WyWires Red Headphone Cable
Jul 5, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #32 of 198
Got my RED a little bit ago and going through burn in right now.  Extremely happy with how they sound so far.  Definitely better than stock.  Need to do detailed comparison vs. the very nice Q cables I have also, but too much new/change equipment making it tuff at the moment.

What I can say for sure is Alex was really easy to work with.  We actually came up with a great solution for all my headphones.  He made a mini dual XLR (Audeze compatible) to 4 pin XLR on the other side.  Then he created 2 adapters for my Sennheiser so I can use the same cable.  Finally, I have a XLR to 1/4 inch adapter.  So basically I can use this cable on all my headphones and with all my amps.  Although, I did order two very different lengths (6ft and 14ft).  Looking back at it, maybe I should have done an adapter for an extension to turn the 6ft into 14ft.  That would have been one less cable to burn in.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #33 of 198
I received my WyWire Red Headphone cables about two weeks ago, and they've been settling in. Alex was great to work with. I've done quite a bit of DIY and had some wonderful Furutech CF-H800(R) connectors sitting around. Alex gladly used them for my cables, and adjusted the pricing accordingly. The CF-H800(R) seems to be very good quality and has a very solid snap when it seats with the phone. Anyway, it was great to work with Alex.

Here are some brief comments I emailed to Alex:

"Just a few reflections on the HD800 Red Headphone cable. In a word, glorious. The upper treble glare is gone, replaced by silky natural, shimmering highs! In fact, this is perhaps the most naturally rendered timbre and harmonically true cable I have used. I had no idea that copper could sound so free and open! (I’ve had Cardas best cables in my big rig for years.) These start out fairly constrained, not lifeless, but seemingly held back. This is different from most Ag formulations that start out piercing and edgy (aggressive), and then mellow. Yes, during the first ten hours the Red opens up, relaxes, and becomes freer. However, it seems that it was the 30+ hours mark that my brain really started picking up on the spacial characteristics, placement, staging, yet with utter focus."

Honestly, the stock cable is quite good, but typical of Ag hybrid formulations, it needs time, a lot of time, for them to settle. Still, in comparison, the Red provides improved midrange body, with silky highs that are just as detailed as the stock cable but without the strident sibilance. Highs are reproduced without a hint of glare. Bass lines are very easy to follow and provide a purity that seems uncommon. It's neither bloated or accented, but the cable does seem to allow you to better hear the lower registers. 

The cable is a bit stiff, but maybe that's to be expected with the 16 AWG specification. Cable microphonic's are well controlled, and probably have partly to do with the individually sleeved cotton runs. Nice touch! 

I'm running a single-ended (highly modified) DNA Sonett. Frankly, I don't recall what it sounds like stock, but this one sounds wonderful with the HD800 and the WyWire Red headphone cable. There's plenty of oomph when the music calls for it. Otherwise, this is one of the most even, neutral sounding rigs I've heard. The WyWire Red headphone cable contributes to the overall kit with improved sound-staging, midrange body, and pure, extended bass.

I haven't heard many other cables (except my own DIY variations), but the Red betters or equals most everything I've owned or built myself. At the Red's price point, you'd have to spend a lot more to do better. At this sound quality level, better is often merely different. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 198
14 feet?  Holy carp that's long. 
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #36 of 198
  I was really ready to sell my HD800's until I got the WyWires Red cable. Now I'm enjoying these phones a lot even on my solid state amp!

This post just made my night!!!!

As we're going to write the whole origin story of the Wywires Red Cable soon - but basically - Alex and Nina of Wywires (great people, and friends of mine) approached me at last years California Audio Fest about building a high end headphone cable - and I was psyched! I LOVED Alex's cables - from his analog signal cables to his USB cable (which is still my #1 USB cable when I travel - the lowest noise-floor and most airy digital/USB lead I've heard (pictured below w/ HiFi-M8 & my Audeze LCD-2s w/ Fazor) - and I knew Alex could come up with something fast!

So, before Alex even had a pair of cans at the factory, he shipped me the first prototype for Audeze and Sennheiser HD800s - and I reported back to him, and then he had a second prototype...
Next thing you know - we're at his third prototype cable for both Audeze and Senn HD800s - and because I wanted more ears on this - I headed down to my friend Dan Meinwald's place (importer for E.A.R, Marten Audio, Townshend and more) and met @warrenpchi there along with Kevin Venable (thought his handle was Moreseratonin - might be misspelling it) - both are my boys and fellow Audio360ers!

We put the third Wywires prototype through its paces with my MacBook Pro/Amarra as source,
and my CEntrance HiFi-M8 wired with Wywires LTD SPD USB cable (here's a pic from the listening session w/ third Wywires prototype cable for Audeze):

and we also threw it at the E.A.R HP4 (with an HRT microStreamer as the DAC ahead of it)  
- and we used Audeze LCD-3s and Sennheiser HD800s...

