XB700 first impressions....I think I need the 1000?
Oct 16, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 19
JVC HA M750, interesting, haven't ever heard any1 commenting on this headphone, perhaps it's new? I might have to check it out. I checked the specs and damn this must be such an easy to drive/loud headphone. Check these specs. xD

Driver Unit  1.57"(40mm) 
Magnet type  Neodymium 
Frequency Response  6-26,000Hz 
Nominal Impedance  32ohms 
Sensitivity  115dB/1mW 
Max. Input Capability  1000mW(IEC) 
Cord Length  3.94ft (1.2m) 
Weight (without cord)  8.54oz (242g) 
Plug  iPhone compatible, Gold Plated 
Accessory  6.3mm plug adaptor, 6.56ft (2m) extension cord 

Nice you even get a 2m extension cord, it seems like it was like made for listening straight out of a iPhone/iPod though. Who knows this could be another good budget sounding bass can like Panasonic HTF600. You don't have a problem with the fit though? On amazon some1 complained about the comfort but loved the sound:

Quote:
I had these headphones for a week, so here's my honest review. 

Design - 10 out of 10, the sexiest looking cans and quite light. 
Sound quality - 10 out of 10, I was very surprised, didn't expect these headphones to sound so good, they can handle perfectly any genre of music (dance, classic, jazz, rock etc). I couldn't stop listening to my old playlist all over again and again. 
Comfort - 2 out of 10, these headphones are very uncomfortable, after 20-30 mins of wering them I was in agony and taking them off was a great relief, They are way to tight, and I tried to strech them leaving them overnight on my food processor (large round item) and that didn't help much. Wearing them was like torture to me so I had to send them back. 
And by the way, my head is of a medium size, so I think they were designed for people with tiny heads, Not sure if people in Japan have tiny heads, they look normal to me. 
I was sad to send them back, but had no other choice, because comfort is just as important to me as the sound quality. 
Nest day I went to my local HMW store and bought myself Sony MDR500, I've read numerous positive reviews about them, people were raving about how comfy they were. 
And guess what? They are the most comfortable headphones, but sound quality is awful! They gave a terible headache after half an hour, so I had to return them too. 
I wish H750 were as comfortable as Sony MDR500, I'd buy two pairs at once because the sound quality blown me away. 

P.S. In HMV store I had a chance to try Monster Beats by Dr. Dre and Bose around ear headphones, and I wasn't impressed by the shoud quality, although I liked how Monster Beats looked (amazing design) and they were quite comfortable (but I only wore them for about 10 mins, so not sure if I could wear them for hours), as about Bose headphones, they looked cheap and very old-fashioned, I wore them for about 7 mins and they were quite comfy and very light.

^ That MDR500 is probably XB500 which I like a lot if you just fiddle around with EQ a little.

EDIT: Wait a min, amazon.com and amazon.co.uk reviews don't agree whatsoever about comfort, on amazon.com it's comfortable and on amazon.co.uk it isn't? Which ones to believe? lol It's $51 there, in europe it can be had for around £35. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #17 of 19
I have no problem with comfort on this headphone but then again I have a very thin shaped head squashed egg like head maybe lol.  I use these headphones with my PC it has a 24 bit Realtek sound card which is prob not considered very good but I put the settings to powerful and it gives me that perfect U shaped freq curve.  I'm not the best @ explaining this in technical terms but the reason I like the sound is because the bass is deep and impactful giving me a really dark sound, mids are a bit forward but the highs are crystal clear with good extension to my ears.  The highs are very clear though ljoker in his portable headphone thread found them to be 'harsh' I never found this to be the case but my ears are maybe not as sensitive as his!  They are certainly not veiled like the AKG K518.  Your not going to get the mid bass rumble which you get with the AKG 518 and the XB500 (haven't tried xb500 - would like to though) but to be honest I found the AKG518 no good to me because there was just mid bass bloat and veiled highs so psy trance & esp vocal trance sounded terrible for me.  I tried taking the pads out of the AKG K518 but you lost the bass impact and gained a bit more high but not a good result overall.  So with EQ and JVC your going to get a bass that thumps and extends fairly deep, decay time is going to be quick I would say.  These headphoes EQ much better than the AKG K518.  I think you might be looking for a headphone with more of a mid bass/sub bass combination with the perfect amount of mid bass rumble and sub bass thump.  The JVC's might be worth a try?  I think they are great value for £35 and they are the best headphones Ive tried out of AKG K518, Creative Aurvana Live, Senheiser HD202/205/215, Koss Portapro, Sony MDR V6 and xb300.  I haven't tried alot of expensive headphones though because budget doesn't allow lol!   

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #18 of 19
I'm also going to agree with wizard here. From DJAmtrax's review of the XB1000, it's essentially a better sounding version of the XB700, which is not what you want. However, I will say that the XB700 can output head-vibrating bass, especially if you boost the infrasonic freqs (below 20 Hz) by massive amounts (or in practice with foobar2000: cut other frequencies by massive amounts, boost the freqs by a good amount using IIR Filters, parametric equalizers, and fine-grained graphic equalizers. For reference, 4 kHz may be around -80 dB, while 10 Hz may get up to -6 dB. With numbers like that, a powerful amp is a must). The point is, regardless of what headphone you use, you're not going to get head-shaking bass without EQing a bit. The closest I've heard is the D2000, but it doesn't shake your head, it's just audible. In all the cans I've tried (those in my sig, including the recently purchased D2000), the XB700 has been heads-above-shoulders in terms of really deep bass quantity and quality. I haven't heard the XB500, but I'm finding it hard to believe that any can other than the XB1000 can have more infrasonic sound than the XB700 (which really isn't infrasonic anymore ;D). However, pretty much every other can has more bass quantity and quality above 40 Hz (anti-climactic, I know). If you like those frequencies, then the XB700 is definitely not for you (for me, I'm not a fan of the timbres that 40-100 Hz produces, though I am a fan of the cold/dark tone, which is a severe conflict of interests). It sounds like you like all frequencies of bass, so you should go with the XB500, and I'll throw in the Ultrasone HFI-580 as well. With some modest EQing, they can get a fair amount of bass. Although, the HFI580 can also go for 3x as much as the XB500, but since you were considering the XB1000, I don't think that matters too much.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #19 of 19
xb500 is better for portable. xb700 needs a good powerful amp to rattle your skull like crazy. I don't understand why the xb700 comes with a short cord, like it was made for portable, when clearly it is not, if you don't give it enough juice it won't deliver. I drive mine out of a marantz reciever and it feels like you are in the middle of great nightclub speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back