WyWires Red Headphone Cable
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #46 of 198
I've been staring at these pairs of nice looking cables for almost a week but still can't listen to them as my new amp has been delayed again, for the second time now.
This time around the distributor blamed some typhoons prevented the ship from leaving the port.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #47 of 198

Sounds just like Alex :)

True.  I emailed him on a Sunday while I was thinking about ordering my cable.  I thought it would go to the factory and I'd hear back from later that week.  He emailed me back the same day which people normally try to relax on.  Impressive.  I even felt a twinge of conscience for bothering him.
And by the way, the cord for my LCD-x is a CLEAR improvement over stock and still getting better.
Kevin

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #48 of 198
  Warren and I used the Red cables on our LCD-XCs when we locked ourselves in a hotel room for 3 days after the Newport show to compare ALL the Astell&Kern players for Head-Fi!!

Yup! 
smile.gif

As usual, the WyWires cables seem to hit on every level while always remaining musical.

Truth be told, I didn't think that would actually happen until I heard the prototype.  Once I did, I wanted one. 
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by mikemercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that they came in with an affordable cable was KEY!

Exactly!  It's one thing to just be another cable mfg... but in the same vein as Drew Baird over at @MoonAudio, Alex wanted to offer value as well. 
smile.gif

He's proud of the work you're doing now.
Both of us - I hope

And maybe me too?  A little bit? 
redface.gif

Just ordered my First Headphone cable for My Audeze LCD -2 HP'S

Hey, that should make for a pretty good pairing!  Interested in your impressions when you get a chance. 
smile.gif

I've been staring at these pairs of nice looking cables for almost a week but still can't listen to them as my new amp has been delayed again, for the second time now.
This time around the distributor blamed some typhoons prevented the ship from leaving the port.

Originally Posted by UELong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And by the way, the cord for my LCD-x is a CLEAR improvement over stock and still getting better.

BTW guys, I just wanted to note that something magical happens to the LCD-X right around 200 hours or so.  It happened to mine, and the same happened to @russtafarian's.  I just mention that because - since Alex recommends 100 hours of burn-in - might as well burn in the LCD-X too if you haven't already.
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 198
^ I'm burning in the cable, HA-1 amp and the LCD-X at the same time, but also need to alternate burning-in the Red cable for HD800

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #50 of 198
Hey all, just let my Red Cable go. Just wanted to throw out my impressions based on the month I spent with it.

My system Yulong DA8 > Denon PMA-750 or Yulong A28 > HE-6

With my system, there was a kind of plumpness around the 200-300hz range, making kick drums kind of inflated and heavy. I found that the overall signature moved toward bass heavy and moved my system away from neutral. I think there were a lot of good things about the sound however, I found the sibilance from the stock cable gone. I found it more natural. I *think* it was slightly more textured and tactile but I'm not sure. It also sounded cleaner.

I think pairing this cable with a system slightly on the bright/cold side would work really nicely. But it didn't work out for me, obviously, YMMV.

Build wise, I found with this cable was how stiff it was compared to the stock cable also, the mini-coax were very difficult to screw on to the HE-6 and IMO quite a pain as opposed to the much easier ones on the stock cable which I actually don't mind at all. Because of of the way the Red is set up it's hard/impossible to screw in the connector with one hand. From a physical perspective I prefer the stock cable by a pretty large margin.

Look wise, I found it looked better than the stock cable with leather/focuspads but worse with velours.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #53 of 198
Btw I love that I have my main cable which is wired with mini xlr (ie audeze) and that Alex made adapters for other headphones so I could use same cable with hd800 for example.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #54 of 198
Hi, not sure if that is a rhetorical question or asking for information; if it's the latter, I've no idea.

usually high-quality audio cables, like the RED, which are designed for improved transmission, should give an overall better perception of the sound.
though, I doubt a cable can make a neutral sounding headphone bass heavy. 

how bass heavy are you talking about here?

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #55 of 198
I see what you're saying now. The HE-6 should be more neutral than not AFAIK. I think if that's the case, and it may be, the weakness would be my Denon speaker amp I'm using. Here's the my perception of thick kick drum on both. A small difference on the Denon and even smaller on the fairly neutral A28.  Still on both (I think) I noticed it, mixing is a hobby of mine.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #56 of 198
I just wrote Alex an email regarding my purchase of my new Red cable for my Audeze LCD2 V2 Can's with my Oppo HA-1 And Lyr2 amp's....

Alex, I just received my Red HP cable and this cable sounds awesome compared to the stock, If you could of seen my facial expression when I slipped on my can's you would of had a big smile on your face by just looking at my reaction,I can't believe the bottom end on these, Mids, and Highs all sound awesome!!! My Audeze can's have really opened up, and I'm only 30 minuets into my listening session...
More feedback later....
atsmile.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #57 of 198
  I just wrote Alex an email regarding my purchase of my new Red cable for my Audeze LCD2 V2 Can's with my Oppo HA-1 And Lyr2 amp's....