We all agreed the third prototype was a killer cable! Even Dan (Meinwald) who "hates headphones" enjoyed the sound of the Wywires cable and Audeze LCD-3!
After reporting back to Alex - he made a slight adjustment in the capacitance of the cable (which I heard - and it was even better) and also made it more flexible.

I brought the Wywires prototype cable for Audeze and HD800s to CanJan last year, and that's how I experienced the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold and Liquid Glass 
for the first time (now I own a Liquid Gold) w/ my LCD-3s!!

We thought Alex and Nina had a WINNER - and he was aiming for 300 bucks, which makes sense for a $1,500 set of cans!!

So, seeing the Global response to the Wywires Red headphone cable warms my heart! Great people, and a community effort! Naturally Alex got a pair of Audeze
and HD800s and a headphone amp at his office/factory after we all agreed he had a magic headphone cable!!

Since then Alex and Nina have supported a bunch of Head-Fi events, and we couldn't be happier for them!!!!
AND:  - My fondness for my HD800s grew rapidly with the Wywires Red cable too! I'm SO psyched to see great people like Alex and Nina, who also hail from the high end audio world (he still builds cables for that market as well of course) come into the personal audio community with open minds and open arms.

Right on!! I take my Wywires Red cable everywhere I go!
Been meaning to write this story - so figured here would be the best place to start!

Warren and I used the Red cables on our LCD-XCs when we locked ourselves in a hotel room for 3 days after the Newport show to compare ALL the Astell&Kern players for Head-Fi!!

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #37 of 198
Nice story Mike, thanks for sharing!! I started out with WyWires years ago trying some of their power cords. The cables were really great and Alex was a pleasure to deal with, so those cables snowballed into IC's and USB cables for my speaker rig. He's seen me through many unbalanced/balanced system changes. When I heard Alex was prototyping headphone cables, I knew I would be buying those too. As usual, the WyWires cables seem to hit on every level while always remaining musical.

Another really important part of the puzzle is how great Alex has been to work with. Over the years I have seen him at many trade shows and he is always friendly and approachable. He's happy to talk shop and discuss his cables or other gear. I even bought some Marten speakers after hearing he had just got a pair and really liked them. Via e-mail he has always been quick to respond and willing to work with me whatever my needs are at the time. I love supporting local companies, and WyWires just keeps getting better every year. Many thanks to Alex and Nina for the great cables and service!

John

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #38 of 198
  Nice story Mike, thanks for sharing!! I started out with WyWires years ago trying some of their power cords. The cables were really great and Alex was a pleasure to deal with, so those cables snowballed into IC's and USB cables for my speaker rig. He's seen me through many unbalanced/balanced system changes. When I heard Alex was prototyping headphone cables, I knew I would be buying those too. As usual, the WyWires cables seem to hit on every level while always remaining musical.

Another really important part of the puzzle is how great Alex has been to work with. Over the years I have seen him at many trade shows and he is always friendly and approachable. He's happy to talk shop and discuss his cables or other gear. I even bought some Marten speakers after hearing he had just got a pair and really liked them. Via e-mail he has always been quick to respond and willing to work with me whatever my needs are at the time. I love supporting local companies, and WyWires just keeps getting better every year. Many thanks to Alex and Nina for the great cables and service!

John

Thanks John!!

and YES - Alex and Nina ROCK
That's also a BIG reason why I was so pumped that they looked into this end of the market and decided to JUMP ON IN!!!
VERY smart - and, that they came in with an affordable cable was KEY!

Also:
We get to show people who think better cable is snake-oil that EVERYTHING in the signal chain counts!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #40 of 198
  Thanks John and Michael for the kind words!

of course brother!!
You've been doing a proper job with your cables since you hit the scene, and the first time I met you guys I knew why. It had nothing to do with anything technological for me: You and Nina are just great people, and like I said before: You're open-minded and curious! 

Besides: I remember when Lee (Weiland) was still with us, and you told me that you thought his USB cables were amazing, and that you were psyched a few of us dug yours! That said more than most as you were coming from a genuine place Alex. There was no silly competitive -lemme slam on this guys design so I can big up my own- vibe goin' on. I HATE that!

He's proud of the work you're doing now.
Both of us - I hope

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 198
  Funny enough my WyWires USB cable replaced my Locus Designs Axis. Lee was a great dude, and made great cables, but I preferred the WyWires in my system. RIP Lee....

Yea but the Cynosure still remains as the greatest USB cable of all time! Don't know how many Lee sold of those but they were magic. Unfortunately the formula for the Cynosure is resting with Lee.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #44 of 198
Just ordered my First Headphone cable for My Audeze LCD -2 HP'S, I was wonderfully surprised when Alex picked up the phone and took my order and chatted with me like we were old Friends.Very much looking forward to my new cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back