any more to listen to them. I worked through the JJ tubes fairly quickly, and I moved on to the PSVANE, Telefunken reissues, and Mullard Reissues, and haven't rotated in the JJ tubes since my first days of owning the TA-20.

As a recommendation I'd jump right into the PSVANE, Telefunken reissue, or Mullard reissue, and skip the JJ Electronics, Electro-Harmonix, and similar very inexpensive tubes. And I can also highly recommend adding 12AT7 versions "along with/instead of" the 12AU7's, at least one of the PSVANE/Telefunken(?)/Mullard 12AT7's to go with your 12AU7's, for comparison, you might like the 12AT7 sound as I do.
After reading of others experience recommending I skip those tubes, but I also wanted to hear them for myself so I bought several JJ tubes too. :beerchug:
many thanks for your explanations, I would like a tube with a warm, detailed and airy sound to listen to heavy metal music without accumulating listening fatigue, on which tubes would you direct me?

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #760 of 1,989
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #762 of 1,989
VEB Rundfunktechnik

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #763 of 1,989
Yes TAD is also a reliable source

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #764 of 1,989
At that time, I've tested the JJ gold and the NOS Sylvania green label.

They sound very different and even if I have a little preference, I love both type.

JJ gold have lots of punch (this is what I love with those tubes) with a good soundstage but not huge, highs are a little bright to me.

NOS Sylvania green label have never bright highs, are very balanced and have tight bass. I love their highs and their very balanced feeling when I listen with them. But they have less punch, music is less "alive" (I don't know if it makes sense for you) than with the JJ gold. It's an easy listening, not fatiguing at all.

The problem with tubes is that you have to test them, we're not all looking for the same things. For example, my husband prefer the JJ gold and I prefer the sylvania.
It also depends of your budget. I don't want to put a lot of money on the tubes and NOS tubes can be very very very expensive.
I've also tried and enjoyed these NOS Sylvania Green label 5963 12AU7/ECC82 compatible, $32.80 shipping found on eBay:
s-l300.jpg

The Sylvania 6201 12AT7/ECC81 equivalents are also very nice:
s-l400.jpg

And, I've found these while looking for images - the sold ebay listings have expired - and found these still available 3 (triple) Mica 6201's still available, a bit more expensive but should be quieter and longer lasting builds of the same design. In general heavy post triple mica versions are more sought after for their lower noise build components:
USA12AT7+ve+pt+072.JPG

Sylvania JHS 12AT7WA / 6201 Triple Mica

http://www.nostubestore.com/search?q=6201+mica <= a few other 6201 TMGP (triple mica black plate) in general Black Plate finish, and Silver/Chrome Plate finish are more sought after than grey plates. Welded plates are another higher priced category => https://fuzzaudio.com/vacuum-tubes-plate-cheat-sheet-fuzz-audio

I haven't bought from this dealer before, but I've run across them many times during searches, hopefully these are a long active listings as there are comments from many years ago. They have a tab explaining how to order - that is why there are no Buy/Cart buttons to select for ordering.

Then there are these Sylvania variants that look interesting: http://www.nostubestore.com/search?q=sylvania+12au7

These I found early in my search, worn off logos, non-original boxes, but 3 mica grey plate with close to 100% Lifetime measurements were a good early NOS choice.
SYLVANIA GOLD LOGO 3 MICA Gray Plate D Getter JHS 12AT7WA Tubes
s-l1600.jpg

BTW, desireme1979 is a great dealer on ebay, very nice to interact with - I encourage you to ask questions, she helped me a lot early on getting back into finding tubes.

Lots of great tubes are out there to find, the hunt is much more rewarding when you find great tubes, 12AU7, 12AT7, she adds to her listings from her inventory frequently.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back