Alex, I just received my Red HP cable and this cable sounds awesome compared to the stock, If you could of seen my facial expression when I slipped on my can's you would of had a big smile on your face by just looking at my reaction,I can't believe the bottom end on these, Mids, and Highs all sound awesome!!! My Audeze can's have really opened up, and I'm only 30 minuets into my listening session...
More feedback later....
atsmile.gif

Congrats on your cables!

Just wait until you get them broken in. For mine on Paradox Enigma's and Slants, the cables really opened up after 10 hours or so. They get even better after more hours.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #58 of 198
Headphone cables weren't even on my radar when I found myself sitting down at the WyWires table at the SF Head-Fi meet in July. Don't get me wrong, I believe cables throughout a system can make a significant, sometimes huge difference. But I just wasn't in the market for headphone cables. Or so I thought. Sitting down to Alex and Nina's warm, genuine welcome I was impressed with the rigs they had and the fact they had a set of the same headphones I have, the LCD-X, ready to demo. I chatted with Alex for a few moments and then put the headphones on and let some classic rock wash over me. The sound of the very familiar music coming from very familiar headphones really surprised me. So much so that I closed my eyes and lost track of my surroundings for a moment, caught up completely in the sound filling my head. Opening my eyes and noticing no one was staring at me I took the X's off, handed them to Alex, said thank you and nice to meet you, and let others sit down for a listen. For the rest of the day I couldn't get that sound out of my head. I heard some amazing set ups that day, but I kept coming back to that sound, telling myself it had to be the amp and DAC, or some other excuse. Anything not to lay down more cash on cables. All of that inner dialogue was to no avail. I couldn't ignore that sound and towards the end of the meet I sat back down with Alex and ordered a set of Red's for my LCD-X's. 

Alex was heading to D.C. for the show there and told me I'd have to wait about ten days for the cables. That was no problem. During this time I had some questions for Alex and never did more than an hour or so go by before he had replied to me. All of this during the show over the weekend. Many here have said it but the customer service side of Alex and WyWires is fantastic. I hunkered down and waited for my package to arrive. This last Monday I received the cables that Alex had actually finished on a Saturday. Very nice of him to work on my stuff over the weekend AND ship it. The cables are flexible but very well made and wrapped very well at the connectors. Alex had suggested to me I go 4 pin XLR and get the XLR-to-1/4 adapter for maximum compatibility. Now the true test would begin. Hearing the cable through the amazing rig Alex had at the meet and listening through my more modest set up could blow my initial impression. My headphone equipment currently includes:

1. Macbook Pro running Media Center 19
2. Burson HA-160 (still love this amp)
3. Schiit Bifrost fully upgraded DAC

Many things affect listening perception, both real and imagined. I try to guard myself from unrealistic listening expectations and I was prepared for the Red's to not impress with my equipment as they had with what Alex was running that day in SF. I'm happy to say I was impressed. In spades. Everything was more dynamic, faster (scary for the LCD-X's), and tighter. Bass went deep but never muddy. I heard nuances in well known tracks that I did not hear with the same headphones and other cables. This was with the Red's not even burned in yet. I have over twenty hours on them now, but not the one hundred Alex claims will really break them in. If they do indeed get better than what I hear now it's only a bigger win for me. As Michael Mercer said, if you have $1000+ headphones, the cost of the WyWires cable is fully within reason. I'd find it hard to believe if anyone ever bought these and took Alex up on his 30 day money back guarantee. Alex makes a fine product and stands behind them with outstanding service and support. Looking forward to more time listening through WyWires.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #59 of 198
  Got my RED a little bit ago and going through burn in right now.  Extremely happy with how they sound so far.  Definitely better than stock.  Need to do detailed comparison vs. the very nice Q cables I have also, but too much new/change equipment making it tuff at the moment.

What I can say for sure is Alex was really easy to work with.  We actually came up with a great solution for all my headphones.  He made a mini dual XLR (Audeze compatible) to 4 pin XLR on the other side.  Then he created 2 adapters for my Sennheiser so I can use the same cable.  Finally, I have a XLR to 1/4 inch adapter.  So basically I can use this cable on all my headphones and with all my amps.  Although, I did order two very different lengths (6ft and 14ft).  Looking back at it, maybe I should have done an adapter for an extension to turn the 6ft into 14ft.  That would have been one less cable to burn in.

Have you had time to make a comparison vs. Q cable yet? If you have could you please tell me how the WyWires Red sound in comparison?  

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #60 of 198
The great thing about the design of the Red is Alex paid attention to making sure the cable does not tangle and avoids any of the elements getting on the  cable. The Red on the LCD X is outstanding. i am using it in my reference system for reviewing gear. The  sound  just lets the music flow. I don't think about cables while listening with the Red. It just get out of the way. I like what it does because it does not call attention  to itself and is good value for the money. Very nice design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back